2020 Religion Application Thread

NyarkoSan

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

Sorry for the misinformation! I do know for a fact that they have made their decisions (according to a friend in the dept.). I assume it’s an administrative thing that’s left for them to do.

No worries! Hoping for everyone to get some good news today.

15 hours ago, Fiat said:

I mean, sincere congrats to everyone who's accepted and I understand that schools are competing against each others in enrollment right now but I just think that this whole "informal phone calls" game sucks. If they have already contacted those who are accepted and those on the waitlist then what are they waiting for. Send out the formal decisions already! Sorry I just feel so annoyed by this.

I think it's because it needs to be processed in the admissions department after being signed off on in the theology department.

4 hours ago, Dewey said:

Sorry for the misinformation! I do know for a fact that they have made their decisions (according to a friend in the dept.). I assume it’s an administrative thing that’s left for them to do.

They emailed this morning my guy! I got in!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it! I'm waiting for them to take it back

POI emailed me after acceptance to see if I'd like to visit the campus and would like to meet to discuss my choosing to go there. 

How does this response sound:

• Dear Dr. X, Thank you so much for this opportunity! I am thrilled at the prospect of joining the program! I would definitely like to visit the campus. When would be a convenient time to meet with you? 

Should I keep it short? I haven't accepted the offer yet but it is my #2 choice (that is in a different field than I originally applied to for the majority of my programs) and I am extremely excited. 

Edit: Just asking for advice; never been in this situation **squeak**

Edited by gls2814

21 minutes ago, gls2814 said:

POI emailed me after acceptance to see if I'd like to visit the campus and would like to meet to discuss my choosing to go there. 

How does this response sound:

• Dear Dr. X, Thank you so much for this opportunity! I am thrilled at the prospect of joining the program! I would definitely like to visit the campus. When would be a convenient time to meet with you? 

Should I keep it short? I haven't accepted the offer yet but it is my #2 choice (that is in a different field than I originally applied to for the majority of my programs) and I am extremely excited. 

Edit: Just asking for advice; never been in this situation **squeak**

You are now in the power position (congrats), so I wouldn’t over-analyze it too much. Your email sounds fine. I might ask if there will be “official” visiting days sponsored by the department and/or graduate school that you can coordinate around.

This is from a philosophy blog, but some relevant stuff to consider, too: https://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2014/03/some-advice-to-prospective-graduate-students-visiting-departments.html

32 minutes ago, Dewey said:

You are now in the power position (congrats), so I wouldn’t over-analyze it too much. Your email sounds fine. I might ask if there will be “official” visiting days sponsored by the department and/or graduate school that you can coordinate around.

This is from a philosophy blog, but some relevant stuff to consider, too: https://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2014/03/some-advice-to-prospective-graduate-students-visiting-departments.html

Thank you for that! I over-analyze literally everything. 

6 minutes ago, PonderingPerson400 said:

Anyone hear anything from the UChicago MA/MDiv programs?

Nope... I thought they would release their decisions today but they didn't. Do you think it is right to call up their admissions office to ask?

3 hours ago, PonderingPerson400 said:

Anyone hear anything from the UChicago MA/MDiv programs?

I applied to their MA program and haven't heard anything yet, hoping it'll be any day now

8 hours ago, Ian d'thou said:

Anyone hear from Harvard? Someone posted an acceptance for a Religious Studies Phd. Did they mean Religion?

The Committee on the Study of Religion notified phd acceptances and waitlist last night. I didn't get anything, which I'm assuming means rejection, although I haven't heard

2 hours ago, lumpengrad said:

The Committee on the Study of Religion notified phd acceptances and waitlist last night. I didn't get anything, which I'm assuming means rejection, although I haven't heard

Bummed to hear that. :( Anyone heard from BUSTH? Aren't they supposed to send something out today?

4 minutes ago, SAH08 said:

Bummed to hear that. :( Anyone heard from BUSTH? Aren't they supposed to send something out today?

I have a friend who is doing theology & ethics and she said they told her that she would hear today. No clue if all departments will announce today. I am hoping they will. The wait is killing me. 

19 minutes ago, professionalmethodist said:

I have a friend who is doing theology & ethics and she said they told her that she would hear today. No clue if all departments will announce today. I am hoping they will. The wait is killing me. 

Nothing here from BUSTH. I keep checking the portal! 

Got the call this morning from BUSTH and was accepted to the PhD program (History & Hermeneutics)! And my friend in theology & ethics got in, as well! An offer is to come later via email and details to come via post. 

I cried happy tears and I'm still in disbelief!