Fall 2020 Social/Personality Psychology PhD

PianoPsych

26 minutes ago, HanClee said:

I did an unofficial interview with UCLA and was told I won’t be invited to the official interview for research compatibility reasons. And yes, my understanding is that if you didn’t receive an unofficial interview, you likely would not be invited to the official interview.

Is it the case for other people too? or are they still doing some unofficial interviews? 

School: UC Berkeley

Type: PhD

Date of invite: 12/18

Type of invite: Email from Social/Personality area head (official department invite to be sent later)

Interview date(s): 1/23-1/24

First in-person interview invite!! So insanely excited. Feel free to DM for PI

5 hours ago, imemine said:

Type of invite: Email from Social/Personality area head (official department invite to be sent later)

Congrats! Best of luck! 

9 hours ago, imemine said:

Congrats!!!!

On 12/17/2019 at 1:44 PM, SocialPsych2018 said:

My sense is that NYU sent out all of their invites (at least for cognition & perception).

Thank you for this information! And congrats on receiving an official invite!!

As we are on the topic:

School: UMass Amherst 

Type: Social Psychology PhD

Type of invite: Email from POI

Interview date(s): 1/31

I got a really good vibe when chatting with her and am super pumped/nervous about the interview!

Congratulations to those who have received interview invites! Sounds like 12/20 will be a big day for us ? it's nerve-wracking for me when I see my schools pop up here/in the portal of interview invites and I have not received news from them, I'm sure I'm not alone though!

Hi heard back from a professor from Univ of Michigan. We're having a call tomorrow, she says it's not a formal interview, just a way of trading information b/c she would *love* to accept me, what does this really mean? And how should I prepare for this call? 

2 hours ago, PsychNerdd said:

Hi heard back from a professor from Univ of Michigan. We're having a call tomorrow, she says it's not a formal interview, just a way of trading information b/c she would *love* to accept me, what does this really mean? And how should I prepare for this call? 

Congrats on getting an informal interview! I assume she basically wants to see if you’re a good research fit and ask if you have any questions about the program or her research. I think phone interviews might be a way to weed people out who aren’t a great research fit (and to see if they’re worth inviting to the in-person interviews). I recommend preparing to state what your research interests are (in more detail than your statement of purpose), reading some of her research, and preparing questions about the program or her research.

Edit: The social psych program doesn’t have in-person interviews. My bad. But I assume your prepare for it in the same way. See @Psygeek’s post below for more information.

Edited by socialneurofriend

25 minutes ago, Psygeek said:

For those applying to Michigan - they don't do formal interviews. They accept you I think and then invite you for the visitng day. Or that was what it was in previous years. (POIs may do of course unofficial interviews).

Ohhhh okay. Thank you! I’ll edit my post.

(I’m applying to Cognition and Cognitive Neuroscience area there, and based on the results page, it looked like they have in-person interviews. I assumed the other programs would be similar. My bad. Lol).

Edited by socialneurofriend

3 hours ago, HanClee said:

As we are on the topic:

School: UMass Amherst 

Type: Social Psychology PhD

Interview date(s): 1/31

I got a really good vibe when chatting with her and am super pumped/nervous about the interview!

See you there!

3 hours ago, 11082017 said:

Is anyone else waiting on Illinois Social-Personality or Minnesota PIB? 

Waiting on Minnesota here.

4 hours ago, imemine said:

School: UT Austin

Date of invite: 12/19

Interview date(s): 2/6-2/9

Feel free to DM for POI!!

Congrats ? I was rejected on the other hand due to research fit, which hurts (I was debating leaving this out to keep the mood up but it's best to be honest, hey?) but it's helpful to know where I stand and what I need to work on should I apply again. I expect to be rejected from other programs for similar reasons, and I envision a lot of productive soul-searching (and unhealthy ruminating.. lol) in the meantime.

1 minute ago, PianoPsych said:

Congrats ? I was rejected on the other hand due to research fit, which hurts (I was debating leaving this out to keep the mood up but it's best to be honest, hey?) but it's helpful to know where I stand and what I need to work on should I apply again. I expect to be rejected from other programs for similar reasons, and I envision a lot of productive soul-searching (and unhealthy ruminating.. lol) in the meantime.

Thanks❤️  Every program is different and looks for different things, I'm sure you'll stand out to someone. Getting an informal interview is still a great accomplishment, and it goes to show how qualified of an applicant you are. You got this!

3 minutes ago, imemine said:

Thanks❤️  Every program is different and looks for different things, I'm sure you'll stand out to someone. Getting an informal interview is still a great accomplishment, and it goes to show how qualified of an applicant you are. You got this!

Aww thank you for the support- I've used up my reactions for today but it's a heart react from me.

I'm sure I'll stand out to someone too- that part sounds a whole lot like dating hahaha