2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

6 minutes ago, Dochinka96 said:

This Boise State bullshit is driving me nuts lol

is it the same person???

I could imagine it's frustrating since the Results page isn't terribly enlightening. A lot of people from previous years seemed pissed off too...

7 hours ago, Karakoram said:

@MFALongshot: I always want to do films as well. *hi-5*

Ayyyyyy

6 hours ago, anarchisttiger said:

I used to work in the film industry – prepare yourselves for a brutal workaholic culture. Also prepare for starting at the bottom no matter what, basically. Not trying to dissuade you, just information I wish I’d had some years ago. Best advice is to be early and be kind to everyone! 

That's awesome that you worked in film. I don't think I'd mind the workaholic culture but who knows. I've only worked on a couple small projects. Were you working out in Cali or something?

41 minutes ago, MFALongshot said:

Ayyyyyy

That's awesome that you worked in film. I don't think I'd mind the workaholic culture but who knows. I've only worked on a couple small projects. Were you working out in Cali or something?

I actually worked here in Georgia. The industry is big down here – Stranger Things is shot here, Black Panther, Thor, Insatiable, list goes on! 

edit: it wasn’t working a lot that bothered me – it was everyone else’s attitude around working so much (very much a dick contest), the egos at play, and the way men treated me on set. 

Edited by anarchisttiger

9 minutes ago, anarchisttiger said:

I actually worked here in Georgia. The industry is big down here – Stranger Things is shot here, Black Panther, Thor, Insatiable, list goes on! 

edit: it wasn’t working a lot that bothered me – it was everyone else’s attitude around working so much (very much a dick contest), the egos at play, and the way men treated me on set. 

Ahh now I get it. That's very different than what I thought you meant. That really sucks. Would you ever consider still working on films if it's something small with people you know (and like)?

Also I didn't know the industry was that big in Georgia.

2 hours ago, SarahBuya said:

I heard from Emerson (one of my top online choices) and got in!

I'm really excited about the acceptance, but now I have decisions to make! 

Hey SarahBuya — congratulations to you! Top choice acceptance is awesome. :)

Can I ask when you submitted your application and in what genre? 

Edited by Riverrunner9

5 minutes ago, Riverrunner9 said:

Hey SarahBuya — congratulations to you! Top choice acceptance is awesome. :)

Can I ask when you submitted you application and in what genre? 

Thank you! 

I submitted my application in November. The program is a MFA in Popular Fiction and Publishing. 

I'm waiting to hear back from three more schools and then I'll have to make a decision. I need something that is online or VERY low-residency considering I can't move for a program. Sooo, I'm weighing my options while drooling over all of the schools discussed on this forum lol.

I had a lovely phone call tonight with the director of the MFA program at University of Missouri Kansas City and I am IN! Waiting to hear back about GTA and fellowships by the first two weeks of March. For all of you guys anxious about the phone call acceptances, we played phone tag ALL day because I was at work, but she was so absolutely sweet and kind. I needed this after the cold, cold UMass Amherst rejection. Hasn’t been my first choice but I’m excited to look into the program a bit more. She was so kind about my writing and told me that my app was met with unanimous enthusiasm, so that will definitely tide me over through some of the rejections I’m sure to be receiving soon. Hang in there, everyone!!

34 minutes ago, Smrn17 said:

I had a lovely phone call tonight with the director of the MFA program at University of Missouri Kansas City and I am IN! Waiting to hear back about GTA and fellowships by the first two weeks of March. For all of you guys anxious about the phone call acceptances, we played phone tag ALL day because I was at work, but she was so absolutely sweet and kind. I needed this after the cold, cold UMass Amherst rejection. Hasn’t been my first choice but I’m excited to look into the program a bit more. She was so kind about my writing and told me that my app was met with unanimous enthusiasm, so that will definitely tide me over through some of the rejections I’m sure to be receiving soon. Hang in there, everyone!!

Congratulations! New letters is one my favorite litmags in the whole world! I hope you get funded! 

Edited by rbr542

5 hours ago, MFALongshot said:

Ahh now I get it. That's very different than what I thought you meant. That really sucks. Would you ever consider still working on films if it's something small with people you know (and like)?

Also I didn't know the industry was that big in Georgia.

I would love to continue working in film. The culture is slowly changing, so maybe one day. And yeah the industry is huge here! All interested filmmakers should check it out! Atlanta ain't cheap but it's no NYC or LA either. 

Congratulations to @SarahBuya and @Smrn17!!

11 hours ago, Smrn17 said:

Hi’ !!! Huge congestion’s I was so excited to go and apply to this school too. Do you think this means if we haven’t heard back it’s rejection time? I got this in an email on the eleventh when I finally found out my official transcript hadn’t been received

Thanks for following up on your official transcripts. If you followed the instructions in my original email below, then your transcripts will be sent directly to our Admissions Office for processing. After processing is complete, which usually takes about a week, I will have access to your official transcripts. If you would like to confirm receipt of your official transcripts, you can contact our Admissions Office at 816-235-8652. 

Rest assured that we consider your application on time and our faculty had all the information needed to begin reviewing your application to make a preliminary decision.

I think that’s pretty clear rejection right?! It’s ok as terribly sad as I am cause there are 9 more schools. However any thoughts are greatly appreciated 

U GO GIRL! 

On 2/10/2020 at 11:28 AM, anarchisttiger said:

Thank you everyone for the responses!

Another question for the group...what do you do when you have writer's block? I am so! ready! and pumped!! to start writing again after a little break but nothing comes to me. I've been journaling in hopes that will spark something but no dice.

On 2/10/2020 at 11:55 AM, feralgrad said:

Honestly, I've had almost no inspiration to write since I submitted my apps. I'm generally in the "just write anyway" camp when I have writer's block, but currently I'm trying to take it easy. I've been drawing a lot instead, so I still have a creative/emotional outlet. If you have other creative hobbies, maybe you can lean on those.

meant to respond to this when I saw it the other day. I read a fantastic article about writer's block in Poets & Writers a while back by Sarah Ruhl. if I saved the magazine, I'll provide, but you might be able to find it online. She basically narrows it down to 12 causes and proposed fixes. It's really sensible and made my feelings towards a dry spell at least calm down. 

2 hours ago, CultyCoolSchool said:

I think that’s pretty clear rejection right?! It’s ok as terribly sad as I am cause there are 9 more schools. However any thoughts are greatly appreciated 

I don't think that's a clear rejection at all! I think they're trying to reassure you that despite not having your transcripts, you are still eligible for consideration. 

30 minutes ago, cdreibelbis said:

meant to respond to this when I saw it the other day. I read a fantastic article about writer's block in Poets & Writers a while back by Sarah Ruhl. if I saved the magazine, I'll provide, but you might be able to find it online. She basically narrows it down to 12 causes and proposed fixes. It's really sensible and made my feelings towards a dry spell at least calm down. 

I found the record of the article on the Poets & Writers archive but that's all. I hope you can find the magazine!

hi! first time posting, fiction applicant here, just realized I had a spam email from Rutgers-camden asking for me to send scores to be considered for acceptance. I had ETS send my GRE scores over (luckily I took it for other programs, I didn't think Camden needed them) and the helpful person at their admissions office told me to use a code 2790, which showed as New Brunswick, not Camden. She said she believed it's the same code regardless of which location you're applying to. I just wanted to see if anyone else ran into this, and if you used the same code--thank you!! hope everyone is getting happy news soon :)

UT Austin's NWP program is notifying, according to the results board. Does that mean Michener will too? historically, they have come out at around the same time. Anyone brave enough to check their portals?  ?

Edited by rbr542

25 minutes ago, Brother Panda said:

Rejected at Austin (NWP). It was my first (and worst) application. Half-baked letter of intent, stories I later revised and edited. Congratulations to those accepted!! 0a/1r/1w/11p

Sorry to hear that.... the deadlines for Austin's programs are way too early :(

Edited by rbr542