Would you still apply if you got less than 300 on the GRE?

KEIM

Yeah, so I did pretty horrible on quant. 155 V(overall less than 300), would you still apply to programs? Or retake the GRE and apply to the next admissions cycle? I don't know my writing score yet. I'm only applying to online programs. 

44 minutes ago, TeamNoSleep said:

Dude, your score is really good! I got lower scores (also below a 300) and I got accepted into all the programs I applied to (except for one that didn't require the GRE funny enough) 

Really? I was under the impression my scores weren't competitive. I don't think I even broke 140 on the quant (sad! but expected). Would you mind sharing what schools you applied to? I'm happy you got in everywhere you applied!

I think you should still apply during this application cycle. Some programs are more holistic than others and don't care about GRE, some don't even require it. Your verbal score is pretty decent, and schools care much more about verbal and writing than the quant. One girl in my cohort got in with what she calls an "embarrassingly low" quant score. That being said, my program recommends certain minimum scores but doesn't have a hard cutoff. Just avoid schools that do! 

Edited by bibliophile222

Yes yes yes yes yes. Still apply!! I was having a conversation with another SLP in my program and two first year AuD students and I was the only one who got above a 300 and barely. It's definitely not impossible to get in with lower than a 300. But just make sure the schools don't have a minimum GRE scores because they won't even be able to look at your application if your quant score is under it. 

Edited by DogLover123

Thanks for the great advice, everyone! I'm still going apply. If I don't get in anywhere then it wasn't meant to be. I only studied intensely for 2 weeks and that's obviously not long enough to relearn math. I'm pretty certain I have some sort of math LD and my verbal score seems to be competitive. We'll see! I was feeling discouraged but I will focus on schools that look at applicants holistically. 

Absolutely still apply! The GRE is ONE part of your application, just ONE. Like others said, I just wouldn't apply to programs that have a hard cutoff as they likely wouldn't even look at your application, but most schools do not. Very few grad students I know got above a 300. Best of luck!

Absolutely apply! You never know what could happen. And like you said if you don't get in, then it wasn't meant to be. Sounds corny, but you have to put your trust in your own abilities to succeed in this process and you will get there, if it's not this time, it will still happen if you want it to. But it doesn't hurt to still try this time. And sometimes schools don't accept applicants because it doesn't seem like their a good fit, not necessarily because of their stats. The longer I've been in my program, I've learned that they truly do consider that as a big factor at least at my school. Also if you have any questions, let me know. I'd be happy to try and help! 

Yes, definitely apply!! I just completed my first semester of graduate school and I did NOT have the best stats. 3.2 overall, and a HORRID GRE score (less than 290). I believe what really helped me was my work experience. I've been a SLPA for three years and I was able to incorporate that heavily into my SOP. I think that along with my LOR from professors and supervisors increased my chances tenfold when it came to the competitive application cycle.