MPH 2020 Canada

Jill98

5 hours ago, zainnnny said:

USask ppl haven’t replied to anyone as of now, I guess. I wrote to them a few days ago and they said that they will start inform all students of their decision by April. So, I am guessing that we will start hearing from them by the end of this month.

Would you please share your profile details? Have you applied to UoA too?

I completed my medical studies from India with an average of 3.0 GPA.

Internship for a year in rural areas dealing with patients on a regular basis which I'm hoping would boost the public health experience. 

Published a paper with my professor in one of the online journals.

Internship for 2 months in one of the teaching hospitals in the US.

Currently working under a physician in a private hospital in India. 

I understand that my profile isn't that strong, especially the score. Hope some opportunity opens up. I've been logging into the portals every day. The uncertainty and waiting period is exhausting.

21 hours ago, jrh008 said:

Congrats! I also received my UBC MPH acceptance this morning! Still waiting to hear from the MSc PPH at UBC. 

Nice, congrats to you as well! :)  Any preference between the two?

21 hours ago, zainnnny said:

Many, many congratulations!

Which concentration did you apply for? Would be really grateful if you could share your profile deets. Pretty please!?

Also, have you heard anything from UoA yet?

Thank you!

UBC doesn't have MPH concentrations - I believe only UoA and UoT have specific concentrations for their MPH programs. I haven't heard back from UoA yet, I submitted my app in early December for the Health Promotion stream and status still says 'under review' on GSMS.

Profile below:

- Canadian, BSc in Microbiology & Nutrition; also took a few public health-related courses during undergrad
- Final GPA for last 2 years: 4.0/4.33; Stats grade: A- 
- Volunteered for different clubs throughout undergrad, including some leadership and major-specific clubs, and for a hospital's eating disorders research program for 1.5 years where many patients were a part of a vulnerable population
- Worked a government job while I was in undergrad for 3 years, primarily admin type stuff but had some health elements. 
- Over 2 years of work as a research assistant for a community-based health promotion initiative associated with UBC and a Vancouver hospital
- References were my PI (doctor who also holds a MSc in PH), a prof whom I knew well from 2 of my courses, and manager from my gov't job.
- My LOI was the bane of my existence, but I worked on it for 2+ months and had 3 different MPH alumni (2 were my coworkers) proofread it, as well as bunch of other non-PH people. I also worked with 2 other UBC MPH students who did their practicum with my organization, so got lots of advice about the program from them.

I should mention that it's my 2nd time applying for MPH programs; the first was in 2017 (applied to 5 schools and didn't get into any of them). I definitely recommend having relevant PH experience before you apply as that probably boosted my app, as well as having a well-written LOI.

Waiting to hear from: SFU, Guelph, Western and Waterloo. I'll most likely go with a BC-based school because I'm a city girl and won't be able to handle Ontario weather lol.

1 minute ago, Sekai said:

Thank you!

UBC doesn't have MPH concentrations - I believe only UoA and UoT have specific concentrations for their MPH programs. I haven't heard back from UoA yet, I submitted my app in early December for the Health Promotion stream and status still says 'under review' on GSMS.

Profile below:

- Canadian, BSc in Microbiology & Nutrition; also took a few public health-related courses during undergrad
- Volunteered for different clubs throughout undergrad, including some leadership and major-specific clubs, and for a hospital's eating disorders research program for 1.5 years where many patients were a part of a vulnerable population
- Worked a government job while I was in undergrad for 3 years, primarily admin type stuff but had some health elements. 
- Over 2 years of work as a research assistant for a community-based health promotion initiative associated with UBC and a Vancouver hospital
- References were my PI (doctor who also holds a MSc in PH), a prof whom I knew well from 2 of my courses, and manager from my gov't job.
- My LOI was the bane of my existence, but I worked on it for 2+ months and had 3 different MPH alumni (2 were my coworkers) proofread it, as well as bunch of other non-PH people. I also worked with 2 other UBC MPH students who did their practicum with my organization, so got lots of advice about the program from them.

I should mention that it's my 2nd time applying for MPH programs; the first was in 2017 (applied to 5 schools and didn't get into any of them). I definitely recommend having relevant PH experience before you apply as that probably boosted my app, as well as having a well-written LOI.

Waiting to hear from: SFU, Guelph, Western and Waterloo. I'll most likely go with a BC-based school because I'm a city girl and won't be able to handle Ontario weather lol.

Congratulations!

20 minutes ago, Sekai said:

Thank you!

Profile below:

Wow! Such a strong profile.

Do you have any idea why my UoA profile is still at prescreening While everyone else’s is at under review stage!? 

1 hour ago, zainnnny said:

Wow! Such a strong profile.

Do you have any idea why my UoA profile is still at prescreening While everyone else’s is at under review stage!? 

Zainnnny have you tried contacting them? In my experience they reply very quickly and have helped relieve some anxieties. I know they are going through internal changes within the faculty so that may be why it is taking a bit longer.

14 minutes ago, RMSK said:

Has anyone contacted lakehead/brock/western? I would but I feel like I am annoying them LOL stress is getting to me 

I think someone did reach out to them and they said we will hear back mid March to end of march? Not sure cause I am waiting to lol 

Hey Everyone!

Just saw this forum. Congrats to everyone out there who have received their offers. My aplication at UBC MPH says "in progress" since December 2019, I am not sure what it looks like for others. Even for UVIC, mine says "Under review by Department" since last 4 months!! What do you guys see on your status?

1 minute ago, katniss055 said:

Hey Everyone!

Just saw this forum. Congrats to everyone out there who have received their offers. My aplication at UBC MPH says "in progress" since December 2019, I am not sure what it looks like for others. Even for UVIC, mine says "Under review by Department" since last 4 months!! What do you guys see on your status?

I see the same thing!! 

Hey Everyone!

Hello! 

I know these past couple of days people have gotten acceptances to UBC MPH - I got waitlisted this morning. As for UVIC, mine also says "Under Review by Department". 

Even for SFU, there is no application status portal. Like when you log in, it just says submitted. I did contact SFU, and they said they would send offers in first week of March. 

Really? First week of March? I haven't heard anything back from them.

Even for SFU, there is no application status portal. Like when you log in, it just says submitted. I did contact SFU, and they said they would send offers in first week of March. 

Huh. No one I've seen on the forum has heard back, so they have probably pushed that back haha. When did they say that?

8 minutes ago, katniss055 said:

I called the MPH contact (yesterday) person and she said by the end of March. First week of March has passed so I'm thinking they'll be sending out decisions any day now.

Edited by Hedwig

1 hour ago, katniss055 said:

Hey! There is an application status button under Quick Links or below step 6. Doesn't give much info but I imagine this is where you'd see an update once a decision is made