Fall 2020 Data Science/Analytics Master Applicant Thread

53 minutes ago, Ksull27 said:

I see what you mean. Thanks for sharing that info. On a final note, setting aside the program’s different goals, is your friend happy with his/her decision, the quality of education, the class sizes, etc.? Do you think he/she would do it again?

She did ultimately want to enter a more engineering based role so the program fits her. She's happy with the decision ultimately.

48 minutes ago, carolbells said:

She did ultimately want to enter a more engineering based role so the program fits her. She's happy with the decision ultimately.

Thanks, I’m glad to hear it. Good luck with the rest of your schools!

Hi all - I am a bit split between the two threads here. I primarily applied to MS/MA Stat programs, but also got into Harvard’s MSDS, which is currently my top choice. Unfortunately, the admitted students day was cancelled on account of coronavirus. For stats programs, I am also considering Chicago and Yale (also was admitted to UW & JHU Applied Math/Stat, but not as seriously considering those). I’m 95% sure that I want to go into industry, but also wanted to ask whether anyone had experience with the stats “side” of the curriculum at Harvard? The stats education seems rigorous, and my hope would be to take many of the classes a typical masters student would have taken before they combined the program. 

Hi all, I just got an offer from NW's MSiA program yesterday. This may be the 2nd or 3rd wave they sent out?  Super excited as this is a good program.

I have not yet made my mind between few of the programs. Would you guys enlighten me with your thoughts on the options below? Thank you!

@Scholarship, @swcb, @S_Ashleigh, @Haoyun, @superbored (tagging ppl who seemed to have applied to MSiA program)

1) Northwestern MSiA vs NYU DS

2) Northwestern MSiA vs U Chicago Master of Business Analytics 

Edited by mobytheggongnyang

1 hour ago, mobytheggongnyang said:

Hi all, I just got an offer from NW's MSiA program yesterday. This may be the 2nd or 3rd wave they sent out?  Super excited as this is a good program.

I have not yet made my mind between few of the programs. Would you guys enlighten me with your thoughts on the options below? Thank you!

@Scholarship, @swcb, @S_Ashleigh, @Haoyun, @superbored (tagging ppl who seemed to have applied to MSiA program)

Congratulations for the admit to NW! Could you please tell when had you applied round 1 or 2? Also, were you interviewed?

1 hour ago, david0217 said:

Can I ask where are you leaning towards against NYU? Are you thinking going to UPenn?

Yeah I'm leaning towards UPenn at the moment. I'm waiting back on Stanford MS CS. If I get in, I'll probably attend that program. 

@hellobello I'm most likely turning down NYU because I'm personally not a fan of night classes. I realize it's a pro for some but it doesn't fit my learning style and I'm concerned about being out at night in downtown. I also like Penn's curriculum better since it's more flexible and their cohort size is smaller. 

Edit: Also, another thing to note that it's a lot cheaper to live in Philadelphia than Manhattan.

Edited by carolbells

14 hours ago, mobytheggongnyang said:

@mobytheggongnyang Congratulation! I also got admitted to NW MSiA and if you do not care about the location, MSiA would be the best choice in perspective of job placement because of its small cohort size and thereby supportiveness of career development team (But if you want to get a job in finance field, New York would be better I guess). Again, congratulation for the amazing results! 

Edited by Scholarship

12 hours ago, hellobello said:

thanks for the information @plsgivemeanoffer and @carolbells. If you don't mind me asking, was your decision to pass more so because you received admission from a more reputable program or was it driven by issues you saw in the NYU curriculum/program/costs?

A bit of both. I don't really fancy night classes and I plan on going to a different program. 

Besides that, the NYU curriculum is great. 

On 3/12/2020 at 6:58 PM, mobytheggongnyang said:

Hey! Congratulations on the result. I also got accepted to the MSiA program recently (international student).

Since I didn't apply to NYU's program,  I can't comment on your first query.

However, I did apply to UChicago's MS Analytics program (results still awaited). To be honest, I think NW's program is better than UChicago's for a few reasons.

1) The most pertinent reason would be that classes in NW take place on campus, unlike in UChicago where classes take place in NBC Tower. Since I am an international student, I want my university experience to be as immersive as possible so NW clearly wins on that front. 

2) There just seems to be so much more data available for NW's program on the website. You can look at each student's resume and determine for yourself whether you'd be able to fit within the same classroom as them. Overall, the amount of information and level of transparency just lends more credibility to NW. 

3) Finally, NW strictly requires a GRE score whereas UChicago does not. That speaks volumes about the selectivity of both programs, in my opinion. If UChicago had a strong applicant pool to choose from, they would definitely not be relaxing the admissions requirement.

These are just my personal opinions, so do take them with a pinch of salt. I do firmly believe that both schools are phenomenal and you should consider yourself lucky to get admitted in either of the two. Let me know your opinions as well.

Oh and btw... Did you get any funding from NW?

18 hours ago, Coco.P said:

Hi all! Has anyone applied for the regular round of UPenn's MSE in Data Science received the application decision? 

Hi! Yes, I applied regular round for Penn and received a decision this past Friday. I believe they'll be releasing some decisions every Friday. 

On 3/14/2020 at 10:25 AM, SaltyNuts said:

Hey! Congratulations on the result. I also got accepted to the MSiA program recently (international student).

Since I didn't apply to NYU's program,  I can't comment on your first query.

However, I did apply to UChicago's MS Analytics program (results still awaited). To be honest, I think NW's program is better than UChicago's for a few reasons.

1) The most pertinent reason would be that classes in NW take place on campus, unlike in UChicago where classes take place in NBC Tower. Since I am an international student, I want my university experience to be as immersive as possible so NW clearly wins on that front. 

2) There just seems to be so much more data available for NW's program on the website. You can look at each student's resume and determine for yourself whether you'd be able to fit within the same classroom as them. Overall, the amount of information and level of transparency just lends more credibility to NW. 

3) Finally, NW strictly requires a GRE score whereas UChicago does not. That speaks volumes about the selectivity of both programs, in my opinion. If UChicago had a strong applicant pool to choose from, they would definitely not be relaxing the admissions requirement.

These are just my personal opinions, so do take them with a pinch of salt. I do firmly believe that both schools are phenomenal and you should consider yourself lucky to get admitted in either of the two. Let me know your opinions as well.

Oh and btw... Did you get any funding from NW?

Hey thank you for your opinion.  The second opinion kinda matches mine. Not much information about their graduates/ salaries. I don't actually care about having a campus experience to be honest. It's the outcome of the graduating classes that matter to me. 

I did not receive fundings either. I was told that there are no available fundings yet.

19 hours ago, david0217 said:

Any one just got waitlisted by Northwestern Analytics? Anyone know the rate of acceptance from the waitlist?

I did, from past results it seems unlikely to come off the waitlist

@mobytheggongnyang

I applied to both NYU MSDS (haven't heard anything so probably rejected) and NU MSiA (waitlisted). For me, I would pick NU mainly because I fit the profile better, it is 5 month shorter, and has an internship placement. NYU's program is also very good but they seems to have a higher bar for entry so I wasn't expecting anything being from a non-data science background. If NYU compressed their program into 12 month / 3 semesters instead of 20 month / 4 semesters while lowering the cost I might give it the edge. NYU also doesn't publish its employment numbers post grad. 

I didn't apply to Chicago's program because Business Analytics wasn't what I was interested in. However, I disagree with the other poster regarding the point about GRE. A lot of schools have been dropping the GRE requirement because it's limited in predicting success in graduate studies.