MPH 2020 Canada

Jill98

7 hours ago, SheeBella said:

Guys, Canadian universities have started suspending their activities for all staff and students due to COVID-19. Do y'all think it might have an effect on the admission process and also on international students? Maybe travel bans etc. But anyway, September is far so praying that things will get better. 

Damn you have a good point. 

7 hours ago, SheeBella said:

Guys, Canadian universities have started suspending their activities for all staff and students due to COVID-19. Do y'all think it might have an effect on the admission process and also on international students? Maybe travel bans etc. But anyway, September is far so praying that things will get better. 

Emailed lakehead and they said if worst comes to worst they will be working from home to avoid delays, I imagine other schools would do the same. 

On 3/10/2020 at 8:58 PM, zainnnny said:

Hi,

Do you know anyone who has gotten acceptance for MPH Epi at UoA?

I also applied for MPH Epi too at UoA. Bear track says decision pending. 

58 minutes ago, sm99 said:

Hi everyone! Just got my U of A Health and Promotion (distance learning) acceptance! :) For those still waiting, don't lose hope!!

Congrats!! Waiting for the same stream.can you please share ur profile 

25 minutes ago, MPHBound2020 said:

I have been following this thread for a while but I have not posted. Just got my offer letter from UVic!!

Good luck to everybody anticipating a response and congratulations to everyone already admitted!!!!

Congrats!! 

1 hour ago, MPHBound2020 said:

I have been following this thread for a while but I have not posted. Just got my offer letter from UVic!!

Good luck to everybody anticipating a response and congratulations to everyone already admitted!!!!

Congratulations ! Do you mind me asking when did you apply ? And to which stream in class or online ?

Edited by katniss055

On 3/12/2020 at 4:35 AM, anoroC said:

Hi guys, congratulations to everyone who have got their acceptance, and wish good luck for others that are waiting.

Between McGill MscPH and UBC MPH, which one is better for an anglophone international medical graduate (my French is very weak) who wants to get Permanent Residency to apply for medical residency (fortunately, I have been accepted in both)?

For about the same tuition, McGill is 60 credits vs UBC 42. Plus the first is a Msc (any thoughts is it good or bad?). McGill has some sort of concentration (I suppose one should choose between three of them after starting their studies), but UBC does not have any concentration. However, UBC seems to be higher in academic rankings, the weather is better, and you won't have to worry for French. UBC's medical residency return of service is 2 years (vs McGill's 4 years) and in contrast with Quebec, it doesn't need French to get a medical licensure (though I'm not sure which one accepts more IMGs for medical residency). Plus, knowing the annual budget of UBC is around twice as much as McGill, which one do you think gives more financial support to its Public Health students (I mean scholarships, bursaries, TA, RA, ...)?

I would appreciate your comments on any of the items mentioned above.

Hi, I got into both UBC MPH and McGill MScPH as well and I am still deciding between both programs. McGill is an MSc because of the heavy statistics and epidemiology component. In terms of your french, you will get by just fine in Montreal, as most people speak English. I did french immersion in high school and graduated bilingual, but it has been many years and I struggle speaking as well!

In terms of financial support, my first impression is that there are more scholarship opportunities and bursaries available at UBC. Perhaps this is because I am a BC resident, not a Quebec resident. I struggled to find information on financial support online for McGill, and my acceptance letter stated that there are no bursaries available to students in the program. However, you can apply for bursaries at UBC. You can also factor in the cost of living; the cost of living in Vancouver is extremely high, while Montreal is known for a much cheaper cost of living. 

49 minutes ago, katniss055 said:

Congratulations ! Do you mind me asking when did you apply ? And to which stream in class or online ?

Online. I'm an international applicant. I completed my Bachelor's degree in Biomedicine and Health with a minor in Chemistry. Cumulative GPA 3.84/4.00. Statistics A+. 

I was a part of a study abroad program which allowed me to visit Ghana in 2018 and analyze their public health sector- my LOI was mostly about this.

4 years of cancer research and 2 of my LORs were from PIs who were also professors. (I submitted 4 letters in total). I also have experience working in an opthalmic pracitce.

I submitted my application early Nov.

Edited by MPHBound2020

On 3/12/2020 at 11:35 PM, anoroC said:

Hi guys, congratulations to everyone who have got their acceptance, and wish good luck for others that are waiting.

Between McGill MscPH and UBC MPH, which one is better for an anglophone international medical graduate (my French is very weak) who wants to get Permanent Residency to apply for medical residency (fortunately, I have been accepted in both)?

For about the same tuition, McGill is 60 credits vs UBC 42. Plus the first is a Msc (any thoughts is it good or bad?). McGill has some sort of concentration (I suppose one should choose between three of them after starting their studies), but UBC does not have any concentration. However, UBC seems to be higher in academic rankings, the weather is better, and you won't have to worry for French. UBC's medical residency return of service is 2 years (vs McGill's 4 years) and in contrast with Quebec, it doesn't need French to get a medical licensure (though I'm not sure which one accepts more IMGs for medical residency). Plus, knowing the annual budget of UBC is around twice as much as McGill, which one do you think gives more financial support to its Public Health students (I mean scholarships, bursaries, TA, RA, ...)?

I would appreciate your comments on any of the items mentioned above.

Hi @anoroC I've lived in Montreal and its super affordable if you're worried about money and you don't need to speak French! I wouldn't worry about rankings as they don't really matter in Canada (especially between UBC and McGill). But if your main concern is getting PR, maybe research if living/having residency in one province is advantageous over the other in terms of immigration when you apply for PR after your masters? I thought the return of service agreement is based on which province you do the residency training, not where you get your masters but i don't know much about that aspect. Good luck :)

3 hours ago, Meeha said:

Congrats!! Waiting for the same stream.can you please share ur profile 

Thankyou!! :)

Graduating this year from an Hon. BSc program- major: Biomedical Sciences and minor: Chemistry  cGPA: 3.8/4.0, Statistics ( Intro to Stats: A and Med Stats: A) worked at multiple clinics part-time while in school, wrote my LOI super late (one day before the deadline yikes!), semi-professional dancer, multiple volunteering positions (hospital paediatrics unit, health promotion with non-profit heart health organizations and the Canadian skin cancer foundation etc. - nothing too big haha), lots of research the past 4 years (thesis, summer studentships, independent studies etc. in both biomedical sciences and chemistry), LORs were my PI and employers at the clinics. Submitted on the deadline- really wasnt expecting to get in so dont worry, it'll hopefully be positive news for you! 

7 minutes ago, sm99 said:

Thankyou!! :)

Graduating this year from an Hon. BSc program- major: Biomedical Sciences and minor: Chemistry  cGPA: 3.8/4.0, Statistics ( Intro to Stats: A and Med Stats: A) worked at multiple clinics part-time while in school, wrote my LOI super late (one day before the deadline yikes!), semi-professional dancer, multiple volunteering positions (hospital paediatrics unit, health promotion with non-profit heart health organizations and the Canadian skin cancer foundation etc. - nothing too big haha), lots of research the past 4 years (thesis, summer studentships, independent studies etc. in both biomedical sciences and chemistry), LORs were my PI and employers at the clinics. Submitted on the deadline- really wasnt expecting to get in so dont worry, it'll hopefully be positive news for you! 

Your profile is great!! Glad you got in. I really hope I hear something positive.

5 hours ago, sm99 said:

Hi everyone! Just got my U of A Health and Promotion (distance learning) acceptance! :) For those still waiting, don't lose hope!!

Congrats!! I applied to Health promo as well but still waiting for notification. I'm wondering whether you received the message via your personal email to create the app or the UAlberta email ? 

2 hours ago, MPHBound2020 said:

Online. I'm an international applicant. I completed my Bachelor's degree in Biomedicine and Health with a minor in Chemistry. Cumulative GPA 3.84/4.00. Statistics A+. 

I was a part of a study abroad program which allowed me to visit Ghana in 2018 and analyze their public health sector- my LOI was mostly about this.

4 years of cancer research and 2 of my LORs were from PIs who were also professors. (I submitted 4 letters in total). I also have experience working in an opthalmic pracitce.

I submitted my application early Nov.

so good !

3 minutes ago, mph_20 said:

Hi everyone! Received an offer of admission for the MPH program from University of Victoria today! 

Congratulations! When approximately did you receive your offer and was it through email??