Fall 2020 Social/Personality Psychology PhD

PianoPsych

On 12/4/2019 at 5:12 PM, imemine said:

How common is it (especially in this subfield) to have skyped with POIs pre-application? I keep reading about those calls on other threads. I haven't had any, and I can't help but wonder if it'll do me in...

never did, PI didnt reply to my feeler email, and still got in (he was my nr 1 choice)

Hello, everyone! I'm here for the social/personality psych application support group.

I'm applying to UChicago (Integrative Neuro), Oregon (Social), Brown (Psych), Boston College (Social), Michigan--Ann Arbor (CCN), and University at Buffalo (Social).

My application isn't too competitive, soooo yeahhhh. I'm just hoping for the best.

Good luck to everyone! :)

Edited by socialneurofriend

16 hours ago, ArgiePsych said:

Awesome news! Kudos

I'm also applying to the Social Psych program at NYU. Out of curiosity, which POIs you are interested in?

Congrats! I have also applied to NYU social psyc but have not heard any news :( would u mind sharing the initials if your POIs? 

On 12/7/2019 at 3:53 AM, HAC said:

Congrats!!! I hope your interview goes well!!! I also just got two invites for informal Skype interviews next week and I am super stressed. One of them is for my dream school, so on one hand I am super excited but on the other hand I am afraid to do something wrong to jeopardize it. ?

Thanks! Good luck to you too! I'm also terrified that I'm gonna mess everything up...

P.S. Feel free to DM me if you want to know NYU POI. Don't want to post publicly :) 

Edited by SocialPsych2018

On 12/7/2019 at 4:53 AM, HAC said:

Congrats!!! I hope your interview goes well!!! I also just got two invites for informal Skype interviews next week and I am super stressed. One of them is for my dream school, so on one hand I am super excited but on the other hand I am afraid to do something wrong to jeopardize it. ?

Congrats!! May I ask which schools you heard from?

3 hours ago, SocialPsych2018 said:

Thanks! Good luck to you too! I'm also terrified that I'm gonna mess everything up...

P.S. Feel free to DM me if you want to know NYU POI. Don't want to post publicly :) 

Me too! All of my imposter syndrome is running rampant at the moment. We just have to remind ourselves we worked really hard to get here. I am sure you will do well and I am sending you good vibes!

50 minutes ago, HAC said:

WUSTL and UMass!!!

Wow that’s awesome!! I saw that you applied to UMass Amherst — whom are you interested in working with there? 

13 hours ago, HAC said:

WUSTL and UMass!!!

Congratulations, this is such great news ? I hope to hear about how these go, I'm sure they will understand if applicants get nervous (I do too!)

1 hour ago, imemine said:

I got a preliminary phone interview for UT Austin!! So excited, but I have no clue what to expect and that's a little nervewracking?

Me too, yay! I have no idea what to expect, I guess I should just make sure the camera and audio setups work ahead of time, I don't really know what else I can control! ?

2 hours ago, scared_and_a_freud said:

Hey I actually work in a psychology lab at UMass, if you have any questions feel free to reach out! 

Wow amazing!! Thank you so much ? 

50 minutes ago, PianoPsych said:

Congratulations, this is such great news ? I hope to hear about how these go, I'm sure they will understand if applicants get nervous (I do too!)

Me too, yay! I have no idea what to expect, I guess I should just make sure the camera and audio setups work ahead of time, I don't really know what else I can control! ?

Thank you! Good luck on your interview as well. I didn’t even think to check that out before the interviews, what a good idea! ? 

I've had 2 skype interviews for grad school (one this year, one two cycles ago) and one of my former profs sent me her list of grad school interview questions that she asks prospective students. Feel free to DM me if you want the questions I've been asked or the ones that she sent me! 

And yeah, I'd definitely recommend making sure that your skype, laptop, etc. are working, dress somewhat formally, and have a water glass (or other drink) beside you. Good luck to everyone with preliminary interviews!

29 minutes ago, SocialPsych2018 said:

I've had 2 skype interviews for grad school (one this year, one two cycles ago) and one of my former profs sent me her list of grad school interview questions that she asks prospective students. Feel free to DM me if you want the questions I've been asked or the ones that she sent me! 

And yeah, I'd definitely recommend making sure that your skype, laptop, etc. are working, dress somewhat formally, and have a water glass (or other drink) beside you. Good luck to everyone with preliminary interviews!

I'm interested in seeing the questions! I'll pm you. 

1 hour ago, melarey said:

Lol anyone not heard anything yet and feeling a bit worried? ? 

I didn't apply to any of the schools y'all have heard from, but I am still starting to feel a little nervous! 

It is still really early, I would try not to worry yet. These are unofficial interviews for the most part. Good luck ? 

3 minutes ago, sendhelp said:

Hello, first time applicant here! I had a Skype call with someone at WUSTL and unfortunately my webcam did not work. I'm really hoping I didn't screw things up! 

Any sensible professor will know that having a functional webcam doesn't correlate with academic / research success :) I'm sure you're fine. 

9 minutes ago, SocialPsych2018 said:

Any sensible professor will know that having a functional webcam doesn't correlate with academic / research success :) I'm sure you're fine. 

Thanks, I sure hope so! I also noticed a few people on this thread who applied to Michigan. I'm a current master's student there (albeit in the clinical area), so if anyone has any questions about the school/area you can message me!

6 hours ago, melarey said:

Lol anyone not heard anything yet and feeling a bit worried? ? 

I didn't apply to any of the schools y'all have heard from, but I am still starting to feel a little nervous! 

same here. First-time applicant. Applied to 6 schools. Haven't heard from any of them yet. Not nervous as I know there are still time but somewhat want to hear news asap, even if it is a rejection. Anyone applied to princeton? 

22 hours ago, sendhelp said:

Hello, first time applicant here! I had a Skype call with someone at WUSTL and unfortunately my webcam did not work. I'm really hoping I didn't screw things up! 

18 hours ago, Luigileo said:

same here. First-time applicant. Applied to 6 schools. Haven't heard from any of them yet. Not nervous as I know there are still time but somewhat want to hear news asap, even if it is a rejection. Anyone applied to princeton? 

I didn't  hear back till mid Feb.... My uni hasn't held 'the meeting' yet too.