Fall 2020 Data Science/Analytics Master Applicant Thread

On 2/14/2020 at 11:05 PM, jackw said:

Anyone applied to Harvard Chan's MS in Health Data Science? Did you hear back from them?

I received admission on 2/20 ☺️

Accepted

Harvard Chan MS Health Data Science

Pending

Harvard MS Data Science

Penn MSE Data Science

Columbia MS Data Science

Rejected

Stanford MS Statistics: Data Science

30 minutes ago, ToastyCookie said:

I received admission on 2/20 ☺️

Accepted

Harvard Chan MS Health Data Science

Pending

Harvard MS Data Science

Penn MSE Data Science

Columbia MS Data Science

Rejected

Thanks a lot!

For MIT MBAn program:

Anyone knows how many applicants out of the interview pool will be accepted? They are trying to fill 60 slots like last year, I think. Just by looking at Skype Interview invitations, there are probability more than 200 people, let alone onsite interviews. Anyone has the number from admissions?

Hi All, 

Accepted

Harvard Masters in Data Science

U Penn Masters in Data Science

Northwestern Masters in Analytics

Interviewing

MIT MBAn

Pending

CMU Masters in Computational Data Science

I am currently deciding between Harvard and Stanford's Masters in Data Science - if anyone has any opinions or information about either program, I am interested to know your thoughts! 

Thanks!!

On 2/23/2020 at 3:29 AM, david0217 said:

For MIT MBAn program:

Anyone knows how many applicants out of the interview pool will be accepted? They are trying to fill 60 slots like last year, I think. Just by looking at Skype Interview invitations, there are probability more than 200 people, let alone onsite interviews. Anyone has the number from admissions?

Hi! Just answering here as our thread is becoming a bit long. 

So what I’ve heard (and I’ve also benchmarked vs other programs at Sloan) is that the rate accepted to interviewed is 50%. So if you have been invited to interview it means that you have about 50% chances to be accepted. Now this is just a number I got from alumni / benchmarks on forums... So it’s just an estimation.. 
For the 200 interviews, I think you might be missing the fact that some interviewers are interviewing for other programs as well (MBA, MFin...) / and slots are just possibilities that are not always filled up. So this might be what is driving your numbers up. 
Again, this is just an estimation and they might have completely changed the process this year...  

5 hours ago, swcb said:

Hi All, 

Accepted

Harvard Masters in Data Science

U Penn Masters in Data Science

Northwestern Masters in Analytics

Interviewing

MIT MBAn

Pending

CMU Masters in Computational Data Science

I am currently deciding between Harvard and Stanford's Masters in Data Science - if anyone has any opinions or information about either program, I am interested to know your thoughts! 

Thanks!!

If I were you, I would choose MIT if I want to focus on job placement and I would choose Stanford if I want to learn from the curriculum in program.

If you don't mind, can you share us about your information cause your results are amazing.

19 hours ago, SarahSha said:

Hi! Just answering here as our thread is becoming a bit long. 

So what I’ve heard (and I’ve also benchmarked vs other programs at Sloan) is that the rate accepted to interviewed is 50%. So if you have been invited to interview it means that you have about 50% chances to be accepted. Now this is just a number I got from alumni / benchmarks on forums... So it’s just an estimation.. 
For the 200 interviews, I think you might be missing the fact that some interviewers are interviewing for other programs as well (MBA, MFin...) / and slots are just possibilities that are not always filled up. So this might be what is driving your numbers up. 
Again, this is just an estimation and they might have completely changed the process this year...  

Thank you for your response! It all makes a lot of sense now.

Hello everyone,

Accepted: 

Northwestern MSiA

Rejected:

University of Washington MSDS

Pending:

NYU MSDS

GA MS Analytics (Online)

UIUC MSCS - DS Track (Online)

Columbia MSDS - just received request to interview

I don't have much time before I have to decide on Northwestern, so I am wondering if interviewing at Columbia is worth doing at all. I wouldn't know my acceptance status until April. Given that I have no other acceptances at the moment, I may have to plead both schools for extensions/early decision or (more likely) I may have to accept NW now rather than risk losing my spot. 

I suppose this is not a terrible position to be in, considering NW has a strong program! If anyone has thoughts on this feel free to weigh in.

FYI for anyone who is interested in Northwestern! There was an interview process in January. They make the first-round of accepted students make their decisions in early March so that they can extend offers to a second-round of students in mid-March.

@Bulmicoa I'm not completely sure about who gets interviewed, but it looks like several others got an interview with Columbia about an hour ago. I haven't received anything myself.  ?

I read that there's some technical questions but I don't know the details

@S_Ashleigh Congrats on your acceptances! I didn't apply to Northwestern for personal reasons, but its program is quite strong. I would only choose Columbia because of its location in NYC but if that doesn't matter with you, Northwestern's a great program - class size of 40,  successful alums, etc.

edit: grammar

Edited by carolbells

45 minutes ago, Bulmicoa said:

@david0217 congratulations! I haven’t heard anything from them yet so I’m sure it’s a great sign that you have! Can I ask when did you submit your completed application by?

I submitted it on Feb. 13th. And congratulations on getting accepted by NW MSiA! I actually applied to MSiA on Dec. 1st but haven't received any results or invitation for interview. Can I ask when did you submit your app to NW and did you know when will be the last date for them to interview second round students and is interview necessary to get an acceptance? Thank you!

@whiteshark243 Yeap. I did my interview sometime in mid-Jan I believe and got the results end of January. I applied for early decision.

@Scholarship Thanks for the advice! Could I ask you to elaborate a bit more on why you feel MIT is the best place in terms of job placement? I hope to do a data science role at a tech company so that factor is weighing heavily in my decision. Thanks!!

Here's my background:

Undergrad: Mid-tier US university, 3.99/4.00 in Math and Economics

GRE: 169 (Q), 166 (V), 6 (A)

Worked for 2 years at an economic consulting firm, one published paper in a computational economics journal on theoretical econometrics, co-authored with a professor I did research for in my undergrad institution. And I did a summer REU at a top econ university in computational economics that helped me a lot in terms of programming experience. 

@swcb The reason I mention that MIT is best in terms of job placement is 1. supportiveness of department in career developing / 2. alumni network.

The first reason may come from nature of each department.. as you know, BA degree belonged to business school (sloan) and Data Science degree belonged to like engineering/statistics/cs normally. If you are not familiar with programming, it would be helpful to learn a lot from the curriculum in the program, but if the main decision factor for you is job placement and you already have competence in programming (In my opinion, programmers learn faster in self-studying than in off-line lecture.. so you don't have to go to computer science department to learn), I would recommend business school. As I heard from the alumni of sloan mba (not mban alum, but still sloan...), career team in sloan is eager to connect students to top companies and also the number of sloan alumni in field is considerable.

I'm not sure my sentences are correct cause my mother tongue is not english.. Congratulation for your fantastic result! Good luck in the future :)

Is there anyone here who applied to Northwestern during the regular deadline and also got an invitation to interview? I'm really not liking my chances if an interview is essentially a requirement for getting in haha.

Also has anyone heard back from :-

GTech Analytics(On-Campus)

NYU Data Science

Thanks in advance!