Fall 2020 Social/Personality Psychology PhD

PianoPsych

On 9/1/2019 at 2:43 AM, Fabretti said:

Wow... that's sad. It's a lot of schools. Did you have a "safe choice"? I have applied to three different programs in Canada and got rejected for all of them as well, so I'm focusing on getting good grades and hopefully a paper published in a good international journal.

I think I got really unlucky, one of the programs I applied to last year actually closed and didn’t take any students. One of my POIs got very ill last year and didn’t take students. One didn’t have funding for international students. It was super disappointing and the faculty from my alma mater was shocked that I didn’t get accepted last cycle. Anyway I recommend applying to several schools.

On 8/30/2019 at 5:33 AM, PianoPsych said:

Nope- I'm in Oceania/Australasia. I've also taken out the Ed Psych/Clin Psych programs from my list, so no more UBC for me ?

I'm curious why you took out Ed Psych. :)

4 minutes ago, PianoPsych said:

Fair enough- a combination of simplifying the application process, personal interest, funding, and POI availability for me.

As you had included it with clinical, wanted to make sure you weren't thinking it was clinical. Ed Psych is research-based; school psych is the more clinical arm.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, HAC said:

I am currently working on the final drafts of my statements. What about everyone else?

Nice ? 

I am mildly panicking over how little time I've left for my statements: I only have drafts written for two of my seven schools, and I still need to edit them based on feedback. That being said, I've sorted out basically everything else for my applications, so I'm hoping I will have enough time to finish everything.

19 hours ago, PianoPsych said:

Nice ? 

I am mildly panicking over how little time I've left for my statements: I only have drafts written for two of my seven schools, and I still need to edit them based on feedback. That being said, I've sorted out basically everything else for my applications, so I'm hoping I will have enough time to finish everything.

Yeah I am also panicking a bit as well. This process has got to be the most stressful experience of my life. Which places are you applying to in the end? 

6 hours ago, HAC said:

Yeah I am also panicking a bit as well. This process has got to be the most stressful experience of my life. Which places are you applying to in the end? 

I'm applying to all the places in my signature (below the post). How about you?

Yeah, this process is stressful and I can imagine how your unlucky situation last year might make this round extra stressful. Definitely trying to prioritise my mental health through all of this.

3 hours ago, PianoPsych said:

I'm applying to all the places in my signature (below the post). How about you?

Yeah, this process is stressful and I can imagine how your unlucky situation last year might make this round extra stressful. Definitely trying to prioritise my mental health through all of this.

I actually can’t see your signature for some reason, maybe because I’m on my phone. Anyway, yeah last year was incredibly disappointing but I think it actually taught me a lot about the process. I am sure my applications have vastly improved since then and I have learned to be easier on myself. You are wise for prioritizing mental health over all else.

My finalized list includes:

UNC, UCSB, UVA, U of T, UCB, UMass Amherst, and UChicago.

On 11/2/2019 at 6:54 PM, HAC said:

I actually can’t see your signature for some reason, maybe because I’m on my phone. Anyway, yeah last year was incredibly disappointing but I think it actually taught me a lot about the process. I am sure my applications have vastly improved since then and I have learned to be easier on myself. You are wise for prioritizing mental health over all else.

My finalized list includes:

UNC, UCSB, UVA, U of T, UCB, UMass Amherst, and UChicago.

I'm sure your apps are strong at this point ? and I'm glad you have learned to be easier on yourself. Mental health is so important and I'd love to do some advocacy role in grad school to support other students.

For signatures: don't know if you've checked the 'view signatures' setting (Account settings-->View signatures)

Anyway, these are my schools:

UT-Austin, UMN-TC, UC Berkeley, Michigan, Cornell, UNC-Greensboro, Columbia. 

5 hours ago, Psygeek said:

rooting for you all :)

?

Hey yall, 

looonnng time lurker on thegradcafe, first time poster. 

I graduated from undergrad in 2018 and have been working full time since then as a project manager at a developmental neuroscience lab!

Programs of Interest: Social psych PhDs 

Research Interests: intergroup relations, perception and categorization, with a particular focus on multiracial/multiethnic individuals 

School List: University of Utah, University of Hawai'i Manoa, Lehigh, Tulane, Tufts, Howard, Rutgers, UGA, FSU

Background: BS in Psychology and Criminal Justice from a pretty competitive private university 

Things I'm Not Worried About: 

Strong letters of Recommendation: one from the PI who's lab I worked in in undergrad, one from my current PI, and one from a pretty well known social psych professor who I took a class with last spring while working 

Lots of research experience 

Posters: I have presented four posters, three of which I was first author on, one of which was at a major conference

Fit with PIs

Things I'm Worried About: 

My GPA is ehh: 3.57

my GRE is also ehh: 162/158/5.0

No relevant research experience: I have one middle author publication that's been submitted for publication but it's not in the field I want to pursue, furthermore my past research experiences aren't in the field I want to pursue. I have another publication in prep but I don't think it will be even close to ready by the time these applications are due. 

Wishing all of yall the best as we enter this mess, any advice/reassurance would be deeply appreciated

Edited by scared_and_a_freud

On 11/3/2019 at 5:14 PM, PianoPsych said:

I'm sure your apps are strong at this point ? and I'm glad you have learned to be easier on yourself. Mental health is so important and I'd love to do some advocacy role in grad school to support other students.

For signatures: don't know if you've checked the 'view signatures' setting (Account settings-->View signatures)

Anyway, these are my schools:

UT-Austin, UMN-TC, UC Berkeley, Michigan, Cornell, UNC-Greensboro, Columbia. 

?

I am also applying to UNCG! What are the initials of the advisor you are applying to work with? 

Edited by melarey

• 2 weeks later...

I fully submitted my first application yesterday... I can't believe the application process is almost over!! I feel like once I get the apps in, I can breathe easier knowing it's out of my hands and I've done all I could do (until -- hopefully! -- interview season rolls around and the stress returns, haha). How is everyone else doing?

4 hours ago, imemine said:

I fully submitted my first application yesterday... I can't believe the application process is almost over!! I feel like once I get the apps in, I can breathe easier knowing it's out of my hands and I've done all I could do (until -- hopefully! -- interview season rolls around and the stress returns, haha). How is everyone else doing?

I'm very happy to hear that! Yeah, I'm looking forward to the month (?) or so after apps are in to really relax.

I seem to leave things till the last minute- I've just completed my SoP for my top school but I've still got the others to write so that's a little scary. But I'm aiming for good enough and know I will get there in the end ?

I like your signature btw! will be adopting that format shortly.

I submitted five applications and have two left to complete. It is so relieving to be almost done with applications! I hope everyone else is having a productive time during this stressful period before all of the deadlines. I wish us all good luck ? and hope we all get admitted to our dream schools ??!!

All apps are in, just waiting for recs from 2/3 of my recommenders... and they're due in two days? I emailed a reminder to them earlier in the week and have been in contact with both, so I should be able to trust that they'll send them in tomorrow, but I can't help but be anxious about it!!

Fingers crossed your recommenders do send them in!

For the application to my top choice, they review transcripts before accepting them as part of the application. I was waiting on some grades so I only submitted one of my transcripts yesterday. I don't know if people still work during Thanksgiving weekend to review these, if not I'm scared I will miss the deadline! ?

Also, I'm assuming the December 1st deadline means 23:59 on the day? I've written the majority of my essays, but would really like to revise them before submission!

1 hour ago, PianoPsych said:

Fingers crossed your recommenders do send them in!

For the application to my top choice, they review transcripts before accepting them as part of the application. I was waiting on some grades so I only submitted one of my transcripts yesterday. I don't know if people still work during Thanksgiving weekend to review these, if not I'm scared I will miss the deadline! ?

Also, I'm assuming the December 1st deadline means 23:59 on the day? I've written the majority of my essays, but would really like to revise them before submission!

The deadline really depends on the school, but I would aim for before 23:59 EST. I also wouldn’t wait until the last minute because anything could happen, like the website going down because of high traffic.
Regarding recommendation letters, I think there are a few days post deadline grace period most schools give because they understand it’s sort of out of the applicant’s hands.

2 hours ago, HAC said:

The deadline really depends on the school, but I would aim for before 23:59 EST. I also wouldn’t wait until the last minute because anything could happen, like the website going down because of high traffic.
Regarding recommendation letters, I think there are a few days post deadline grace period most schools give because they understand it’s sort of out of the applicant’s hands.

Thanks for the reply- in that case, I'm aiming to submit everything at least 12 hours before the EST deadline.

For programs that simply list the deadline as "December 1st", is the deadline actually 11:59pm November 30th or 11:59pm December 1st? I'm paranoid about getting everything in tonight just in case, but it's frustrating that programs don't specify.

41 minutes ago, imemine said:

For programs that simply list the deadline as "December 1st", is the deadline actually 11:59pm November 30th or 11:59pm December 1st? I'm paranoid about getting everything in tonight just in case, but it's frustrating that programs don't specify.

Usually 11:59pm Dec. 1st. This year that's likely a very safe bet given that Dec. 1st is a Sunday :)