2020 FALL APPLICATION VENTING THREAD

toolkitsocio

Finally, after countless weeks of lurking on the forums and getting rejected by universities, I got an offer from Yale!

I was actually so devastated and frustrated by all the rejections that I just went on a two-day trip to countryside. Today was my second day and I just checked my e-mail at 8:00 PM EST (I live in a different part of the world) to receive an email from Yale GSAS to check the application status. I thought it would be another rejection so I logged on in the bathroom while brushing my teeth, and voila! A surprise! I am very relieved that I don't have to be so anxious anymore. I am also excited to work with the very professor who has been the inspiration for my Master's thesis and PhD topic..

Although I haven't posted much here, this thread has been one of the few things that helped keep my spirits up the past few weeks. All the encouraging words to not give up hope meant so much to me, although not directed at me. Thank you very much. I hope all of you get great offers in the few days and weeks to come. I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of you.

5 hours ago, Soc2020 said:

Finally, after countless weeks of lurking on the forums and getting rejected by universities, I got an offer from Yale!

Congratulations! That's amazing. There's so much randomness in this process, both in which applications get noticed by whom at what time, but also in the varying fit and interests of soc programs. This seems especially true if the professor who inspired you is at Yale, so it's great that the stars aligned with your interests and their interests. Sounds like you'll have a very fruitful time at Yale.

Edited by PoliticalSociology

To the person asking about U-Virginia on the results page, I also haven't heard anything yet either. Those interviews seem really early compared to the last two years, but let's be hopeful! Feel free to message if you  need to talk. 

Edited by Almondcake

Hi everyone, 

I've been waiting to hearing back from UCLA and noticed they've already sent out acceptances. Anyone else still waiting? I haven't received a rejection from them either. So I guess it's a good thing. Losing patience! 

Edited by Michelle11331

Funny to see that some have not heard anything from UNC-Chapel Hill. I heard from them a few weeks ago. Conversely I have heard NOTHING from UT-Austin, even though it looks like they sent out acceptance awhile ago! I wish they'd at least send me a rejection or a waitlist notification. I've heard nothing and the portal status still says "in review". Strange how schools don't respond to all applicants in the same week or so.

2 hours ago, lkaitlyn said:

Please dear god don't post a school on the Results page to ask about it. Ask here. Whoever posted a UMich result to ask if it was out gave me a heart attack!

YES thank you.

Better yet, don't ask at all! We're just prospective students too and we don't have any insider info at specific programs. Just look at the thing I posted that compiles 20ish program notification dates, or search the results page for last year's notification dates for the program you're interested in. 

1 hour ago, PhD_PLEASE said:

Funny to see that some have not heard anything from UNC-Chapel Hill. I heard from them a few weeks ago. Conversely I have heard NOTHING from UT-Austin, even though it looks like they sent out acceptance awhile ago! I wish they'd at least send me a rejection or a waitlist notification. I've heard nothing and the portal status still says "in review". Strange how schools don't respond to all applicants in the same week or so

I think this is interesting! I have heard back from UW-Madison and UT-Austin, but not UNC-Chapel Hill at all. Its very strange how they are not consistent, if they don't want to offer admission they should at least do us the courtesy of giving us a rejection outright, rather than have us sweat it out and wait.

25 minutes ago, soc2310 said:

Aaaaaaand then it wasn't (for most of us, congrats to the others :)... let's hope for tomorrow! 

I'm beginning to tell myself that next week will be the week we hear from most places so I don't spend tomorrow and Friday being the person in that spinning chair gif someone posted above.

Edited by lkaitlyn

40 minutes ago, lkaitlyn said:

I'm beginning to tell myself that next week will be the week we hear from most places so I don't spend tomorrow and Friday being the person in that spinning chair gif someone posted above.

It really seems like every program is later this year, doesn't it? And perhaps related, I find it interesting that on February 12 of last year, this thread was already at page 26. Although perhaps they were just more engaged/talkative than this year's group. 

11 minutes ago, annetod said:

It really seems like every program is later this year, doesn't it? And perhaps related, I find it interesting that on February 12 of last year, this thread was already at page 26. Although perhaps they were just more engaged/talkative than this year's group. 

It's not just Sociology — there are super delayed Gender Studies things too. I'm beginning to wonder if for some reason there was a huge floodof applications this year?

1 hour ago, lkaitlyn said:

It's not just Sociology — there are super delayed Gender Studies things too. I'm beginning to wonder if for some reason there was a huge floodof applications this year?

I'm wondering the same. One of my friends who applied for a biology PhD (although unrelated field) got told from a top 20 program they were delayed by many weeks this year due to a flood of application, as they got something like twice or thrice as much as usual

4 hours ago, annetod said:

I noticed that as well XD We're just all suffering alone and in silence I guess.

Grad student lurking: If there's any delay and it's not random, it could be due to funding cuts. I know a lot of public universities are experiencing historic low undergraduate enrollments and therefore budget crises, so they may be delaying notifications in case they have major funding cuts or something. 

Also, feel free to reach out if you want a grad student's lay of the land while you're making decisions. I know some of the drama and reputations better now than when I applied. 

Did anyone else apply to Columbia's sociomedical sciences (sociology) program? I see a few acceptances and rejections on the board, but most people aren't specifying which concentration they applied to. And like everyone else is noting with other programs, it looks super delayed from last year.

41 minutes ago, yticnis said:

Does anybody know about Stony Brook(SUNY)'s funding policy for phd? I looked at its homepage but couldn't find any information about funding. 

In what context? Do you mean if all students are admitted do they get funding (yes)... It varies if you have a TA/RA line or TA/RA line w/ fellowship.... This is pertaining to the social science. If you want a break down in numbers you can PM me.

On 2/12/2020 at 12:21 PM, sosososoc said:

Anyone who has reported that they got contacted about interviews for CUNY - did you get contacted by a professor you had already been in contact with?

My email was neither from a POI nor someone I had previously been in contact with, just a rep of the “sociology admissions committee at CUNY”! 

Hi, all!

I made this account when I applied for my Master's a few years back, and I can't believe I'm already back waiting for my Ph.D. results.

Could anyone claim the Brown acceptance? There was one acceptance that was posted this morning, but since there is only one, I'm not sure how credible it is. Would appreciate any info! :)

14 hours ago, foxfire123 said:

Hi, all!

I made this account when I applied for my Master's a few years back, and I can't believe I'm already back waiting for my Ph.D. results.

Could anyone claim the Brown acceptance? There was one acceptance that was posted this morning, but since there is only one, I'm not sure how credible it is. Would appreciate any info! :)

I confirm the Brown acceptance. I was contacted by the director of graduate studies, student affairs coordinator and another POI. They offer five years of full funding, 4 summers. Visit day is March 9th, 2020.