Fall 2020 Data Science/Analytics Master Applicant Thread

11 hours ago, ilovepenguins said:

What about USC MS CS (Data Science Track) and Columbia MS DS ?? How do they compare to Uwash, Upenn, Harvard and NYU-CDS 

A friend at USC's program said most people end up going into SWE or Data engineering rather than data science and analytics. Idk what your goals are, but if you want to do more analytics kind of work, I wouldn't go there. USC's program is also huge. Some of their classes can have 200+ people, which makes it hard to get to know your professors.

Columbia's a 1.5 years program. I'm not too inclined on going to programs that aren't 2 years long because they aren't as in-depth. I think comparing NYU with Columbia, I would choose NYU because their program is much more established and have greater variety of coursework. Columbia does have the Ivy League branding though, so it's a tough choice.

Columbia and NYU also tend to have classes at night to accommodate those who are working full time. That can be a pro or con depending on the person.

11 hours ago, Eric9792 said:

Haven't got any update from NYU yet, I am wondering have they done sending the offers?

It seems like they have already sent so many offers this year, and last year they just sent the offer in two days.

Thanks!!

Wondering the same ? Still waiting on a response

But if they sent out all the acceptances in two days last year then I would assume that's the case for this year as well? & The rest who haven't gotten updates yet are waitlisted or rejected?? ?

2 hours ago, nm1874 said:

Wondering the same ? Still waiting on a response

But if they sent out all the acceptances in two days last year then I would assume that's the case for this year as well? & The rest who haven't gotten updates yet are waitlisted or rejected?? ?

Ooof hoping this is not the case, waiting on a response too...

Hi! I am currently deciding between Northwestern MSiA program and Duke's M.S. in Statistical Science and was wondering if anyone has any input that would help make this decision easier. Some notes: My goal is to work in the industry after graduation as a data scientist or something along those lines and I did receive a 50% tuition remission from Duke. Thanks and good luck to everyone with their decisions!

Hi everyone! Has anyone received an interview invite or a decision from Duke's MIDS program? They had started sending interview invites by this time last year but I haven't heard anything from them yet and starting to get a little worried.

Hello,

I would love to hear some of your thoughts on USC's MS in Applied Data Science and if you would choose it over UVA's MS in Data Science. It seems like this USC program gets overshadowed by the USC MSCS (Data Science track). However, with the right choice of electives there is a sizable coursework overlap between the two.

The USC program is longer (2 years vs. 11 months) and the university boasts higher rankings in computer science, math, and engineering. However the UVA program is more established and produces consistent employment data. They each have their strengths, making this a difficult decision.

Edited by Ksull27

Hi everyone, just got waitlisted from NYU DS Full-Time. Which made me curious:

1) Do you guys know if Harvard DS/ MIT MBAn has wait-lists? Or whatever they do if they don't get enough students accepting their offers?

2) Also, I applied to U of Chicago's Master of Business Analytics program, yet no one on this thread seemed to have applied to the program. Is this not considered a top-tier program? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hi, to all candidates admitted to NYU MS DS, were any of you notified about scholarship / funding? Apparently they have already sent out awards for these.

1 hour ago, Do_EE said:

Hi, to all candidates admitted to NYU MS DS, were any of you notified about scholarship / funding? Apparently they have already sent out awards for these.

I wasn't notified about funding of any kind. I just saw on the LinkedIn page that they've given out all the awards. That's a bit of a shame. I wish they'd added a sentence or two to the offer letter to let us know this.

7 hours ago, mpdata said:

Anyone here apply to or (more importantly) hear anything from Duke MIDS, Brown MSDS, or U of Rochester MSDS? 

Have applied to Duke MIDS and have heard nothing from them yet. Not even sure if they've started sending out interview invites.

18 hours ago, mpdata said:

Anyone here apply to or (more importantly) hear anything from Duke MIDS, Brown MSDS, or U of Rochester MSDS? 

I applied to all three but heard back from any one of them yet.

I asked Rochester for an update, and I was told that they will be releasing decisions by 15th~16th of this month. And they are expecting a cohort size of 40 for the fall term.

21 hours ago, mobytheggongnyang said:

Hi everyone, just got waitlisted from NYU DS Full-Time. Which made me curious:

1) Do you guys know if Harvard DS/ MIT MBAn has wait-lists? Or whatever they do if they don't get enough students accepting their offers?

2) Also, I applied to U of Chicago's Master of Business Analytics program, yet no one on this thread seemed to have applied to the program. Is this not considered a top-tier program? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hey! Have you received a decision from UChicago's MS analytics program?

Hello guys!  My application is still marked for review by the Columbia's admissions office, I had too applied to MS in Data Science. Is there any hope of an interview ? (This has been shocking so far, a month gone and my application is still marked for review, even when I submitted on 2/15). I am compelled to ask if this is normal and do I hav any hope of an interview in the coming weeks?

@carolbells Congratulations on your acceptances. It sounds like you’re leaning towards UPenn at the moment, but I see that you also applied and were admitted to USC's MS in Applied Data Science. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the program? I’m torn between that and UVA’s MS in Data Science. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Ksull27 said:

@carolbells Congratulations on your acceptances. It sounds like you’re leaning towards UPenn at the moment, but I see that you also applied and were admitted to USC's MS in Applied Data Science. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the program? I’m torn between that and UVA’s MS in Data Science. Thanks!

Thanks! I don't know much about UVA's program but from what I heard about USC'S MS in applied data science is that it's very geared towards people who want to enter software engineering or data engineering rather than analytics. I'm personally looking for more analytics based programs so I'm not really considering USC's program at the moment.

13 minutes ago, carolbells said:

Thanks! I don't know much about UVA's program but from what I heard about USC'S MS in applied data science is that it's very geared towards people who want to enter software engineering or data engineering rather than analytics. I'm personally looking for more analytics based programs so I'm not really considering USC's program at the moment.

I can definitely see that, since the data informatics programs fall under the computer science department umbrella. However, I think those career paths are probably a lot more common with the MSCS (data science track) than the MS in Applied Data Science, which seems to have more of a balance. To make things more complicated, they also have an MS in Analytics offered through the engineering department, which if I remember correctly, is more focused on the math/stats.

4 minutes ago, Ksull27 said:

I can definitely see that, since the data informatics programs fall under the computer science department umbrella. However, I think those career paths are probably a lot more common with the MSCS (data science track) than the MS in Applied Data Science, which seems to have more of a balance. To make things more complicated, they also have an MS in Analytics offered through the engineering department, which if I remember correctly, is more focused on the math/stats.

I'm quoting a friend who currently attends the program. While that may be true theoretically, the reality is that a lot of students enter the applied data science program with a limited CS background so they can transition into SWE or data engineering. the MS CS (Data Science) program requires a CS background, so students without the background would choose the applied data science program.

I don't really know much about the MS analytics program since its new. I would feel hesitant in being the first batch for a new program.

56 minutes ago, carolbells said:

I'm quoting a friend who currently attends the program. While that may be true theoretically, the reality is that a lot of students enter the applied data science program with a limited CS background so they can transition into SWE or data engineering. the MS CS (Data Science) program requires a CS background, so students without the background would choose the applied data science program.

I don't really know much about the MS analytics program since its new. I would feel hesitant in being the first batch for a new program.

I see what you mean. Thanks for sharing that info. On a final note, setting aside the program’s different goals, is your friend happy with his/her decision, the quality of education, the class sizes, etc.? Do you think he/she would do it again?

Edited by Ksull27