Fall 2020 Data Science/Analytics Master Applicant Thread

@carolbells Hi, do you know if they send out interviews at different times or if they were all sent out yesterday for early decision? Bc I applied on the 15th but the admissions office said my application was under review yesterday. So, I am curious if they have other times they send out interviews because my application wasn't reviewed until yesterday.

Re: Columbia DS

Hey @priya123, it seems based on previous years that interviews do get sent out in multiple waves. Additionally, since your application just went under review yesterday, I wouldn't expect you to have received an interview invite already. That's at least based on my submission/full completion of my app on 2/10, under review 2/11, and interview invite 2/25. As a whole, it seems like they've started the interview process earlier than they did last year, which is nice.

Interested to hear anyone's experience with the interview. Also happy to answer any questions on Stevens ML or Johns Hopkins DS admissions processes.

@S_Ashleigh I had a MSiA interview 2 weeks ago and am also waiting for the results that come out in mid-March. Out of the 4 programs you are applying to, I think NYU would be strongest. GA is also very comparable to MSiA. If you don't mind the fact that it is an online program, it's a very great deal ($10K vs $55K for MSiA). Maybe hold on to the offer till the last few days then decide?

On 2/23/2020 at 10:21 PM, swcb said:

Hi All, 

Accepted

Harvard Masters in Data Science

Stanford MS Statistics: Data Science

U Penn Masters in Data Science

Northwestern Masters in Analytics

Interviewing

MIT MBAn

Pending

CMU Masters in Computational Data Science

I am currently deciding between Harvard and Stanford's Masters in Data Science - if anyone has any opinions or information about either program, I am interested to know your thoughts! 

Thanks!!

Current master student at Harvard (not exactly data science but CSE which is almost identical to data science program and I know everyone here). A lot of people will tell you to go to Stanford. But do that only when you are certain you can handle their courses--it is much harder than Harvard requirement by a long mile. Also Stanford does not support you doing thesis though that remains an option--the timetable won't allow it (unless you are insanely good). So I went to Harvard, and for 1 and half years I only took 2 classes per semester and did a lot of research. Now I got into Berkeley and Harvard for PhD in statistics, which may not be possible or much harder to do with Stanford. 

Edited by DanielWarlock

On 2/24/2020 at 11:57 PM, Scholarship said:

@swcb The reason I mention that MIT is best in terms of job placement is 1. supportiveness of department in career developing / 2. alumni network.

The first reason may come from nature of each department.. as you know, BA degree belonged to business school (sloan) and Data Science degree belonged to like engineering/statistics/cs normally. If you are not familiar with programming, it would be helpful to learn a lot from the curriculum in the program, but if the main decision factor for you is job placement and you already have competence in programming (In my opinion, programmers learn faster in self-studying than in off-line lecture.. so you don't have to go to computer science department to learn), I would recommend business school. As I heard from the alumni of sloan mba (not mban alum, but still sloan...), career team in sloan is eager to connect students to top companies and also the number of sloan alumni in field is considerable.

I'm not sure my sentences are correct cause my mother tongue is not english.. Congratulation for your fantastic result! Good luck in the future :)

Hi @Scholarship , what you said makes a lot of sense! I really appreciate the advice - thank you so much!

11 hours ago, DanielWarlock said:

Current master student at Harvard (not exactly data science but CSE which is almost identical to data science program and I know everyone here). A lot of people will tell you to go to Stanford. But do that only when you are certain you can handle their courses--it is much harder than Harvard requirement by a long mile. Also Stanford does not support you doing thesis though that remains an option--the timetable won't allow it (unless you are insanely good). So I went to Harvard, and for 1 and half years I only took 2 classes per semester and did a lot of research. Now I got into Berkeley and Harvard for PhD in statistics, which may not be possible or much harder to do with Stanford. 

@DanielWarlock Yeah I've heard the statistics master's programs at Stanford and UChicago are brutal. This is slightly off topic, but since you are a current Harvard master's student, do you have any opinions on the health data science master's at the school of public health? I realize that it's at different schools within the university, so no worries if you are not familiar with it!

On 2/23/2020 at 10:21 PM, swcb said:

Hi All, 

Accepted

Harvard Masters in Data Science

Stanford MS Statistics: Data Science

U Penn Masters in Data Science

Northwestern Masters in Analytics

Interviewing

MIT MBAn

Pending

CMU Masters in Computational Data Science

I am currently deciding between Harvard and Stanford's Masters in Data Science - if anyone has any opinions or information about either program, I am interested to know your thoughts! 

Thanks!!

First off, congratulations! That's an amazing set of schools to choose from, and no matter which one you pick, I'm sure you'll be very successful. I think it would help if you clarified what you hoped to do after your master's degree. I imagine you're going to industry (hence data science over pure statistics?), but I'd like to just quickly plug Stanford. As a disclaimer, I'm not familiar with the master's in data science as I think that was created after I graduated. Glancing at the requirements for various departments, it does seem true that Stanford's program is more rigorous than other data science programs out there. I wouldn't shy away from that though. If you're excited to be challenged academically, Stanford might be a really great fit for you! You'll also be surrounded by really strong students that can help connect you to exciting jobs and opportunities that you might have a harder time finding at schools not in the Bay Area. And for what it's worth, I think having a really great fundamental understanding of statistics can differentiate you from the larger pool of data scientists tech companies hire from. I hope that's helpful and good luck!

10 hours ago, seaborn said:

First off, congratulations! That's an amazing set of schools to choose from, and no matter which one you pick, I'm sure you'll be very successful. I think it would help if you clarified what you hoped to do after your master's degree. I imagine you're going to industry (hence data science over pure statistics?), but I'd like to just quickly plug Stanford. As a disclaimer, I'm not familiar with the master's in data science as I think that was created after I graduated. Glancing at the requirements for various departments, it does seem true that Stanford's program is more rigorous than other data science programs out there. I wouldn't shy away from that though. If you're excited to be challenged academically, Stanford might be a really great fit for you! You'll also be surrounded by really strong students that can help connect you to exciting jobs and opportunities that you might have a harder time finding at schools not in the Bay Area. And for what it's worth, I think having a really great fundamental understanding of statistics can differentiate you from the larger pool of data scientists tech companies hire from. I hope that's helpful and good luck!

You can get as rigorous as you want at Harvard but only if you choose to do so. The idea of Harvard and Stanford differ in that Harvard does not intervene and disrupt your own plan for your own education. For someone who does not have a plan though, Stanford is better. The admission at Stanford is more selective too. That said, almost half of the faculty here at Harvard graduated from Stanford: Jason Lucas, Joe Blistzten, Sam Kou, and the newly hired random matrix assistant prof Sen. It is as if you get a Stanford education at Harvard. Very cool if you think about it. Can also do a JD or MD as joint degree at HLS or HMS if you stay here for PhD. 

Edited by DanielWarlock

10 hours ago, hcms1 said:

@DanielWarlock Yeah I've heard the statistics master's programs at Stanford and UChicago are brutal. This is slightly off topic, but since you are a current Harvard master's student, do you have any opinions on the health data science master's at the school of public health? I realize that it's at different schools within the university, so no worries if you are not familiar with it!

I don't know much except that Prof. Kou, Murphy at statistics department are affiliated to public health. So they can potentially be your advisors. Kou is insanely good with theory/methodology. He invented equi-energy sampler and can recite theory of point estimation which is like crazy. I suspect that he knows a great deal about geometry -- it is very cool if you are math-inclined. In fact, Kou graduated from Peking university math and went to Stanford himself for a PhD. This means if you go for him you can get a stanford education at Harvard. Lol. Don't know much about Murphy. 

7 minutes ago, icantdoalgebra said:

The only email I received is the one from about a week and a half ago confirming the date and saying more details would come, but never got that later email.

I just received a rejection email from them this morning. So I would say you have a decent chance if you haven't heard back yet. 

13 hours ago, seaborn said:

@seaborn @DanielWarlock

Really appreciate all the great advice guys! I am hoping to go to the industry (highly doubt I will want to do a PhD after). I hope to work at a tech firm doing Data Science (like everyone else haha).

Also, I personally come from a background of Pure Math and Econ and have mostly been doing Econometrics research so I feel like I have more of a handle of econometrics and optimization (although I definitely want to strengthen my understanding of optimization as well). Where I am really lacking though is a better understanding of the technical underpinnings of machine learning. I'm also interested in NLP so that's where I am hoping my Masters can fill in the gaps for me. 

Keep the advice coming though - really appreciate this. We can also do this in a personal message so we don't blow up everyone else's thread unless this is helpful for others as well. 

Also, I got rejected from CMU today but congrats to everyone else who got accepted!

Hi everyone! Just jumping in here with my results so far.

Accepted

Harvard MSDS

University of Virginia MSDS

Interviewed

Columbia MSDS (Just got the offer for the interview with Columbia today. After I finished they emailed saying they would start releasing decisions mid-March.)

Pending

University of Rochester MSDS

NYU MSDS

Brown MSDS

Duke MIDS

Rejected

University of Washington MSDS

Harvard's program is super new so I would love to know what people have heard/think of it.

3 hours ago, mpdata said:

Accepted

Harvard MSDS

Interviewed

Columbia MSDS (Just got the offer for the interview with Columbia today. After I finished they emailed saying they would start releasing decisions mid-March.)

Pending

NYU MSDS

Brown MSDS

Duke MIDS

Rejected

Harvard's program is super new so I would love to know what people have heard/think of it.

Did Columbia mention mid march or " Please note that decisions are expected to go out by the end of March." ?? I had interviewed on 25th February, they didn't mention they would start releasing decisions mid-March.

1 hour ago, ilovepenguins said:

Did Columbia mention mid march or " Please note that decisions are expected to go out by the end of March." ?? I had interviewed on 25th February, they didn't mention they would start releasing decisions mid-March.

Same...after my interview, my email said they would release the decisions by the end of March as well...

3 hours ago, ilovepenguins said:

Yeah the email said, “Please note that decisions are expected to go out starting the middle of March.”

Hi everyone, here are my results so far:

Accepted

Georgia Tech MS Analytics

Waitlisted

NCSU MS Analytics

Pending

Columbia MSDS

I think I will accept Georgia Tech over Virginia but wondering if you guys have any input. I'm an international student and don't know too much about either school. Thanks!

15 hours ago, mpdata said:

Accepted

Harvard MSDS

Interviewed

Pending

NYU MSDS

Brown MSDS

Duke MIDS

Rejected

Hey, I got the same interview request due by 3rd can you please share your experience. Would be quite helpful thanks.