MPH 2020 Canada

Jill98

1 hour ago, mph101 said:

I called the MPH contact (yesterday) person and she said by the end of March. First week of March has passed so I'm thinking they'll be sending out decisions any day now.

Thanks for phoning them! I emailed on the weekend and I did not hear back. 

I'm eagerly checking my email all the time haha. 

4 minutes ago, ruralbcgal said:

Thanks for phoning them! I emailed on the weekend and I did not hear back. 

I'm eagerly checking my email all the time haha. 

No problem, happy to help all of us in the same boat. I have to say that I phoned them once previously (I think in February) and was told we'd be hearing from them in early April- so I am not sure how accurate these dates are.

23 minutes ago, glhw said:

thats great news! whats your profile?

Thank you! Although not sure what to expect now ahah. Profile below:

- Graduated May 2019 with a BKin from UBC

- Final GPA from last 2 years: 3.95/4.33; Stats grade: A+ (90%)

- Volunteer work expands from volunteering with people with disability, at the hospital in the ICU/pre-/post-operative care units, volunteered abroad as well in various clinics (including physiotherapy clinics, optometrist clinics, and cancer clinics) - All these roles have been ongoing for 4-5 years

- Have a conference abstract publication in pulmonary exercise physiology and 1.5+ years of research experience throughout my undergraduate

- Certifications in FMS, BCAK, First Aid, and CPR

- Worked two jobs as a kinesiologist upon graduation in this past gap year

- References were my pulmonary physiology professor (who supervised our research), supervisor from the hospital I volunteered at, and another supervisor from the persons with disability centre I volunteered at. Other universities required a secondary academic reference so I included another undergraduate professor familiar with my work.

- Worked on my LOI for about 1.5-2 months and got feedback from 3+ people in public health or in the MSc OEH program and quite a handful of people outside of the field

- Second time applying as well. First time I applied to UBC and SFU and wrote my LOI in 3 days; got rejected from both. This time I've applied to UBC, SFU, UVIC, USask, and U of A. Applied for both the MPH and MSc OEH at UBC. Got accepted into the MSc OEH so far and waitlisted to UBC MPH. Still waiting on the rest. 

9 minutes ago, mph101 said:

No problem, happy to help all of us in the same boat. I have to say that I phoned them once previously (I think in February) and was told we'd be hearing from them in early April- so I am not sure how accurate these dates are.

I heard back and they said they will contact applicants toward the end of March/beginning of April. I wish we had more time to respond to the UBC offer. 

Just now, ruralbcgal said:

I heard back and they said they will contact applicants toward the end of March/beginning of April. I wish we had more time to respond to the UBC offer. 

Damn, that's so late! Why's it gotta be so stressful mannnnnn

2 hours ago, xttr said:

- Volunteer work expands from volunteering with people with disability, at the hospital in the ICU/pre-/post-operative care units, volunteered abroad as well in various clinics (including physiotherapy clinics, optometrist clinics, and cancer clinics) - All these roles have been ongoing for 4-5 years

- Have a conference abstract publication in pulmonary exercise physiology and 1.5+ years of research experience throughout my undergraduate

- References were my pulmonary physiology professor (who supervised our research), supervisor from the hospital I volunteered at, and another supervisor from the persons with disability centre I volunteered at. Other universities required a secondary academic reference so I included another undergraduate professor familiar with my work.

- Worked on my LOI for about 1.5-2 months and got feedback from 3+ people in public health or in the MSc OEH program and quite a handful of people outside of the field

- Second time applying as well. First time I applied to UBC and SFU and wrote my LOI in 3 days; got rejected from both. This time I've applied to UBC, SFU, UVIC, USask, and U of A. Applied for both the MPH and MSc OEH at UBC. Got accepted into the MSc OEH so far and waitlisted to UBC MPH. Still waiting on the rest. 

Your profile is great!! Damn starting to think I wont get in this year and will have to improve my application. 

3 minutes ago, Meeha said:

Your profile is great!! Damn starting to think I wont get in this year and will have to improve my application. 

Aww thanks so much! And we're all here to help each other (I hope haha). What's your profile looking like right now? Feel free to share if you want!

2 hours ago, xttr said:

12 hours ago, Sekai said:

Nice, congrats to you as well! :)  Any preference between the two?

I think my preference would be MPH over MSC in Public Health, however, still debating on whether I want to go the research route or practicum route. Have you accepted your offer to UBC? 

Hi guys, congratulations to everyone who have got their acceptance, and wish good luck for others that are waiting.

Between McGill MscPH and UBC MPH, which one is better for an anglophone international medical graduate (my French is very weak) who wants to get Permanent Residency to apply for medical residency (fortunately, I have been accepted in both)?

For about the same tuition, McGill is 60 credits vs UBC 42. Plus the first is a Msc (any thoughts is it good or bad?). McGill has some sort of concentration (I suppose one should choose between three of them after starting their studies), but UBC does not have any concentration. However, UBC seems to be higher in academic rankings, the weather is better, and you won't have to worry for French. UBC's medical residency return of service is 2 years (vs McGill's 4 years) and in contrast with Quebec, it doesn't need French to get a medical licensure (though I'm not sure which one accepts more IMGs for medical residency). Plus, knowing the annual budget of UBC is around twice as much as McGill, which one do you think gives more financial support to its Public Health students (I mean scholarships, bursaries, TA, RA, ...)?

I would appreciate your comments on any of the items mentioned above.

9 hours ago, jrh008 said:

I think my preference would be MPH over MSC in Public Health, however, still debating on whether I want to go the research route or practicum route. Have you accepted your offer to UBC? 

I'm holding off from accepting the offer until I hear back from SFU. All these other schools are taking forever! 

1 hour ago, Sekai said:

I'm holding off from accepting the offer until I hear back from SFU. All these other schools are taking forever! 

When’s your deadline to accept the UBC offer? Because I think some people were told SFU wouldn’t release decisions until end of March or early April.

36 minutes ago, kat95 said:

For people waiting on Queen’s - I emailed and they said they will be sending out their first round of offers, rejections and wait list next week! 

Any update from Alberta, Guelph, Saskatchewan, Dalhousie?

2 hours ago, xttr said:

When’s your deadline to accept the UBC offer? Because I think some people were told SFU wouldn’t release decisions until end of March or early April.

We have until April 1st to accept, which is not a lot of time considering the other schools probably won't start sending out offers until April at this rate. If SFU does take that long... UBC it is, lol. 

1 hour ago, Mphasp said:

Any update from Alberta, Guelph, Saskatchewan, Dalhousie?

Heard nothing from UoA or Guelph. 

1 hour ago, mphontario202 said:

Hi congrats to everyone who has been accepted! 

I haven't seen a forum for epidemiology (MSc) programs, just wondering if anyone else has applied/heard back? 

Which MSc programs have you applied to? I got accepted to Western about a month ago. 

For all those who are wondering about USask, I received an offer of admission to the on-campus MPH program this afternoon. The deadline to notify is March 27th. I personally think I will decline this one so that's one more spot for someone else!

Hi all, I received acceptance to UofA's Health Policy and Management stream this afternoon. Still waiting to hear back from their Health Promotion stream (distance), UBC, SFU, UVic, and USask (distance). Congrats to all who have received acceptances, and good luck to those still waiting :) 

A friend of mine said they contacted UofA, and they expect to have all offers out by the end of the month, with epi being the last to go out. 

3 hours ago, Braki said:

For all those who are wondering about USask, I received an offer of admission to the on-campus MPH program this afternoon. The deadline to notify is March 27th. I personally think I will decline this one so that's one more spot for someone else!

Are you domestic or international

Guys, Canadian universities have started suspending their activities for all staff and students due to COVID-19. Do y'all think it might have an effect on the admission process and also on international students? Maybe travel bans etc. But anyway, September is far so praying that things will get better.