Applying to NPSIA - MUNK - Fall 2020

• Boudibou123 changed the title to Applying to NPSIA - MUNK - Fall 2020

Sure!

I’m a lawyer (so law graduate) with about 1 year of work experience in my field. My old GPA is somewhere around 3.7-3.8. Bilingual with a few international experiences (ngos, schools). What about you?

Also, do you know around what time we can expect an answer from the school?

15 hours ago, Boudibou123 said:

Sure!

I’m a lawyer (so law graduate) with about 1 year of work experience in my field. My old GPA is somewhere around 3.7-3.8. Bilingual with a few international experiences (ngos, schools). What about you?

My cGPA is 3.77/4, last two years is 3.88/4. Double major in poli sci and French. I don’t have a ton of international experience, which is what scares me. I have a lot of extraCurriculars though, and some decent work experience. I’ve worked for the AB gov, the legislative assembly office, and then this past year I was Student Union President. I feel fairly comfortable with my personal statement, if that’s even possible haha. 

16 hours ago, Boudibou123 said:

Sure!

I think we’ll hear back in March, if it stays similar to other years.

4 hours ago, Boudibou123 said:

From what I understand from looking at previous forums, NPSIA tends to give a lot of funding for the studies, whereas Munk is not very generous on that matter, especially since their tuition fees are so high.

I heard NPSIA is fair. NPSIA is the only place I’m applying, so I don’t know much about Munk.

1 hour ago, theGoodGhosts said:

Hey folks! Fellow NPSIA applicant here, just wrapping up my application this weekend (and still waiting on transcripts from one of my old schools with baited breath).

The transcript wait is hard! I had to wait for my AP transcripts for about 6 weeks after I mailed out the request. I’m very nervous now that the deadline is so close!

3 hours ago, Boudibou123 said:

Hey @snowflake96,

I’m curious as to what made you chose GPSIA over NPSIA or Munk?

In all honesty Munk was my first choice but looking back I realize that I made the right choice going to GSPIA instead. Not only were the fees extremely high going to Munk, I couldn't really find solid information on the job prospects upon graduating, and whether alumni from the Munk program managed to get solid jobs out of it. But it was mostly the cost of the program, and I didn't want to go 50,000+ in debt for a 2 years masters program. With GSPIA, there's more international opportunities for a cheaper cost. We get matched with a senior fellow at the beginning of the year which is usually someone that works in diplomacy or international affairs. Several of the senior fellows have been correspondents in DC or worked on missions with the UN. Although we're matched with a senior fellow, we can always talk to the other fellows if their career interests you and you have questions about different opportunities, career advice etc. My program has an embassy internship program where students can intern at an embassy abroad in the summer, fall, or winter months. Some of these positions include working the Permanent Mission if Canada to the UN in New York or working with NATO in Brussels, as well as other embassies in Asia, Europe, and Latin America.

We also have a coop program. The majority of people end up getting coops with the federal government but there are some people that get coops with international organizations.  NPSIA is a reputable program but it didn't really intrigue me as much as GSPIA or Munk. I do find the fact that you can specialize in different areas interesting though. I would say based on my research I found that most people that graduated from NPSIA or GSPIA got jobs in international affairs/policy, while I couldn't really find that information for Munk although I'm sure the program is excellent. I guess my greatest advice to those applying this application season is to focus less on the title and prestige of the school - although that can be important too, and more on what you desire to get out of the program itself and the experiences and opportunities that would be awarded to you. Most employers focus on the skills and experience you have rather than just simply the name of the school you went to.

If anyone else wants to know about applying to these programs and my experience so far, feel free to reply or PM me!

Edited by snowflake96

On 1/21/2020 at 3:47 PM, snowflake96 said:

In all honesty Munk was my first choice but looking back I realize that I made the right choice going to GSPIA instead. Not only were the fees extremely high going to Munk, I couldn't really find solid information on the job prospects upon graduating, and whether alumni from the Munk program managed to get solid jobs out of it.

My downstairs neighbour went to Munk and works at GAC now, FWIW. 

I'm already fairly settled in Ottawa (government job, my partner works at a law firm, etc) so Munk was never really on my radar, but the cost definitely put me right off (you can go to Cambridge for that kind of cash).

On 1/23/2020 at 7:01 PM, theGoodGhosts said:

My downstairs neighbour went to Munk and works at GAC now, FWIW. 

I'm already fairly settled in Ottawa (government job, my partner works at a law firm, etc) so Munk was never really on my radar, but the cost definitely put me right off (you can go to Cambridge for that kind of cash).

I have no doubt it's a good program, but I don't see the point in paying 50k. If you are interested in international affairs Ottawa is definitely the place to be due to the endless events and opportunities here - government and non government included.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 11:31 PM, snowflake96 said:

I have no doubt it's a good program, but I don't see the point in paying 50k. If you are interested in international affairs Ottawa is definitely the place to be due to the endless events and opportunities here - government and non government included.

Oh for sure. It's an order of magnitude more expensive than most Canadian programs (to the point that an extra ~$8k/year gets you into LSE), and the mandatory internship (which tacks on $5k-$7k) doesn't make sense for me, considering I already work in government. Carleton's tuition and funding package make it a much more attractive prospect, and remaining in Ottawa means I'd be able to drop down to part-time and keep my job while going to school.

In other news, my NPSIA application is in, my referees have submitted their letters, all that's left is the wait.

On 1/30/2020 at 5:36 AM, Boudibou123 said:

Do you guys all have your ECON (micro/macro) requirements?

I think so? I took an intro to micro course and an intro to macro course and received the required grades. I heard there may be some trouble because my undergrad isn’t from Ontario, but I’m not sure. 

8 hours ago, Anoushka234 said:

Hey!

I am an international applicant for NPSIA. Does anyone have an idea if they let international students know at the same time/ after domestic students are admitted? Freaking out already!

Hey! I’m already freaking out, too! No worries there haha. I just looked on the website and it says that international students find out end of March- so a little later, but I hope that helps!

joining in on this thread....uploaded the rest of my docs on january 31 and just nervous about the wait now (I'm a domestic applicant).

i've already graduated and all my grades were confirmed. i wonder if people ever hear back before march.

On 2/1/2020 at 8:28 PM, irnerd said:

joining in on this thread....uploaded the rest of my docs on january 31 and just nervous about the wait now (I'm a domestic applicant).

i've already graduated and all my grades were confirmed. i wonder if people ever hear back before march.

Hey, welcome to the wait! I was going through the forums for admissions for 2018/2019, and some people did find out end of February! There may be some hope for us yet haha.

thanks for the update! so good to know. im hoping us already having received our undergrad degree might help speed the process up :) 

personally felt like my personal statement was mediocre so im a bit nervous, but i had good grades in undergrad + great references and cv, which im hoping makes up for it. best of luck to us all haha

1 hour ago, irnerd said:

thanks for the update! so good to know. im hoping us already having received our undergrad degree might help speed the process up :) 

personally felt like my personal statement was mediocre so im a bit nervous, but i had good grades in undergrad + great references and cv, which im hoping makes up for it. best of luck to us all haha

Right there with you. I'm worried my statement of intent is the weak link in my application. Grades and references I'm not worried about, but I wasn't 100% sure on whether I was going the right way with the statement.

Good luck!