Fall 2020 Data Science/Analytics Master Applicant Thread

On 3/15/2020 at 3:21 PM, ToastyCookie said:

Hi! Yes, I applied regular round for Penn and received a decision this past Friday. I believe they'll be releasing some decisions every Friday. 

Many thanks for the information!

Columbia DS said they were going to start releasing decisions mid-March, but given the coronovirus outbreak, I expect results to be delayed

Edited by carolbells

I emailed an adviser I had spoken to at Columbia last week and she said they’re hoping to start sending out decisions this week. Like others have said that was before the coronavirus situation really got intense so it might be delayed.

Hi all, I was recently accepted to UC Berkeley's MA in Statistics and Columbia's Masters in Data Science. I was wondering which of the programs is generally more prestigious and would be a better choice to accept? I am interested in gaining more knowledge in statistics and data science. I'm not sure if I want to work as a data scientist or as an entrepreneur.

@streamblazer Congrats! Mind if I ask when you got your interview request? 

In response to your question, I'm personally a bit skeptical of UC Berkeley's program given that it's only a year long. A quality program probably should be at least 3 semesters. However, alumni of UC Berkeley's program seem to go to good places, so it's not a poor program. I personally would choose Columbia out of the two options given though.

Edited by carolbells

4 hours ago, david0217 said:

Any one has any suggestions between Columbia's DS program and NYU's DS program? Having a very hard time to make a decision now, and Columbia is asking us to make a decision by Mar. 25th....

How much is to be paid by Mar 25??? When did you interview??

Had I been in your place I would go for NYU DS as it is a 2 year course (Columbia is 1.5 year)  Nyu also offers specialization track and some amazing capstone with a lot of flexibility.   

13 minutes ago, ilovepenguins said:

Had I been in your place I would go for NYU DS as it is a 2 year course (Columbia is 1.5 year)  Nyu also offers specialization track and some amazing capstone with a lot of flexibility.   

@david0217 I agree with ilovepenguins.

Also, 7 days to make a decision?!? That's such a red flag to me.

28 minutes ago, ilovepenguins said:

The deposit for Columbia is $2,500. I interviewed March 3rd ish. I am still battling between Columbia and NYU since I heard that the last cohort of NYU DS does not have a very good placement for internships and jobs..... (although I maybe wrong and still need more data)

14 minutes ago, carolbells said:

@david0217 I agree with ilovepenguins.

Also, 7 days to make a decision?!? That's such a red flag to me.

I have heard that they will have a second round of acceptance following the first round acceptance deadline ends on the 25th. I think that is why they are only giving us one week to respond... Really anxious now:(

@david0217 My strategy would be to try to look NYU alums on Linkedin and see what they're up to now. That might help. 

When I did that I find that NYU alum seems to get more brand-name company jobs. I have also heard of @Guest123's note that Columbia seems to be a cash cow program. The fact that you have to put down such a large deposit and made a decision so quickly  for Columbia raises red flags for me. NYU's only asking for a $250 deposit and gives you a month to decide.

Edit: grammar

Edited by carolbells

3 minutes ago, carolbells said:

@david0217 My strategy would be to try to look NYU alums on Linkedin and see what they're up to now. That might help. 

When I did that I find that NYU alum seems to get more brand-name company jobs. I have also heard of @Guest123's note that Columbia seems to be a cash cow program. The fact that you have to put down such a large deposit and made a decision so quickly  for Columbia raises red flags for me. NYU's only asking for a $250 deposit and gives you a month to decide.

Edit: grammar

@carolbells Thank you so much for your suggestions!