MPH 2020 Canada

Jill98

2 hours ago, klesis7 said:

Congrats!! I applied to Health promo as well but still waiting for notification. I'm wondering whether you received the message via your personal email to create the app or the UAlberta email ? 

I think they send it to both but I regularly check my personal email! Found out through there and went to the grad portal to see the actual decision.

11 hours ago, RMSK said:

Emailed lakehead and they said if worst comes to worst they will be working from home to avoid delays, I imagine other schools would do the same. 

Aah.... That's better. 

Thanks. 

4 hours ago, sm99 said:

Thankyou!! :)

Graduating this year from an Hon. BSc program- major: Biomedical Sciences and minor: Chemistry  cGPA: 3.8/4.0, Statistics ( Intro to Stats: A and Med Stats: A) worked at multiple clinics part-time while in school, wrote my LOI super late (one day before the deadline yikes!), semi-professional dancer, multiple volunteering positions (hospital paediatrics unit, health promotion with non-profit heart health organizations and the Canadian skin cancer foundation etc. - nothing too big haha), lots of research the past 4 years (thesis, summer studentships, independent studies etc. in both biomedical sciences and chemistry), LORs were my PI and employers at the clinics. Submitted on the deadline- really wasnt expecting to get in so dont worry, it'll hopefully be positive news for you! 

Oh wow!

So this story of rolling admissions and that the sooner one applies the better actually ain't the case?? 

Congratulations on your acceptance. You've got such a strong profile! 

I have been accepted to McGill MScPH and UBC MPH. I am still waiting for SFU and U of A (Epi specialization). UBC and McGill are my top choices, and I am still deciding between the two. I am leaning towards UBC since it is close to home and there are more scholarship opportunities. Congrats to everyone who has heard back :)

23 hours ago, AryynMPH said:

Hi, I got into both UBC MPH and McGill MScPH as well and I am still deciding between both programs. McGill is an MSc because of the heavy statistics and epidemiology component. In terms of your french, you will get by just fine in Montreal, as most people speak English. I did french immersion in high school and graduated bilingual, but it has been many years and I struggle speaking as well!

In terms of financial support, my first impression is that there are more scholarship opportunities and bursaries available at UBC. Perhaps this is because I am a BC resident, not a Quebec resident. I struggled to find information on financial support online for McGill, and my acceptance letter stated that there are no bursaries available to students in the program. However, you can apply for bursaries at UBC. You can also factor in the cost of living; the cost of living in Vancouver is extremely high, while Montreal is known for a much cheaper cost of living. 

22 hours ago, glhw said:

Hi @anoroC I've lived in Montreal and its super affordable if you're worried about money and you don't need to speak French! I wouldn't worry about rankings as they don't really matter in Canada (especially between UBC and McGill). But if your main concern is getting PR, maybe research if living/having residency in one province is advantageous over the other in terms of immigration when you apply for PR after your masters? I thought the return of service agreement is based on which province you do the residency training, not where you get your masters but i don't know much about that aspect. Good luck :)

Thank you @AryynMPH and @glhw for your comments.

In terms of cost of living, I've also heard that Montreal is cheaper than Vancouver, but if that's the case, why the cost of student housing seems to be higher for McGill (Single room in McGill around $15000 and UBC around $13000 per 8 months)?

Concerning French language, my main concern is getting Permanent Residency, and what I really meant was French requirement for getting PR which I've heard needs to be at least level B2 CEFR for Quebec. Is it easy to study in Quebec and apply for PR in another province?

Also regarding what I said about residency training, I thought maybe it would be easier to get into a medical residency program in the same province that one studies their previous degree?

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Edited by anoroC

On 3/13/2020 at 10:32 PM, La Bella said:

I also applied for MPH Epi too at UoA. Bear track says decision pending. 

Hey!

Have you heard anything from UAlberta so far?

Also what does your status on the portal says?

4 hours ago, AryynMPH said:

I have been accepted to McGill MScPH and UBC MPH. I am still waiting for SFU and U of A (Epi specialization). UBC and McGill are my top choices, and I am still deciding between the two. I am leaning towards UBC since it is close to home and there are more scholarship opportunities. Congrats to everyone who has heard back :)

I guess all the epi people at UoA are waiting to hear back from them. I did write to UAlberta and they said they will let everyone know by 1st of April.

What does your application status on Beartracks read? Mine still says prescreening.

P.S.: Congratulations on your acceptance(s)!

15 hours ago, ZM20 said:

How about any Guelph applicants, any updates?

Hi there. Guelph applicant here. Have not heard back yet. Guess they will send out results April, May. I have also applied for Alberta MPH global health and the wait is almost making me carzy!

17 hours ago, AryynMPH said:

hi congrats really UBC for mph offers scholarships

22 hours ago, anoroC said:

In terms of cost of living, I've also heard that Montreal is cheaper than Vancouver, but if that's the case, why the cost of student housing seems to be higher for McGill (Single room in McGill around $15000 and UBC around $13000 per 8 months)?

Concerning French language, my main concern is getting Permanent Residency, and what I really meant was French requirement for getting PR which I've heard needs to be at least level B2 CEFR for Quebec. Is it easy to study in Quebec and apply for PR in another province?

Also regarding what I said about residency training, I thought maybe it would be easier to get into a medical residency program in the same province that one studies their previous degree?

Hi there, 

Unless you want to apply for permanent residency in Quebec, you actually don’t need to be proficient in French. You can apply for PR through Express Entry with one year work experience from another province. The most common route students use to attain PR is [go to school in any province] -> [move to province of choice] -> [get one year work experience to become PR eligible] -> [apply for PR through Express Entry]. Studying in Quebec has no bearing on the process. 

Applying for PR is Quebec is generally more difficult and takes longer so most people just don’t do it. Also, you can return to Quebec after getting PR in another province. 

On 3/15/2020 at 8:49 AM, anoroC said:

Hey heres a link for mcgill grad housing https://www.mcgill.ca/students/housing/fees-applying/graduate-downtown-fees  I paid about $500/month for my room off campus near mcgill. Student housing tends to cost more than off campus.

Just be aware that Quebec has its own immigration rules which can complicate things. I think you can study in Quebec and then afterwards if you want to immigrate to any province other than Quebec you apply for PR under a federal immigration program, but if you want to immigrate to Quebec then you'd have to get approval through their provincial immigration first then the federal program. Not 100% about that but I'm dealing with a Canadian PR application right now and those are the rules in my category, so I don't think where you study matters but you'd have to consult the official immigration websites

On 3/13/2020 at 10:19 PM, SheeBella said:

Oh wow!

So this story of rolling admissions and that the sooner one applies the better actually ain't the case?? 

Congratulations on your acceptance. You've got such a strong profile! 

Awwe thankyou!! I guess not??

20 hours ago, software said:

hi this Linda from India. i got rejected from mac masters for mph. looking for guelph acceptance  

Hi. I'm Tvisha from India. I've applied to Guelph too. If you don't mind me asking, what's your profile like?

Morning everyone, I just got my acceptance from UoA for the Health Promotion stream (on campus)! They emailed me this morning to check my GSMS and it says I have an offer and must respond by April 18th. So happy as this was the first app I submitted and dreaded writing the super long LOI.

Still waiting to hear back from SFU before I make my final decision. Not really intending to wait for the Ontario schools lol.

19 minutes ago, Sekai said:

Morning everyone, I just got my acceptance from UoA for the Health Promotion stream (on campus)! They emailed me this morning to check my GSMS and it says I have an offer and must respond by April 18th. So happy as this was the first app I submitted and dreaded writing the super long LOI.

Still waiting to hear back from SFU before I make my final decision. Not really intending to wait for the Ontario schools lol.

Congrats!!! Please share ur profile 

1 hour ago, Sekai said:

Congratulations!  Waiting for health promo as well.