Fall 2020 Data Science/Analytics Master Applicant Thread

Hi it is my first posting  - I needed a little help on the following programs:

Northwestern MSiA (WL then accepted after interview)

Upenn DS

Berkeley MIMS

Columbia QMSS

( I turned down cmu msp because it is due today; hopefully I won't regret it....)

Would appreciate any advice!

Just now, zycalice said:

Hi it is my first posting  - I needed a little help on the following programs:

Northwestern MSiA (WL then accepted after interview)

Upenn DS

Berkeley MIMS

Columbia QMSS

( I turned down cmu msp because it is due today; hopefully I won't regret it....)

Would appreciate any advice!

Clarify: got accepted to those programs; waiting for nyu ds and columbia ds

Hello all,

I was hoping to get some advice on graduate programs. I have a bba degree in Information Technology and want to go into a more technical field (i.e. data science, software engineering, business intelligence etc.). How would you rank the following programs? 

UChicago Analytics

Duke MIDS

Carnegie Mellon MISM with hefty scholarship

Waiting for Columbia DS 

Thank you in advance! 

Edited by step20

16 minutes ago, Guest123 said:

To those who got into Northwestern MSiA, what is the deadline they gave for accepting the offer? April 15/16?

My deadline is 5/1, but I just got the offer yesterday. I know 3/31 was a deadline also. I feel everyone has different deadlines.

Edited by zycalice

16 hours ago, step20 said:

Hello all,

I was hoping to get some advice on graduate programs. I have a bba degree in Information Technology and want to go into a more technical field (i.e. data science, software engineering, business intelligence etc.). How would you rank the following programs? 

UChicago Analytics

Duke MIDS

Carnegie Mellon MISM with hefty scholarship

Waiting for Columbia DS 

Thank you in advance! 

how long is your MISM program? I feel if you can waive out of some business related classes (I heard they have some and if you take tests you can get out of some of those if you want to?) I would go with cmu. Big fan here, almost went with cmu msp

On 4/1/2020 at 5:07 PM, bayessays said:

$50k/year is basically the tuition at any US private school - Columbia is only significantly cheaper because it's 3 semesters instead of 4.  Master's programs are where schools make a lot of their money.  Essentially, they have to pay PhD students, and there are lots of sources of financial aid to make it affordable for undergraduates, but master's students are left out of most aid.  If you plan on returning to Canada, I'd be pretty concerned about the ability to pay back over $100k USD in loans (plus living expenses).  I doubt the school has much scholarship money but it never hurts to ask, especially if you have another offer like Rochester that might be more affordable?  $150kUSD in loans would result in a monthly payment of like $1800USD/$2500CAD/month.  Is there any possibility to attend a much more affordable Canadian program for your master's?  

Thanks for your input! I guess what you said makes sense. I have some savings and I am lucky to have a family that is willing to support me financially so I don't have to take a loan. I was just surprised when I saw those numbers.

And to your question of attending a Canadian program, since I already have a master's degree in engineering from a top school here, I figured it would only make sense to go to an even better institute in the US if I were to go back to school again. Plus I wanna stay there for work after I graduate, so not really considering any Canadian programs. 

On 1/29/2020 at 10:13 PM, Scholarship said:

Applied

Northwestern, Stanford, MIT, UW, CMU, NYU, Columbia

Have you heard back?

I applied to NYU and Columbia . I was admitted to NYU MS in Data Science (notified a couple weeks ago). Still awaiting final decision from Columbia.

@Em31415 I emailed the admissions office and they got back to me a few days ago saying that they had released their initial decisions a couple weeks ago and would send out the rest of their decisions in the next “couple weeks.” Most schools need a response by april 15th but ok take your sweet time columbia. ? Don’t want to make a decision without knowing all my options but at this point I may just let go of that and commit.

Anybody here got into the Master's in Health Data Science at the Harvard School of Public Health? I'm trying to decide between that and a MS in Biostatistics from Brown University and University of Washington - Seattle.

Edited by hcms1

1 hour ago, mpdata said:

@Em31415 I emailed the admissions office and they got back to me a few days ago saying that they had released their initial decisions a couple weeks ago and would send out the rest of their decisions in the next “couple weeks.” Most schools need a response by april 15th but ok take your sweet time columbia. ? Don’t want to make a decision without knowing all my options but at this point I may just let go of that and commit.

Same here, I emailed the admission office and their response was really vague. And it sounded like not all applicants are getting interview invites. Honestly, if I were you and given that responses need to be made by the 15th, I would just go with NYU. It's one of the first few earliest schools that offer a data science master program, which speaks to its credibility. And if time is not a big problem for you, 2 years at NYU would definitely give a better learning experience than Columbia.

Hi guys, I was admitted to two programs and having a hard time deciding where to attend.
My goal is to get a job in data analyst position, but still want to open chances to pursue PhD afterwards.
Both are STEM designated.

-Duke Fuqua MQM

-Purdue Krannert BAIM

I am leaning toward Fuqua for its good reputation, but discovered that Krannert's curriculum on Business analytics and information management is quite solid and gives you good opportunities to participate in experiential learning, projects, and business analytics forums/conferences while Fuqua does not provide opportunities on forums and conferences. I believe these research experience would definitely help me to get a job in the future.

Could you please share your opinions?
Thank you

On 4/3/2020 at 10:22 AM, zycalice said:

how long is your MISM program? I feel if you can waive out of some business related classes (I heard they have some and if you take tests you can get out of some of those if you want to?) I would go with cmu. Big fan here, almost went with cmu msp

Thanks for your input! I got admitted to the 16 month program and yes if I end up with CMU I’m going to try to be exempt from all business/econ courses. It just sucks that they won’t take undergraduate courses as credits so I’ll have to go over my college notes again to study for the exemption exams...

May I ask do you have any particular reasons as to why you would recommend CMU?

Edited by step20

On 3/19/2020 at 2:42 AM, kb2020 said:

To the ones who've received admits from Columbia, do you mind sharing your GRE scores and whether + when did you apply + interview? 

Hey. I got a 167 Q, 167 V, 5 AW, interviewed last week 

On 3/5/2020 at 4:57 PM, plsgivemeanoffer said:

I'm so relieved. I've received offers from MIT and NYU for data science. I've also received an offer from Stanford. Good luck to everyone still waiting. It's been a stressful journey and my stomach is still in knots even though I've heard back now.

Hey, congrats!

Hope you are staying safe.

Do you mind sharing your stats? 

Hey! I need some advice. 

Admitted: 

- MIDS

- Columbia Data Science

- USF Data Science

- Michigan Statistics, focus in Data Science

- CMU Computational Biology

Stats: 167 Q, 167 V, 5 AW, 3.85 GPA from a mid-tier university majoring in statistics and chemical engineering.

My father is pushing for Columbia because of the pedigree of the institution. I am partial to USF because of the clear employment statistics, shorter length, cheaper tuition, warm location, collaborative atmosphere. Does anybody have any input on this? 

Edited by D Bless

6 hours ago, D Bless said:

Hey! I need some advice. 

Admitted: 

- MIDS

- Columbia Data Science

- USF Data Science

- Michigan Statistics, focus in Data Science

- CMU Computational Biology

Stats: 167 Q, 167 V, 5 AW, 3.85 GPA from a mid-tier university majoring in statistics and chemical engineering.

My father is pushing for Columbia because of the pedigree of the institution. I am partial to USF because of the clear employment statistics, shorter length, cheaper tuition, warm location, collaborative atmosphere. Does anybody have any input on this? 

I was debating between NYU and USF, and I decided to go with NYU because of the ongoing COVID-19 situation. For USF, it's amazing to be in SF and get to form connections firsthand there, but we gotta keep in mind that on-campus education is in jeopardy for this coming fall. Perhaps a longer program and better brand name will be worth it given the circumstances. It sucks though: had the virus not disrupted everything, I saw myself picking the opposite. Best of luck deciding!