Applying to NPSIA - MUNK - Fall 2020

2 hours ago, Hawkmoon said:

What streams was everyone looking at getting into?  I'm hoping for the Intelligence/IA or Security and Defence Policy streams.  

Intelligence was my first choice, second choice was conflict analysis.

To be honest, I actually think I'd prefer my second choice at this point. I thought studying the intelligence stream would be interesting, but when I think of potential topics for a research essay, my mind goes straight to conflict and its inter-generational effects on economic prosperity, health and ultimate state survival.

2 minutes ago, ah_097 said:

Intelligence was my first choice, second choice was conflict analysis.

To be honest, I actually think I'd prefer my second choice at this point. I thought studying the intelligence stream would be interesting, but when I think of potential topics for a research essay, my mind goes straight to conflict and its inter-generational effects on economic prosperity, health and ultimate state survival.

I'm the same when it comes to Intell and IA.   I'm looking at doing something with Transnational Organized Crime and National Security/Intelligence  as a research paper. 

1 hour ago, martlets said:

just got into gspia with funding (6,000/year)! didn't get an email, just checked the portal and status had changed from "under evaluation" to "admitted"

Excellent!  Congrats!

Any idea when NPSIA will send out first round acceptances?  Based on the last few years' forums, it seems like it can be anytime between Feb 27 to March 15. The only reason i ask (beyonds being anxious) is that I already received an offer from GSPIA and have been granted two extensions, however, i doubt i could ask a third time without pissing them off..

Fingers crossed we all get some good news in the next 2-3 weeks!

1 hour ago, KW77 said:

Any idea when NPSIA will send out first round acceptances?  Based on the last few years' forums, it seems like it can be anytime between Feb 27 to March 15. The only reason i ask (beyonds being anxious) is that I already received an offer from GSPIA and have been granted two extensions, however, i doubt i could ask a third time without pissing them off..

i think some people heard as early as feb 23 according to some of the forums; but im sure we'll know by early march, if not by the end of feb if the regular updates to my application are anything to go by. congrats on gpsia btw! it also seems like an incredible program with amazing profs like roland paris and pretty unique co-op opportunities.

only reason i didnt apply for gpsia myself was the french requirement. im sure if you got into gspia, you'll have no issue getting into npsia :) 

Edited by irnerd

2 hours ago, irnerd said:

i think some people heard as early as feb 23 according to some of the forums; but im sure we'll know by early march, if not by the end of feb if the regular updates to my application are anything to go by. congrats on gpsia btw! it also seems like an incredible program with amazing profs like roland paris and pretty unique co-op opportunities.

only reason i didnt apply for gpsia myself was the french requirement. im sure if you got into gspia, you'll have no issue getting into npsia :) 

Thanks for the info! I didn't realize some people in previous years heard back as early as Feb 23, that's encouraging to know.  I agree GPSIA sounds awesome overall and certainly has great profs and coop opportunities, but personally, I've had my heart set on NPSIA for a couple years now so i'd be prepared to turn down UOttawa if time runs out. The french requirement is definitely a little daunting to say the least; its one thing to take an intro language course and just get a B, its a whole different scenario to take a course at a masters level in french, especially at a school known for pushing bilingualism hard. You have any preferences for Coop placements so far? (federal/provincial gov't vs NGO's/IO's)

5 hours ago, KW77 said:

I also ran into this issue. I got accepted into the MSc Conflict Studies program at the London School of Economics. They need me to reply whether I will be taking up my place or not soon. I emailed Carleton about what I should do and they said:

"Applicants considered in the first round of offers will hear back in early March. This said, obviously this timeline may extend if your application is not considered until the second round. In situations like this I recommend accepting your alternative offer, and should you later receive something from NPSIA and wish to change you can at that time."

51 minutes ago, ah_097 said:

I also ran into this issue. I got accepted into the MSc Conflict Studies program at the London School of Economics. They need me to reply whether I will be taking up my place or not soon. I emailed Carleton about what I should do and they said:

"Applicants considered in the first round of offers will hear back in early March. This said, obviously this timeline may extend if your application is not considered until the second round. In situations like this I recommend accepting your alternative offer, and should you later receive something from NPSIA and wish to change you can at that time."

Thanks for posting this, it atleast gives us some clarity around when they expect to start notifying students in the first few rounds. I'm also in the same position for LSE as well (MSc International Relations program), but I have a few months to confirm or decline so I can afford to wait it out unlike GSPIA. I hate the idea of rescinding an offer i previously accepted, but unfortunately these programs don't really give you the option to do anything but that.

Edited by KW77

you got into the MSC for International Relations at LSE? Congrats!! I've applied myself and waiting to hear back (LSE is my first choice personally because London's like a second home). I applied in January and still have a brutally long wait to go before I've reached the standard 8 weeks to hear back from us for an offer/rejection. mind if i message you directly? 

also if i got in and went to npsia, definitely leaning towards the federal government. did a few summers working in different department and find public service work enjoyable. the dream would be to work at GAC in particular. how about you?

Edited by irnerd

11 hours ago, irnerd said:

you got into the MSC for International Relations at LSE? Congrats!! I've applied myself and waiting to hear back (LSE is my first choice personally because London's like a second home). I applied in January and still have a brutally long wait to go before I've reached the standard 8 weeks to hear back from us for an offer/rejection. mind if i message you directly? 

also if i got in and went to npsia, definitely leaning towards the federal government. did a few summers working in different department and find public service work enjoyable. the dream would be to work at GAC in particular. how about you?

Thanks! I agree London is amazing and I have lived in the U.K. for a year previously on exchange during my undergrad so LSE would be sweet, the only thing that holds me back is the cost really, hard to justify going if i can go to a great Canadian school for next to nothing (excluding Munk). For sure send me a message, I'm always eager to talk this stuff out with people!

Federal government is also my preference if i get into NPSIA, i haven't directly worked in the public service, but i've worked for hospitals and universities and have volunteered at international events like the Pan Am games and Olympics so hopefully that helps. GAC would be awesome for sure but for personally, my top department choice would probably be PS or DND but i would be happy to work in any area of the gov't.

Accepted to LSE??   NICE!    I was seriously considering  the Masters in International Security Studies however NPSIA was the only programme I applied for.  I don't think my wife would let me go to the Czech Republic for two years without her even tho funding is pretty generous in most European countries...  lol

BTW there is a lot of good info regarding NPSIA and Carleton in general on the /r/CarletonU reddit site.  From what I'm reading it looks like GAC is ok for a co-op but don't expect to get on there full time...    

On 2/18/2020 at 3:14 PM, Endzone98 said:

For the exchange program tho also look at the fact that many students if not the bare majority prefer to work for government in Canada or other public service jobs. i don't know how big the class will be at GSPIA, but you will have a fair chance for sure at your dream international internship for sure! Also, getting into any of these three grad schools is a big stepping stone into the international sphere! I am sure you will make the right choice my friend!

Thanks for your advice! It makes sense. 

Do you know if international internships on a graduate level serve as a good bridge to international work?  I completed an international internship as an undergrad and so far it has been good for my resume but it hasn't been any easier to find the kind of work I want 

I was also speaking to someone who said International work is very difficult to land as a graduate student without experience, and who was encouraging me to go to NPSIA instead (since 90% of NPSIA grads land public service jobs after, and public service is apparently a good avenue towards international work).  They framed as a stability vs. adventurousness sort of thing. It was a very pessimistic tone, and I'm not sure if I should buy into it, but I guess that's also something I'll have to consider 

12 minutes ago, Potter445 said:

Does anyone know how the full-term microeconomics and macroeconomics courses compare to the remedial courses over the summer in terms of cost and work load?

Can't answer for fall/winter classes, but I took the 1.0 credit ECON 1000 class (which has since been split into the 0.5 credit ECON 1001 and 1002) a couple summers ago while working full time and doing other classes. It was super easy.