Fall 2020 Social/Personality Psychology PhD

PianoPsych

9 hours ago, Red324 said:

Any updates on these schools? UNCG, UI-Urbana Champaign, KU, UMN, Purdue. Thanks!

For UIUC, I emailed my POI last Friday. He said he already made the decision for in-person interview, but I'm not in it. Not sure when is the interview day though?

4 hours ago, cl0330 said:

For UIUC, I emailed my POI last Friday. He said he already made the decision for in-person interview, but I'm not in it. Not sure when is the interview day though?

Ah thanks for the info. Do you know if that means all the interviews have already gone out for UIUC? 
Also, has anyone heard from University of Washington?

For anyone who got an interview invite or rejection from WashU: would you mind clarifying if it was sent by the POI or if it was an official invite/rejection from the department? Seeing a lot of new results on their page and not sure what to think!  

I too am not sure what is going on with WUSTL. I actually emailed the coordinator. She told me they are in the process of doing invites right now. I see a bunch of rejections listed, but it’s been radio silence for me so far. I guess at this point we are still in the game? 

12 minutes ago, Psychtime said:

I too am not sure what is going on with WUSTL. I actually emailed the coordinator. She told me they are in the process of doing invites right now. I see a bunch of rejections listed, but it’s been radio silence for me so far. I guess at this point we are still in the game? 

Hi. I got an invite from my POI first and then from the department. The department one came a week ago. 

1 minute ago, 11082017 said:

Hi. I got an invite from my POI first and then from the department. The department one came a week ago. 

Same for me

19 hours ago, socpsych1700 said:

Apologies if I missed this somewhere, but I applied to NYU and Columbia's Social Psychology PhD programs. I'm a first time applicant, and a graduating junior from my undergraduate psych program. I'm really excited to pursue my interests in social psych, but am really nervous about this application round! Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, has anyone received interview invites from either NYU or Columbia?

For Columbia, word is that invitations have already been sent out. I've applied to the same PI as you, and have not heard from them.

On 1/13/2020 at 9:38 PM, socpsych1700 said:

Apologies if I missed this somewhere, but I applied to NYU and Columbia's Social Psychology PhD programs. I'm a first time applicant, and a graduating junior from my undergraduate psych program. I'm really excited to pursue my interests in social psych, but am really nervous about this application round! Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, has anyone received interview invites from either NYU or Columbia?

I got my NYU psych invite around Dec 15th. 

On 12/24/2019 at 12:58 PM, stroobs&bloobs said:

Has anyone heard anything from Stony Brook University? 

Yes, I have. I am invited to their on campus interview. It's Feb 4-6th. 

On 1/1/2020 at 6:03 PM, prog_head13 said:

Got interviewed at Mizzou and heard back from U of Florida. Was wondering if anyone has heard back from the schools I have listed.    

Hi, will you be at Mizzou's on campus interview? I will be there! 

By this time, I haven't received any proper offer. Could you guys be honest and give me advice on whether or not I should just give up on PhD (This is my second round) and start looking for another job or other field? 

On 1/15/2020 at 12:19 PM, chililimeseeds said:

Does anyone happen to know, generally, the application process statistics? For example, x% of accepted actually take it and y% of those waitlisted end up getting an invitation. I've been looking everywhere and can't really find anything.

It varies program to program and year by year. If you want to see some school statistics, you can buy a 3-month subscription to APA's book on these programs: https://gradstudy.apa.org/ for $20.  This contains each school's data from 2018-2019 year. This does not have information on waitlists, but it does say x people were offered admission and y people enrolled. It also tells you about what parts of the application the program gives weight too. I like having it and its nice to refer to but its more useful before you apply. If you have a specific school or two, message me and I can send you the stats. 

2 minutes ago, stroobs&bloobs said:

It varies program to program and year by year. If you want to see some school statistics, you can buy a 3-month subscription to APA's book on these programs: https://gradstudy.apa.org/ for $20.  This contains each school's data from 2018-2019 year. This does not have information on waitlists, but it does say x people were offered admission and y people enrolled. It also tells you about what parts of the application the program gives weight too. I like having it and its nice to refer to but its more useful before you apply. If you have a specific school or two, message me and I can send you the stats. 

You are amazing!!! Messaging you now :) 

On 1/15/2020 at 12:19 PM, chililimeseeds said:

Does anyone happen to know, generally, the application process statistics? For example, x% of accepted actually take it and y% of those waitlisted end up getting an invitation. I've been looking everywhere and can't really find anything.

If you're looking for a free option, some schools list these statistics on their websites! This one from Berkeley (scroll down to see it) doesn't include waitlist statistics, but shows just about everything else. Some stats seem pretty easy to generally estimate for  (the 5% admissions rate seems especially common), but others definitely vary from program to program. 

18 minutes ago, NewSeason said:

Has anyone received an on-campus interview invite to UNC Greensboro or Virginia Commonwealth? Thanks, all!

I applied to VCU and haven’t heard anything yet ? I saw in the clinical thread that a few people have received interview invites, but nothing for social so far. 

1 hour ago, 11082017 said:

Called UIUC and they said they haven’t sent out any official invites yet. Have to wait some more.  

Thank you for informing us! Have they done phone interviews? I haven't heard anything.