Fall 2020 Social/Personality Psychology PhD

PianoPsych

I know this is the social thread , but if the people who posted on the results page for the Virginia Commonwealth’s health psych PhD see this, could you PM me your POI’s initials? 

On 1/22/2020 at 3:04 PM, lolhelp said:

Has anybody heard from Wayne State University’s Social program??? I’ve seen results posted for the other areas (Cognitive, Clinical) but nothing has been posted about the Social program since a few years ago. 

Did anybody apply to that program this application cycle, or is connected to the program and knows anything about where faculty are at with making on-campus interview invites!?! 

They've extended invites for interviews, but I'm not sure if they're completely done. Heard from my POI about a week and a half ago. Interview day is 02/21. 

23 hours ago, psychpsychpsych said:

Hi everybody! I have a question about getting to interviews. Should most schools be giving us a stipend/funding to get to the onsite interview? Thanks :)

I don't know about most, I was told to expect the larger institutions to offer some reimbursment, but never to expect any money up front, or for them to schedule/pay for flights or hotels.  I am headed to Miami in a couple weeks, and they are willing to reimburse me up to $200 total, as long as I fill out their paperwork and provide appropriate documentation (and it will take weeks to get said reimbursement)

1 hour ago, Randi S said:

I don't know about most, I was told to expect the larger institutions to offer some reimbursment, but never to expect any money up front, or for them to schedule/pay for flights or hotels.  I am headed to Miami in a couple weeks, and they are willing to reimburse me up to $200 total, as long as I fill out their paperwork and provide appropriate documentation (and it will take weeks to get said reimbursement)

Good to know, thanks!

Is it just me or does it feel like some schools are doing the process at a later timeline than previous years? Either that or people are using the gradcafe results survey less maybe... There are a few schools (UIUC, Colorado, UW) that I'm surprised I don't see or hear any interview invitations for yet. But given how competitive these schools are (and based on the previous cycles' interview timelines), I wonder if I've just been passed up without knowing...

It would be great if applicants could get some more official information about the rough timeline of things so they can feel comfortable weighing decisions about their present offers, or even to get a head start on searching for opportunities to improve their application next cycle. At the same time, I understand it's hard to coordinate on the school's end too...

9 hours ago, spider-man said:

Has anyone heard back from Minnesota or UIUC for the Social programs?

35 minutes ago, ps2020 said:

I'm also still waiting on UIUC

Same. Waiting on UIUC. 

22 hours ago, taacc said:

Is it just me or does it feel like some schools are doing the process at a later timeline than previous years? Either that or people are using the gradcafe results survey less maybe... There are a few schools (UIUC, Colorado, UW) that I'm surprised I don't see or hear any interview invitations for yet. But given how competitive these schools are (and based on the previous cycles' interview timelines), I wonder if I've just been passed up without knowing...

It would be great if applicants could get some more official information about the rough timeline of things so they can feel comfortable weighing decisions about their present offers, or even to get a head start on searching for opportunities to improve their application next cycle. At the same time, I understand it's hard to coordinate on the school's end too...

agreed, feels like some schools were really speedy this year, others are/were quite slow.

On 1/26/2020 at 11:36 AM, taacc said:

Called the grad coordinator for UIUC today and she mentioned that interview invitations have not gone out yet. 

On 1/25/2020 at 9:51 AM, scared_and_a_freud said:

Has anyone heard from the University of Hawaii? They're the last school that I'm really waiting to hear back from and I'm on pins and needles! 

My POI who I had been in contact with prior to apps emailed me last week and said they are meeting to make the short list the first week of Feb. and that they will have on campus invites in early Marchish

On 1/24/2020 at 10:18 AM, Psychtime said:

It varies by school. Some pay for it entirely. Some don’t pay at all. 

On 1/24/2020 at 9:57 AM, psychpsychpsych said:

Hi everybody! I have a question about getting to interviews. Should most schools be giving us a stipend/funding to get to the onsite interview? Thanks :)

All of my interviews have offered to reimburse/pay for my travel and accommodation (developmental/social programs). I've been told it a school asks for you to conver the costs you should be mindful about asking in the interview about funds available to students in the program (since it could be a sign of a poorly funded program).