Interview date(s): 2/7-2/8

School: UMass Amherst

Type: PhD

Date of invite: 12/17

Type of invite: Email from POI

Interview date(s):  1/31

Feel free to DM for POI!!

12 hours ago, Reno said:

Anyone got interview invitations from UC Davis yet? According to their website, invitations would be sent out on Dec 18, but I haven't heard anything from them yet. Wondering if that means rejection...

I just got an in-person interview invite for Davis today! Feel free to DM for POI

Hey does anyone know how the interview process works for social psych? Like how do they filter people out, is it that you're competing against someone else for the same prof or are you just competing for a spot in the program?

In my mind I'm imagining that profs choose one student for interviews and then during the admissions meeting, they have less spots than students so they reject some. Is this ... correct?

1 hour ago, terrycherry said:

Hey does anyone know how the interview process works for social psych? Like how do they filter people out, is it that you're competing against someone else for the same prof or are you just competing for a spot in the program?

In my mind I'm imagining that profs choose one student for interviews and then during the admissions meeting, they have less spots than students so they reject some. Is this ... correct?

You apply to work in a certain professor's lab, which is why you have to make sure the professor that you are interested in working with is taking new students for the application season that you are applying to start (and that the professor's research interests match yours). Then, from what I've seen, the professor could either choose to have a brief "unofficial" phone or Skype interview with you prior to inviting you to campus to interview, or you could also be invited to an on-campus interview without doing an unofficial preliminary interview. From my understanding, sometimes professors do preliminary interviews to weed people out that may not be the best research fit. So, whether you are competing against somebody else depends on if any others applied to work with that same professor, and whether that professor is considering other applicants other than yourself. So it's possible that you wouldn't be competing against anybody else, but you should still be making an effort to impress the whole department during any in-person interviews you get invited to, not just your POI. 

I hope this makes sense, and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong! From my understanding, this technically sums up the process, and you are likely to hear back from a professor that is interested in chatting with you anywhere between December and February. 

1 hour ago, terrycherry said:

I think this is school dependent? I heard (and I might be wrong) that Stanford admits students into their department as a whole (competing for a spot in the program), but there's also schools like UCLA where each professor is responsible for inviting students they'd like to admit to their lab, and they just pick from those that they shortlist/invite. Hope this clarifies things! 

9 hours ago, imemine said:

I just got an in-person interview invite for Davis today! Feel free to DM for POI

I just got an email from them saying that I won't be getting an interview, so crossing Davis off my list now...Congrats to you!

Edited by Reno

56 minutes ago, hippyresearcher said:

I didn't see a thread for this, so I'm going to post here as this seems most fitting. Does anyone know if there are threads for experimental psychology programs? I'm awaiting an interview invite from OSU (OKState). Does anyone have potential information?

I haven't seen any, and I'm applying to the (general non-clinical) psychology program at Brown.

I'll make one: Experimental Psychology/General Non-Clinical Psychology PhD Applicants Fall 2020

Do you think UCLA is done with finalizing interview invitations? If I haven't received any letters/ unofficial interview, does that mean i am just straight of rejected from the school? UCLA is so confusing with its protocol.

20 hours ago, ybuw111 said:

Do you think UCLA is done with finalizing interview invitations? If I haven't received any letters/ unofficial interview, does that mean i am just straight of rejected from the school? UCLA is so confusing with its protocol.

I think UCLA tries to reach out/informal-interview early (before Winter break), at least for the social department. So they probably have already reached out to the shortlisted candidates at this point.