Boren 2020-2021

Westtofareast

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2019 at 5:00 PM, sb_12 said:

Applying for Arabic in Israel scholarship!! First person at my uni to apply so incredibly nervous ? Any tips for either essay? I'm a STEM major trying to go for a semester 

I know that they are really looking for STEM students. Usually they have a preference for more than a semester but being a STEM student might help with that!

• 3 weeks later...

I submitted my application a few weeks ago for the Japan fellowship (guess what language LOL)

Definitely excited to see the results! Has anyone else applied?

On 2/19/2020 at 1:31 PM, Scaura said:

I submitted my application a few weeks ago for the Japan fellowship (guess what language LOL)

Yes, definitely excited. Fingers crossed, we all get it! Have you studied Japanese in the past or will Boren be your first experience studying the language?

On 2/19/2020 at 1:31 PM, Scaura said:

I applied for the fellowship in Japan as well, but will likely try to change the program to something different from what was on my application. Did you apply to study, do research, or intern? If study, which program are you going for?

On 3/5/2020 at 3:26 PM, KZ_ said:

Hi everyone! I applied for the scholarship (Arabic in Morocco). This wait is brutal, haha. Has everyone received a survey email?

Hey! It is brutal. I received the survey email and completed it. You guys think that Boren will push back travel due to the coronavirus?

12 hours ago, kt_233 said:

Hey! It is brutal. I received the survey email and completed it. You guys think that Boren will push back travel due to the coronavirus?

I was wondering about that, too. I guess it depends on where you plan on studying and when your course/program starts. Mine is in late July. How about yours?

7 hours ago, KZ_ said:

I was wondering about that, too. I guess it depends on where you plan on studying and when your course/program starts. Mine is in late July. How about yours?

Yes, I think you're right. My program starts in September. I think we should be getting the budget email soon, based on reading the previous Boren forum.  Maybe this coming week or the week after.

I applied for Portuguese in Mozambique. I'm also a semifinalist for a Fulbright to Rwanda. I'm also hoping coronavirus doesn't impact either of these programs because the application process was daunting! We all worked so hard. I think it'll be okay though. :-)

On 3/7/2020 at 8:48 PM, LoSo said:

I applied for Portuguese in Mozambique. I'm also a semifinalist for a Fulbright to Rwanda. I'm also hoping coronavirus doesn't impact either of these programs because the application process was daunting! We all worked so hard. I think it'll be okay though. ?

That's awesome! Congratulations on being selected as a Fulbright semifinalist and good luck! Hopefully you are selected for both.

Yeah, I'm a little bit nervous about the coronavirus, hopefully we can get it in control soon.

Hey! I applied to AFLI Tanzania Fellowship! Very anxious to hear results - apparently we'll be receiving budget emails soon!

I reached out to Boren and asked about any anticipated impacts of COVID-19 on admission results, this was the email I received:

Hi A___,

We won’t really know what we will do until sometime this summer. If Tanzania is still looking OK, the Boren will likely go. If the AFLI program is able to go to Tanzania/Mozambique/Senegal then my guess is that would only happen in most U.S. universities allow their students to travel. At this time we are monitoring the events and hope for a good outcome. Not much else we can do for now I’m afraid.

I hope that helps but feel free to send any follow-up questions if you have them. We will be sending out information to all applicants mid-April with the results of the selection panels.
Cheers,

Michael Saffle

Boren Awards

So nothing surprising or earth shattering but figured I'd share here anyway. Current Boren recipients from my school are apparently being called back, even those stationed in countries that haven't been hit yet... 

On 3/11/2020 at 8:44 AM, aarathbone said:

Hey! I applied to AFLI Tanzania Fellowship! Very anxious to hear results - apparently we'll be receiving budget emails soon!

I reached out to Boren and asked about any anticipated impacts of COVID-19 on admission results, this was the email I received:

Hi A___,

We won’t really know what we will do until sometime this summer. If Tanzania is still looking OK, the Boren will likely go. If the AFLI program is able to go to Tanzania/Mozambique/Senegal then my guess is that would only happen in most U.S. universities allow their students to travel. At this time we are monitoring the events and hope for a good outcome. Not much else we can do for now I’m afraid.

I hope that helps but feel free to send any follow-up questions if you have them. We will be sending out information to all applicants mid-April with the results of the selection panels.
Cheers,

Michael Saffle

Boren Awards

So nothing surprising or earth shattering but figured I'd share here anyway. Current Boren recipients from my school are apparently being called back, even those stationed in countries that haven't been hit yet... 

Thank you for sharing that email! I am anxious if my program will be canceled because my selected country is currently on lockdown and there are no other countries where I could learn that language. 

On 3/11/2020 at 11:44 AM, aarathbone said:

Hi A___,

Cheers,

Michael Saffle

Boren Awards

I applied for a Fellowship to Tanzania too, but not AFLI, just because my fellowship has a long research component based in Mwanza. I wish the AFLI would’ve worked because I hear the language immersion both at UF and in Arusha is really strong. But thanks for the update, it is encouraging that they aren’t scrapping the program entirely. I feel bad for all the people in ECA programs being called back to the US right now.

Hey everyone,

Just a head's up that there are now sections on the application status page where we can update our budgets and/or program dates. I hadn't received an email so I was surprised to see these sections. Has anybody received a budget email?

I have,

I got a "boren fellowship applicant budget update opportunity" this morning. A gist about COVID-19 but that selection would go on as planned, notifications planned for mid-april. Should people be selected and need to revise their plans, they will work with the Boren team on an individual basis. 

Good luck everyone

16 hours ago, KZ_ said:

Hey everyone,

Just a head's up that there are now sections on the application status page where we can update our budgets and/or program dates. I hadn't received an email so I was surprised to see these sections. Has anybody received a budget email?

Just received mine this morning and so did my friend for the Ghana AFLI Fellowship! 

21 hours ago, KZ_ said:

Hey everyone,

I received a budget email. 

Received mine as well! I probably won't change my dates (I originally intended to start in October, and my program is quite flexible).

Does anyone know when we NEED to start our fellowships/scholarships? It was my understanding that you could start at the end of 2020 or the beginning of 2021, but I don't know if there's a specific end date when we have to leave our country.