2020 FALL APPLICATION VENTING THREAD

toolkitsocio

12 minutes ago, achang324 said:

Does anyone know anything about UC Irvine? I haven't seen any acceptance on the result board this year but other UC schools have already sent out offers. I still haven't heard anything back from UC Irvine. Should I email and ask?

I've been told by my mentors to wait until March to ask, but advice may vary depending on school.

18 minutes ago, achang324 said:

Does anyone know anything about UC Irvine? I haven't seen any acceptance on the result board this year but other UC schools have already sent out offers. I still haven't heard anything back from UC Irvine. Should I email and ask?

Irvine sent out acceptances in early February. (That’s probably why you don’t see the acceptances on the first few pages of results at this point.) Historically UCI waits to respond to others until they know they aren’t extending more offers, so it’s kind of like a waitlist of sorts? They’re fuzzy about it. Recruitment weekend is next week so people will start deciding whether to accept or not soon, which will hopefully help you get a decision faster. Hang in there!

4 hours ago, lkaitlyn said:

Irvine sent out acceptances in early February. (That’s probably why you don’t see the acceptances on the first few pages of results at this point.) Historically UCI waits to respond to others until they know they aren’t extending more offers, so it’s kind of like a waitlist of sorts? They’re fuzzy about it. Recruitment weekend is next week so people will start deciding whether to accept or not soon, which will hopefully help you get a decision faster. Hang in there!

UCI send acceptances at the end of January. I rejected their offer yesteday so hope the place opens up soon and they can notify those on the waitlist! And yes, hopefully after recruitment days (6th and  7th) next week admitted students with multiple offers will make their minds sooner rather than later. 

All the best!!

9 hours ago, passere said:

Congratulations! Yeah, I'm not looking forward to getting by in California on grad student stipends, but... public universities.

Throughout my life I’ve ended up attending universities in the most expensive global cities...here’s to being poor for another 6 years aha! 
Congratulations and good luck with everything! 

4 hours ago, 0102030405 said:

Throughout my life I’ve ended up attending universities in the most expensive global cities...here’s to being poor for another 6 years aha! 
Congratulations and good luck with everything! 

Yeah how does UCI expect people to live on their stipend? I don't understand.

2 hours ago, lkaitlyn said:

Yeah how does UCI expect people to live on their stipend? I don't understand.

I dunno about anyone else, but there's a few schools that I intentionally didn't apply to simply because I wouldn't be able to afford to live there... It's sad, but I guess that's how it is. 

28 minutes ago, HoneyBoba said:

I dunno about anyone else, but there's a few schools that I intentionally didn't apply to simply because I wouldn't be able to afford to live there... It's sad, but I guess that's how it is. 

Me too. No clue how UCI, UCLA, Berkeley, and NYU/Columbia/CUNY students do it. 

2 hours ago, annetod said:

Me too. No clue how UCI, UCLA, Berkeley, and NYU/Columbia/CUNY students do it. 

NYU funding is do-able in NYC because it's all fellowship, so teaching on top gives you ~$40k. I agree for the others. This is why Columbia students are probably going on strike soon and the UCs seem to be as well.

1 hour ago, lkaitlyn said:

NYU funding is do-able in NYC because it's all fellowship, so teaching on top gives you ~$40k. I agree for the others. This is why Columbia students are probably going on strike soon and the UCs seem to be as well.

Interesting, going off PhD Stipends website it looks like NYU overall pay is between $30-35k, and as someone with more NYC experience than I'd like, that amount is hard to fathom especially given that NYU is in a very expensive neighborhood. You're either going to spend 70% of your stipend on rent (for a small shared apartment) or have a super long commute. I didn't even bother applying to New York City schools because of this. 

Is there anyone who has not heard back from Umich? I know they have already sent out acceptance and rejection letters, but I am wondering where mine is. 

I will contact the department next week anyway, and I think Umich has no such thing as waitlist. But, still.

Edited by soc__univ

On 2/23/2020 at 10:20 AM, goodnoodle said:

I'll DM you what I sent to someone else about this!

Congratulations on your acceptances!! I am also an applicant for PhD programs in Sociology. I have received only one offer this year, rejected by my dream programs. So I am considering applying again in the next circle. I wonder if you could share your profile with me, too? Your information will be greatly helpful for me to prepare for the future application. Thank you very much and congratulations again!

I just got my 11th rejection. Amazing. I am quite bummed by the fact that I didn't get into anywhere else. Again, this "fit" really does matter.

Well, I'm not complaining. I got into my the program of my first choice. It's a really happy turn of circumstances that the only program that accepted you is the one that I actually wanted to get in the most. ?

19 hours ago, annetod said:

Interesting, going off PhD Stipends website it looks like NYU overall pay is between $30-35k, and as someone with more NYC experience than I'd like, that amount is hard to fathom especially given that NYU is in a very expensive neighborhood. You're either going to spend 70% of your stipend on rent (for a small shared apartment) or have a super long commute. I didn't even bother applying to New York City schools because of this. 

I mean if you go to NYU you're not going to live by NYU if you want to survive. NYC means being flexible about where you live. NYU totally gentrified their neighborhood and it's impossible to live right now. Public transit makes living elsewhere totally possible, even in New Jersey. (And yes, that's the stipend. Teaching is separate money on top of that according to their websites and people I know there. It's not comfortable but certainly doable if you're flexible about neighborhoods/boroughs.)

Edited by lkaitlyn

3 hours ago, MFSocio said:

Has anyone waitlisted for funding from Rutgers heard back?

I have not heard back yet. I emailed the Director after admittance and I asked him when I would hear back. He said probably not until after the open house in March. I wish they would tell us what place we are on the waitlist. 

Edited by DisciplineSwitcher97
Elaborating.

22 minutes ago, DisciplineSwitcher97 said:

I have not heard back yet. I emailed the Director after admittance and I asked him when I would hear back. He said probably not until after the open house in March. I wish they would tell us what place we are on the waitlist. 

Oh wow that late? I agree! I'm also curious as to how many people are on the waitlist. They did say they usually cycle through the list for their final cohort but I was hoping people would start turning down the offers and some of us would hear good news by now.

Does anyone have any insight on how wait listing tends to work out? After quite an unlucky season, my only 'offer' is the UCSD wait list and I'm trying to figure out whether it's reasonable to expect that that might go somewhere. The admissions secretary was very polite but declined to give any details about the list's length etc. If things did improve, is it right to assume that I'm unlikely to hear anything until the end of March?

18 hours ago, DisciplineSwitcher97 said:

18 hours ago, MFSocio said:

Oh wow that late? I agree! I'm also curious as to how many people are on the waitlist. They did say they usually cycle through the list for their final cohort but I was hoping people would start turning down the offers and some of us would hear good news by now.

Last year I heard back from the director on April 13 that I am next in line so be prepared for that......As far as I remember, 11-12 people attended Open House. 

PS: I didn't attend bc the person they were waiting for response eventually accepted the offer. Director then told me to reapply and I did, and being rejected this time lol A depressing experience for me...

Edited by ALieNNatioN

14 hours ago, guccimane said:

Is it a bad sign that my target program states that they accept people in early March, but I have not had my interview yet? I was offered an interview in early February, but they never called me or responded to my email.

That's really awkward. Is there someone else you can contact, than the person you've tried corresponding with?

2 minutes ago, passere said:

That's really awkward. Is there someone else you can contact, than the person you've tried corresponding with?

Yes, very awkward. I don't understand why they would do that. I could contact another professor or the department administration, but is that really a good idea?

3 minutes ago, guccimane said:

Yes, very awkward. I don't understand why they would do that. I could contact another professor or the department administration, but is that really a good idea?

If you haven't heard anything, it certainly can't hurt. Or that's how I would view it. It doesn't seem like you're likely to get anywhere with this professor, so there's nothing to lose by asking someone else. Maybe others have other perspectives?

I've had professors who just never respond to me, even ones I have really good relationships with. Professors just forget to respond... quite often. For it to happen with your interview is just the worst time it could happen ?