2020 FALL APPLICATION VENTING THREAD

toolkitsocio

5 minutes ago, SocAnth_Lou said:

I would like to, but am in the same boat of not knowing who to ask. Also, with how many applications they received, I'm not sure if any of them will be able to give any feed back and I'll just look silly for asking.

I'd like to as well. I've heard of people doing it before. Can any former applicants who have successfully gotten feedback on rejected applications weigh in?

Edited by lkaitlyn

33 minutes ago, SocAnth_Lou said:

I would like to, but am in the same boat of not knowing who to ask. Also, with how many applications they received, I'm not sure if any of them will be able to give any feed back and I'll just look silly for asking.

I don’t know for sure and I don’t think I’ll be asking for feedback but I think how I’d go about it personally is either email the program coordinator or the POI if I had a good relationship with the latter or had an established email chain with them. You haven’t got a lot to lose and as long as you’re polite you won’t look silly! 

9 hours ago, passere said:

I had a similar feeling when I was looking at UCLA faculty, and similarly, it’s the only place I’ve been admitted. 

Congratulations on your UCLA admission. I tried to contact multiple POIs at UCLA but I only got negative replies (I won't be able to advise you, I only take students who can immediately work on my current project, etc.). So I knew that my application wouldn't receive much attention from them. 

13 hours ago, lkaitlyn said:

I'd like to as well. I've heard of people doing it before. Can any former applicants who have successfully gotten feedback on rejected applications weigh in?

Hi! I've asked for feedback when I was rejected from a PhD program/research project at a European university  (IHEID) last year. I felt like there was nothing to lose, and I had been exchanging with the POI (in this case, the professor who was leading the project). His feedback was that the fit/experience from other applicants was stronger/more relevant than mine. 

I don't think it's silly to ask for feedback, even if you get a similar response (that does not directly speak of the quality of your application but rather focuses on those of the others) or no response at all. It may give you peace of mind, like it did to me.  

5 hours ago, Meylinaless said:

Hi! I've asked for feedback when I was rejected from a PhD program/research project at a European university  (IHEID) last year. I felt like there was nothing to lose, and I had been exchanging with the POI (in this case, the professor who was leading the project). His feedback was that the fit/experience from other applicants was stronger/more relevant than mine. 

I don't think it's silly to ask for feedback, even if you get a similar response (that does not directly speak of the quality of your application but rather focuses on those of the others) or no response at all. It may give you peace of mind, like it did to me.  

Who did you ask (e.g., professor in charge of grad admissions, program coordinator, POI)?

30 minutes ago, lkaitlyn said:

Who did you ask (e.g., professor in charge of grad admissions, program coordinator, POI)?

The professor who was leading the project that was recruiting PhD students, he was part of the admission committee and also the POI in this particular case. I would think that the best bet is the professor in charge of grad admissions. Or you could also email the POI and ask if she/he could kindly redirect you to someone who could provide feedback (it's not always the case POIs are part of the admission committee, but if she/he is, then that makes things easier). Hope that makes sense!  

I'm still waiting to hear back from NYU and Princeton! I know that the fact that NYU acceptances seem to have gone out and I haven't heard is almost all the answer I need, but that's where I am right now. 

...9.  Nine. Nine.  This isn't looking very good for me... I've only heard back from 3, 2 nos, 1 waitlist.  I'm thankful for the waitlist, in a way.  My mental state would be 1000 times worse had I not had that sliver of hope...

But, I know a few of my schools sent out acceptances already.  I got nothing.  Don't know if I'm on an "unofficial waitlist" too for those, or if they just haven't sent out the rejections yet...

14 hours ago, HoneyBoba said:

...9.  Nine. Nine.  This isn't looking very good for me... I've only heard back from 3, 2 nos, 1 waitlist.  I'm thankful for the waitlist, in a way.  My mental state would be 1000 times worse had I not had that sliver of hope...

But, I know a few of my schools sent out acceptances already.  I got nothing.  Don't know if I'm on an "unofficial waitlist" too for those, or if they just haven't sent out the rejections yet...

Sending good vibes and crossing my fingers you hear back soon! It's so exhausting waiting when you want something so much! All the best

On 2/20/2020 at 11:03 AM, Soc2020 said:

Wow. Congrats on all your admissions! Especially Stanford. I remember you being nervous about "ghosted" by them a few days ago.

Meanwhile, I am amazed how Yale continues to be the only institution I got into. I guess the "fit" really does matter. I did think, the moment I went through the faculty list at Yale, that this would be THE institution for my research ideas. Apparently they did too. And none of the other universities shared the sentiment.

Sorry this is such a late reply (I'm still an undergrad and had several midterms to turn in) but thank you!!!!!!! I was honestly so terribly anxious about my Stanford application for super long, and getting in was like a sudden and HUGE wave of relief and joy. 

I'm definitely realizing exactly what people mean when they say grad admissions are a crap shoot. Even the idea of "fit" has a randomized element to it...Congrats though!!! We fuckin did it :)  

59 minutes ago, goodnoodle said:

Sorry this is such a late reply (I'm still an undergrad and had several midterms to turn in) but thank you!!!!!!! I was honestly so terribly anxious about my Stanford application for super long, and getting in was like a sudden and HUGE wave of relief and joy. 

I'm definitely realizing exactly what people mean when they say grad admissions are a crap shoot. Even the idea of "fit" has a randomized element to it...Congrats though!!! We fuckin did it :) 

Hey goodnoodle, congratulations on you acceptances! I'm wishing you the best.

I'm curious what is your profile like? I'm trying to improve my profile for the next cycle and I'm curious what your background (gre, gpa, discipline etc) is like as I am interested in getting into similar schools. What do you think made you attractive to the schools! Thanks!

On 2/21/2020 at 12:15 AM, Soc2020 said:

Congratulations on your UCLA admission. I tried to contact multiple POIs at UCLA but I only got negative replies (I won't be able to advise you, I only take students who can immediately work on my current project, etc.). So I knew that my application wouldn't receive much attention from them. 

Congrats to you as well :) we did it!

I randomly got an acceptance letter today from UIC and I couldn't be more pleased! Considering they sent their first round of acceptances back in January, I assumed it was a lost cause. Plenty of people on here have said "don't give up hope" or "there's still hope" and, I must admit, I bitterly thought: "not for me." But here I am! Two acceptances so far to programs that feel so right. I am very happy! Here's to hoping for more good news. Congrats to those who have gotten in and good luck to those still waiting to hear.

47 minutes ago, MFSocio said:

I randomly got an acceptance letter today from UIC and I couldn't be more pleased! Considering they sent their first round of acceptances back in January, I assumed it was a lost cause. Plenty of people on here have said "don't give up hope" or "there's still hope" and, I must admit, I bitterly thought: "not for me." But here I am! Two acceptances so far to programs that feel so right. I am very happy! Here's to hoping for more good news. Congrats to those who have gotten in and good luck to those still waiting to hear.

Congrats!!! Time to celebrate!!

3 hours ago, DisciplineSwitcher97 said:

Hey goodnoodle, congratulations on you acceptances! I'm wishing you the best.

I'm curious what is your profile like? I'm trying to improve my profile for the next cycle and I'm curious what your background (gre, gpa, discipline etc) is like as I am interested in getting into similar schools. What do you think made you attractive to the schools! Thanks!

I'll DM you what I sent to someone else about this!

Just saw the results post that someone got accepted to Michigan joint Sociology & Public Policy on Friday. Congrats! If that person is reading, would you mind sharing whether it was an official email or email from a POI? I’m on pins and needles about my application there... Thanks!

On 2/21/2020 at 4:20 PM, 0102030405 said:

Out of interest how many programs are people still waiting to hear back from?

I’ve still for three to go. One of them I have presumably been ‘unofficially waitlisted’ from and the other two no clue!

I also have 3 to go: Harvard, Princeton, and NYU. I'm guessing that this week will wrap things up

Edited by goodnoodle

Weirdly I haven’t had an email about acceptance to the Sociology program at UC Riverside (in fact haven’t heard at all from them since applying) but have just received a funding offer from them, doesn’t say anything about acceptance just “here’s the money” which I found a bit weird. I’m presuming I’ve been accepted then though? 

11 minutes ago, 0102030405 said:

Weirdly I haven’t had an email about acceptance to the Sociology program at UC Riverside (in fact haven’t heard at all from them since applying) but have just received a funding offer from them, doesn’t say anything about acceptance just “here’s the money” which I found a bit weird. I’m presuming I’ve been accepted then though? 

I received an email from UCLA targeted at current grad students asking me to send them info for my fellowship applications before I got the email telling me I was admitted. I was very confused and also didn't want to hope. They were sent about an hour apart, so maybe your admissions email is on the way? Congratulations on funding though! If they didn't admit you, does that mean you just get money? XD

1 hour ago, passere said:

I received an email from UCLA targeted at current grad students asking me to send them info for my fellowship applications before I got the email telling me I was admitted. I was very confused and also didn't want to hope. They were sent about an hour apart, so maybe your admissions email is on the way? Congratulations on funding though! If they didn't admit you, does that mean you just get money? XD

Ah Okay so it's not completely weird for this to happen then aha! Still haven't received an email but have checked on the portal and there is now an official offer letter from the Dean of Graduate Admissions available. Ah yes my mother also said that if they don't admit they should still give me the money, ah if only that could be the way! Although the fellowship was really really low though which surprised me (it shouldn't surprise me as its a public university) and it actually had a shortfall to meet visa requirements. 

7 hours ago, 0102030405 said:

Ah Okay so it's not completely weird for this to happen then aha! Still haven't received an email but have checked on the portal and there is now an official offer letter from the Dean of Graduate Admissions available. Ah yes my mother also said that if they don't admit they should still give me the money, ah if only that could be the way! Although the fellowship was really really low though which surprised me (it shouldn't surprise me as its a public university) and it actually had a shortfall to meet visa requirements. 

Congratulations! Yeah, I'm not looking forward to getting by in California on grad student stipends, but... public universities.