Fall 2020 Data Science/Analytics Master Applicant Thread

Got an admit from NYU. Wonder why they haven't sent out an email yet. 

How good is the program compared to UPenn's? I like how flexible UPenn's program is, but would like to receive any advice. Thanks! 

Edited by carolbells

1 hour ago, whiteshark243 said:

@doingthingshere Congratulations! How did you satisfy the pre-req (i.e. linear algebra, math and stats courses) and the academic letters? I struggled on that end when I applied  since I am out of school for a while now.

When I realized what I wanted to do with my life, I started fitting as many math/comp sci courses as possible. so I was able to reach the bare minimum prereqs thankfully

Hi all, I just got accepted into NYU Data Science too! The past few months have been so stressful; it's great to finally have an offer.

Would also love to hear some advice on how good the program is, so I can weigh up my options should other offers come in.

34 minutes ago, Do_EE said:

Hi all, I just got accepted into NYU Data Science too! The past few months have been so stressful; it's great to finally have an offer.

Would also love to hear some advice on how good the program is, so I can weigh up my options should other offers come in.

The NYU data science program is one of the best and would be a top choice for me. It also allows you to tailor it to your desires. The tracks offered give you such a wide range that I feel that you can't go wrong. 

However, the classes are offered in the evening (from what I recall) and NY's living costs is quite high. 

@plsgivemeanoffer That's very reassuring - thanks. The living costs and evening classes won't be a deal breaker for me.

I am envious of your Stanford offer though - was my dream school at the start of this process! Congrats! Are there any offers you would take over Stanford?

@hellobello Through the portal - it updated between refreshes. What a surprise!

Mine came through later than the others, so potentially yours may just be coming through.

3 hours ago, plsgivemeanoffer said:

I'm so relieved. I've received offers from MIT and NYU for data science. I've also received an offer from Stanford. Good luck to everyone still waiting. It's been a stressful journey and my stomach is still in knots even though I've heard back now.

what are you leaning towards?

6 hours ago, Do_EE said:

@plsgivemeanoffer That's very reassuring - thanks. The living costs and evening classes won't be a deal breaker for me.

I am envious of your Stanford offer though - was my dream school at the start of this process! Congrats! Are there any offers you would take over Stanford?

No worries! I was most worried about not receiving an offer from NYU aha. 

Thank you ?. I was initially leaning towards MIT as it looks more fun and the job prospects would be great after graduation. However, Stanford is also Stanford so now I'm in a right pickle. 

Plus both students and staff from both unis have started contacting me with info so I just feel overwhelmed.

Edited by plsgivemeanoffer

Hey!

I got accepted to the UPenn Data Science as well as the Washington Seattle Data Science Programs. 

I have just not been able to make a decision between the two.

Since a few of you are applying to these programs, It would be really helpful to get any advice. 

25 minutes ago, hellobello said:

hey guys! Just for an interview for Columbia MS in CS. Has anyone gone through the process and can shed some light on what's asked?

thanks in advance. 

Got one too and have the same question!

3 hours ago, sotos said:

Got one too and have the same question!

3 hours ago, hellobello said:

hey guys! Just for an interview for Columbia MS in CS. Has anyone gone through the process and can shed some light on what's asked?

thanks in advance. 

is it the one way interview?

Hi,

Has anyone who applied to Northwestern MSiA in round 2 (15-Jan-2020) been interviewed so far? Also, does everyone who gets an admit gets interviewed or there are admits w/o interviews as well?

Edited by zerotoone

On 3/6/2020 at 9:03 AM, Gha456 said:

Hey!

I got accepted to the UPenn Data Science as well as the UWash Seattle Data Science Programs. 

I have just not been able to make a decision between the two.

Since a few of you are applying to these programs, It would be really helpful to get any advice. 

I would also love to hear if anyone has any thoughts on the UW MSDS program (also the Harvard DS  Masters program).

@Gha456 @bostonorseattle

UW's program looks really basic to me. There's not much flexibility in taking elective courses and there's no advance math classes. 

Even though UPenn's program is newer,  it gives students the chance of pick certain focuses. Students can choose to go towards advanced math classes and develop proficiency in a domain such as biomedicine and social sciences.

If I had to choose between UW and UPenn, I'd choose UPenn.

Harvard's program is also new. It's curriculum also looks quite generic to me with nothing standing out. 

I would say that Harvard and UPenn are both stronger than UW, but it would be a tough call to choose between Harvard and UPenn. I like UPenn's flexible program more, but you can't really beat the Harvard name.

I'm personally leaning towards UPenn myself. 

Edited by carolbells

On 3/8/2020 at 10:20 PM, carolbells said:

@Gha456 @bostonorseattle

UW's program looks really basic to me. There's not much flexibility in taking elective courses and there's no advance math classes. 

Even though UPenn's program is newer,  it gives students the chance of pick certain focuses. Students can choose to go towards advanced math classes and develop proficiency in a domain such as biomedicine and social sciences.

If I had to choose between UW and UPenn, I'd choose UPenn.

Harvard's program is also new. It's curriculum also looks quite generic to me with nothing standing out. 

I would say that Harvard and UPenn are both stronger than UW, but it would be a tough call to choose between Harvard and UPenn. I like UPenn's flexible program more, but you can't really beat the Harvard name.

I'm personally leaning towards UPenn myself. 

What about USC MS CS (Data Science Track) and Columbia MS DS ?? How do they compare to UW, Upenn, Harvard and NYU-CDS