2020 FALL APPLICATION VENTING THREAD

toolkitsocio

On 2/8/2020 at 9:46 PM, lkaitlyn said:

Hang in there. I remember your post from the Am I Competitive thread and you looked like a great applicant. If you stuck with that list of schools, they're all super difficult to get into and admissions to them is very arbitrary at a certain point, so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Worst case scenario you come back and rock the app cycle next year, maybe with a couple schools that are slightly easier to get into so there's more diversity. But you're certainly qualified for the schools you applied to and I wouldn't be surprised if one or more pulls through for you. (And waitlists are very much living things!)

ahhh, thank you, I got another waitlist today... Well, Albany emailed and offered admission, however I'm on waitlist for funding. You know the drill... no funding no go... 

20 hours ago, passere said:

Did anyone else apply to Columbia's sociomedical sciences (sociology) program? I see a few acceptances and rejections on the board, but most people aren't specifying which concentration they applied to. And like everyone else is noting with other programs, it looks super delayed from last year.

I also applied there, with the sociology concentration! It was definitely my "well at least I'll try" program, since the admissions system is slim and makes no sense ?  haven't heard anything, nor has my portal been updated. Although according to previous years, they were accepting people into March. I just hope I eventually hear something from them.  

2 hours ago, GradStudentFall2020 said:

I confirm the Brown acceptance. I was contacted by the director of graduate studies, student affairs coordinator and another POI. They offer five years of full funding, 4 summers. Visit day is March 9th, 2020. 

Yeah, I saw all the other posts just now. I didn’t get in myself, but thanks for the reply, and congratulations! :)

Edited by foxfire123

42 minutes ago, PoliticalSociology said:

Any explanation on the Princeton acceptance? Strange to just see one posted...

Also curious about this...seems strange. Though I realized that last year, most acceptances were posted February 19 and February 21, but there were also acceptances posted on Feb 8 and even Feb 1. Maybe they are just very sporadic? 

21 minutes ago, webdubois said:

dECiSiOnS WiLl bE MaDe bY tHe SeCOnD WeEk oF FeBRuArY

- Stanford

Dawn of the final day....I wish they just hadn't told us that this was when they were aiming to release decisions honestly. Especially with Monday being a holiday, if we don't hear back by the end of the day I'm gonna be pissed 

1 hour ago, goodnoodle said:

Dawn of the final day....I wish they just hadn't told us that this was when they were aiming to release decisions honestly. Especially with Monday being a holiday, if we don't hear back by the end of the day I'm gonna be pissed 

Until you said Monday is a holiday, I honestly didn't remember that. Oh dear.

On 2/10/2020 at 12:57 PM, 0102030405 said:

Hi all! 
A non-admissions question but was wondering if anybody had any reading suggestions on social networks? I’ve got quite a lot of free time for the next few months and I’m starting to become more interested in this research area so wanted to do some reading to see if I want to take this area further.

If you like reading theory for fun, then Bourdieu and Granovetter are quintessential. (I personally like Berger and Luckman.) Robert Putnam's "Bowling Alone" is the classic community/social networking piece we read for this subject. 

51 minutes ago, Acfay27 said:

Hi all,

I am new to Gradcafe, and I am also desperately waiting to hear from schools. I was wondering if anyone has heard from UPenn or UT Austin? Thank you!!

There have been some UTs on the Results board; no UPenn's that I've seen.

Does anyone know if Columbia Admissions are over? I know in the past they've sent out acceptances in two waves, but I am growing increasingly less hopeful. Congrats to those who have been admitted!

Edited by emoiso01

1 hour ago, emoiso01 said:

Does anyone know if Columbia Admissions are over? I know in the past they've sent out acceptances in two waves, but I am growing increasingly less hopeful. Congrats to those who have been admitted?

I don't know anything specifically about Columbia, but given that many other top schools are later than usual and haven't released any results yet, I would guess there is still a possibility people accepted by these schools would turn down previous offers, including Columbia

Edited by soc2310
typo