Fall 2020 Social/Personality Psychology PhD

PianoPsych

3 hours ago, PsychPhdBound said:

All of my interviews have offered to reimburse/pay for my travel and accommodation (developmental/social programs). I've been told it a school asks for you to conver the costs you should be mindful about asking in the interview about funds available to students in the program (since it could be a sign of a poorly funded program).

Makes sense, thanks!

1 hour ago, psychpsychpsych said:

Makes sense, thanks!

Not the case. Clinical students almost always have to pay for their own visits, even to really well funded programs. Some areas/schools are so competitive, they know they will have plenty of applicants willing to pay the cost to fly out. They are still fully funded. I would caution people from making blanket statements based on one or two comments from other people. 

3 hours ago, Psychtime said:

Not the case. Clinical students almost always have to pay for their own visits, even to really well funded programs. Some areas/schools are so competitive, they know they will have plenty of applicants willing to pay the cost to fly out. They are still fully funded. I would caution people from making blanket statements based on one or two comments from other people. 

Not sure which comments in particular you were responding to, but in case it was mine, I agree that blanket statements are not wise. That's why I specified that my comments were regarding social/developmental programs, not clinical, and that I've been told it "could be" a sign of a poorly funded program, so it was important to keep that in mind when interviewing and to ask about funding available to students (not just tuition, but travel and conferences). 

Anyone else here apply and get a virtual interview at McGill University?

I had a virtual interview in the middle of January and was I told I should hear back about the second round (in-person) interviews earlier this week. Of course though, I have not heard anything from the school yet. Is anyone else in this same situation? This whole situation just has me stressed out! ?

Edited by FarShadey

On 2/8/2020 at 11:27 AM, psysnow said:

Hello, has you heard from UW recently?

No. given that their interview weekend is March 6th, I am starting to think I am not accepted.

Looking for some advice here, I went to an interview and heard some pretty damning things about my POI, it was my top choice school but now I'm really hesitant. It's such a good program and I would love nothing more than to be at this school, but according to the students, he's pretty terrible. What do I do...?

there's research on how your advisor is THE most important determinant of your success in grad school. If the school is very collaborative and you have interests in common with multiple faculty, then even with a bad POI, you can maybe work with other professors and make up for the bad POI. But if he's the only one whose research aligns with yours and he is really as terrible as the students tell him to be, DON'T (especially if you have other offers where your POI and others are more friendly and collegial). 

Also, by terrible, what do they mean? If they simply mean he's hands off and if you are confident in pursuing your research ideas independently without your POI's guidance, then that's fine. But if by terrible, they mean he demoralizes, demeans, or sabotages his students' careers, heck no!

Another thing to look into would be how his ex-students are fairing. Are there students who have successful jobs (Academic or otherwise)? If yes, reach out and see if they have a different perspective on this POI. I say this because people sometimes love to blame everyone/everything (except themselves) for their failure but the experience could be very different for someone who's more self-driven and motivated.

1 hour ago, LanternTrinity said:

I say this because people sometimes love to blame everyone/everything (except themselves) for their failure but the experience could be very different for someone who's more self-driven and motivated.

specifically that he does not work well with female students, often interrupts them, and demeans their ideas. I heard this from his male students, because all his female students left. As context, I'm a woman of color, and his PhD students are all white men. 

50 minutes ago, terrycherry said:

specifically that he does not work well with female students, often interrupts them, and demeans their ideas. I heard this from his male students, because all his female students left. As context, I'm a woman of color, and his PhD students are all white men. 

If his attitude is making students leave the program (which has to be a very very difficult decision), then that definitely seems like a big red flag. :-(.

2 hours ago, terrycherry said:

Looking for some advice here, I went to an interview and heard some pretty damning things about my POI, it was my top choice school but now I'm really hesitant. It's such a good program and I would love nothing more than to be at this school, but according to the students, he's pretty terrible. What do I do...?

If the red flags are that strong.. Do you want to take the risk? Nothing more terrible/ruining your life than a bad advisor tbh.

I had a skype interview 8 days ago with my POI from UH - Manoa. and haven't heard back from her at all since. But, I got an email today from the graduate division asking me to send my official transcript & a scan of my passport. Wondering if anyone else got an email like this from UH - Manoa...?

20 hours ago, SocialPsych2018 said:

I had a skype interview 8 days ago with my POI from UH - Manoa. and haven't heard back from her at all since. But, I got an email today from the graduate division asking me to send my official transcript & a scan of my passport. Wondering if anyone else got an email like this from UH - Manoa...?

sending you a PM

On 2/11/2020 at 8:12 PM, SocialPsych2018 said:

It's now been 2.5 weeks since my Skype, I got no response to my thank you email for the Skype interview, and have heard nothing else from the POI. I get that this is probably a rejection, but at what point do you email to follow up...?