What's the best backup plan?

Psych1st

Hey everyone! 

This is my first time applying to grad school, specifically PhD programs. I know that realistically there is a pretty small chance of me getting in this time. However, I'm still be hopeful! 

If I don't get in, I'm trying to figure out the best plan. Would it be better to apply to a master's program or try to find a job in the field? I'm not sure what would help me more, or maybe if I need to have time to do both before applying again. 

I haven't published anything that I've presented at conferences yet, but I'm currently looking into how to do that and I could definitely work on that. I can also work on my GRE scores once I graduate from undergrad and have more time. I just don't know if a master's would be more beneficial or a job. I just know that I want my PhD eventually, and hopefully sooner than later. 

My psychology department is kinda unorthodox so I don't have many professors that know a lot about clinical psychology and PhD programs. 

Thanks! 

Sincerely, 

a confused undergrad 

11 minutes ago, Psych1st said:

Hey everyone! 

This is my first time applying to grad school, specifically PhD programs. I know that realistically there is a pretty small chance of me getting in this time. However, I'm still be hopeful! 

If I don't get in, I'm trying to figure out the best plan. Would it be better to apply to a master's program or try to find a job in the field? I'm not sure what would help me more, or maybe if I need to have time to do both before applying again. 

I haven't published anything that I've presented at conferences yet, but I'm currently looking into how to do that and I could definitely work on that. I can also work on my GRE scores once I graduate from undergrad and have more time. I just don't know if a master's would be more beneficial or a job. I just know that I want my PhD eventually, and hopefully sooner than later. 

My psychology department is kinda unorthodox so I don't have many professors that know a lot about clinical psychology and PhD programs. 

Thanks! 

Sincerely, 

a confused undergrad 

Are you applying to clinical programs or other programs with a high research focus? If so, I would recommend doing a research-intensive postbac or getting a lab management position. If your GPA is low, and/or you are considering applying to counseling psychology PhD programs, then a Masters degree might be a better choice (as long as you are confident you will continue to be able to do research there. 

12 minutes ago, Ppkitty said:

Are you applying to clinical programs or other programs with a high research focus? If so, I would recommend doing a research-intensive postbac or getting a lab management position. If your GPA is low, and/or you are considering applying to counseling psychology PhD programs, then a Masters degree might be a better choice (as long as you are confident you will continue to be able to do research there. 

I'm applying to clinical programs, and I want to get my PhD in clinical psychology. My GPA is a 4.0 so I'm not worried about that, I'm just concerned about the experience I guess. 

8 minutes ago, Psych1st said:

I'm applying to clinical programs, and I want to get my PhD in clinical psychology. My GPA is a 4.0 so I'm not worried about that, I'm just concerned about the experience I guess. 

I would say a research intensive position like a clinical coordinator in a psychiatry department or research lab would be ideal then.

Hey Psych1st! We’re kinda in the same boat so maybe I can help. For some background, I graduated with my Bachelor’s May 2018. Currently, I have only presented one poster at a national conference but I don’t have any publications. I do plan on publishing the findings from my poster with a grad student and our lab mentor though. 

I agree with PpKitty’s suggestion. Research experience is a big priority for admittance into clinical psych programs. Your best backup plan would probably be obtaining a full-time research coordinator position or even just volunteering in someone’s lab that you’re interested in. I recommend this website for finding post-bacc research opportunities: http://clinicalpsychgradschool.org/pbacc.php

You don’t necessarily need a master’s, but it might not hurt to browse some of the programs and consider applying. There are some research-oriented masters programs that may help you get the research experience you need and complete some coursework you’d have to complete in a Ph.D program. If you go the master’s route, I suggest you only apply for funded programs. Here’s a blog post made by a clinical psych grad student about funded masters programs: https://clinicalpsychphd.wordpress.com/2014/04/30/funded-psychology-masters-programs/

You should probably double check the programs’ websites to make sure they’re still funded. This blog post is from 2014, but it can definitely help you narrow down which programs to consider. I hope this helps! 

You've received some good suggestions. Master's programs are generally costly and few offer funding, so that should figure in as well.

Also, I note you said you would study more for the GRE when done with undergrad, because you will have more time. Working and/or grad school both take up a lot of time...

On 12/5/2019 at 10:09 AM, Psych1st said:

Hey everyone! 

Thanks! 

Sincerely, 

a confused undergrad 

No advice but I'm in the same boat as you! Let's sink together

I've already done research coordinator job then 2 year masters before applying (this is my first cycle). So if this doesn't work I think I'm seriously going to try to work abroad to study Arabic for a bit. 

13 hours ago, Ppkitty said:

I've already done research coordinator job then 2 year masters before applying (this is my first cycle). So if this doesn't work I think I'm seriously going to try to work abroad to study Arabic for a bit. 

Honestly I think about moving and working abroad more often than not. I haven't even tried the masters route yet (however this is my second phd cycle) but I've been working in a research lab for two years JUST secured a paid position there, but I'm not sure I can do another year of this lol (building up my cv for a third round of phd apps) At this point one of my back up plans is moving to Ios greece and working under the table as a bartender 

On 12/5/2019 at 5:18 PM, t_ruth said:

You've received some good suggestions. Master's programs are generally costly and few offer funding, so that should figure in as well.

Also, I note you said you would study more for the GRE when done with undergrad, because you will have more time. Working and/or grad school both take up a lot of time...

This is good advice. Working on the GRE can be easier when you're in a school/study mindset. I'm in a research-intensive post-bacc position right now and am so glad I took the GRE while in undergrad—my coworker did not and they had a hard time getting back into the swing of studying after being out of school for a bit. Depending on what your next semester looks like, it might be a good idea to focus on studying for the GRE then, or the summer after graduating. IMO it's best not to let more than a year go by post-grad without studying/taking it, if you can. 

On 12/5/2019 at 5:18 PM, t_ruth said:

Idk, I actually think it depends on the person. For me, since I was pursuing a dual degree, taking 18 credits a semester, it would've been near impossible for me to study for the GRE to the extent I wanted. I waited about 6 months after graduating to start studying, and it was really beneficial for me because 1) I was only working, so all of my mental effort could go to studying for the GRE instead of other classes/tests/assignments, and 2) I had a routine that I otherwise wouldn't have had in undergrad--working from 9-5 and studying afterwards. After a while, I was able to get into the habit of being prepared and focused during the evenings, whereas in undergrad, class schedules would've made it difficult to develop a routine like that.

I think OP should figure out what suits their needs best! 

Edit: But if they're pursuing a masters, then this advice is moot lol

Edited by bri j.

9 hours ago, bri j. said:

Idk, I actually think it depends on the person. For me, since I was pursuing a dual degree, taking 18 credits a semester, it would've been near impossible for me to study for the GRE to the extent I wanted. I waited about 6 months after graduating to start studying, and it was really beneficial for me because 1) I was only working, so all of my mental effort could go to studying for the GRE instead of other classes/tests/assignments, and 2) I had a routine that I otherwise wouldn't have had in undergrad--working from 9-5 and studying afterwards. After a while, I was able to get into the habit of being prepared and focused during the evenings, whereas in undergrad, class schedules would've made it difficult to develop a routine like that.

I think OP should figure out what suits their needs best! 

Edit: But if they're pursuing a masters, then this advice is moot lol

I definitely see where you're coming from! In undergrad I have a full load of classes, two jobs, and I'm the president of an organization and a memeber of a few others. It's really hard to try to fit in GRE time with all of that and with how different every day can be for me. I think the time in between graduating and my next step would be the best time for me to study. Especially if it's a job versus grad school. But we will see, thanks for your response! :)