Applying to NPSIA - MUNK - Fall 2020

glad to know its not just me :)

yeah i didnt wanna make my statement too long since they indicated they only wanted 1-2 pages; i ended up with 1 and a bit pages, single space. mainly just talking about issues i was interested in and relating it to the professors whose work i thought was intriguing/how i'd be able to actually learn about them at npsia. didn't go into my life story much.

gosh, i know the wait isnt that long...but its gonna feel like forever lol. good luck to you as well!!

I completely agree with both of you. I feel like my references were top, as was my CV, but you never know how they’ll take the statement. I’m not concerned by my last two year GPA, but my cGPA worries me slightly. I feel like this wait is killing me! Good luck to you both!

My situation is a little weird. I went to a different university from 2005-2007 and dropped out with abysmal grades, so I had to devote a big chunk of real estate in my statement to explaining what's changed between then and now. Really hoping they don't give too much weight to the GPA from my previous attempt at a degree 15 years ago (roughly a D+... yikes), and really just focus on my past few years at Carleton.

Edited by theGoodGhosts

11 hours ago, Tobybyby said:

Not sure if anyone else applied to GSPIA, but I got an offer from them on January 15th (which is oddly early, right?) Haven’t heard anything from Carleton though! Wonder if other schools will be earlier this year or if it was just uOttawa?

Wow, that does seem really early. But congrats!

I think NPSIA typically starts to send out offers in mid-to-late February for domestic students, and it can go well into March.

On 2/4/2020 at 8:51 PM, Lb1196 said:

I completely agree with both of you. I feel like my references were top, as was my CV, but you never know how they’ll take the statement. I’m not concerned by my last two year GPA, but my cGPA worries me slightly. I feel like this wait is killing me! Good luck to you both!

Me too! I really hope they weight the last two years more than the overall! hope everyone the best ?

On 2/6/2020 at 9:51 PM, Tobybyby said:

Not sure if anyone else applied to GSPIA, but I got an offer from them on January 15th (which is oddly early, right?) Haven’t heard anything from Carleton though! Wonder if other schools will be earlier this year or if it was just uOttawa?

Congrats! I applied to GSPIA as well! hoping for some good news soon, cause the stress gonna kill me man 

1 hour ago, Endzone98 said:

Me too! I really hope they weight the last two years more than the overall! hope everyone the best ?

I’m so stressed it’s killing me. I just keep hoping that I’ll have an answer within a month hahaha.

On 2/6/2020 at 10:51 PM, Tobybyby said:

when did you apply?

59 minutes ago, Boudibou123 said:

NPSIA admission status just changed to 'recommended for assessment'.

things are moving!

Congrats! Welcome to the next part of the wait. I've been stuck at "recommended for assessment" since the 5th, and I'm getting really antsy.

I'm curious as to whether @Lb1196's application has progressed, or if they're still at the same point in the process.

46 minutes ago, theGoodGhosts said:

Congrats! Welcome to the next part of the wait. I've been stuck at "recommended for assessment" since the 5th, and I'm getting really antsy.

I'm curious as to whether @Lb1196's application has progressed, or if they're still at the same point in the process.

Hey! I’ve been at “recommended for assessment” since the middle of January. I’m hoping to see movement soon, but I know some people got accepted last year at the same status..so just hoping for a miracle haha. 

On 1/28/2020 at 12:54 PM, theGoodGhosts said:

"Oh for sure. It's an order of magnitude more expensive than most Canadian programs (to the point that an extra ~$8k/year gets you into LSE), and the mandatory internship (which tacks on $5k-$7k) doesn't make sense for me, considering I already work in government. Carleton's tuition and funding package make it a much more attractive prospect, and remaining in Ottawa means I'd be able to drop down to part-time and keep my job while going to school."

This is what basically did it for me.  Everyone I've spoken with said NPSIA really was the way to go for the Intelligence/ Security Defense Policy steam that I want and they are much more generous with the funding than Munk.  (plus I really didn't want to move back to Toronto)... 

Also " recommended for assessment" .  Even tho I have "life experience....which just means I'm old...  lol"  I'm still quite nervous and this waiting is killing me.   I think my SOI was not as strong as it should have been and should have rewritten it but it is what it is now. 

Anyway good luck to everyone. 

Ben

my status has changed to review in progress by the department - i was hoping the process might be faster given that i've completed my degree already, but im so nervous about now apparently being close to hearing about whether i'll be rejected or accepted...

Edited by irnerd

1 hour ago, irnerd said:

my status has changed to review in progress by the department - i was hoping the process might be faster given that i've completed my degree already, but im so nervous about now apparently being close to hearing about whether i'll be rejected or accepted...

Wow, the movement is great. I’m envious haha. On forums from past years I’ve seen as early as Feb 23 for first round, so I’m more than slightly terrified it will be coming up rapidly here. Can I ask how for long you were “recommended for assessment”?

23 minutes ago, Lb1196 said:

Wow, the movement is great. I’m envious haha. On forums from past years I’ve seen as early as Feb 23 for first round, so I’m more than slightly terrified it will be coming up rapidly here. Can I ask how for long you were “recommended for assessment”?

i completed my application jan 31 and whenever i logged in through carleton 360, it showed up as "preliminary review required.' however, i actually just clicked into my application via Carleton central admissions and noticed that the status of my application had actually changed to review in progress by the department.

cause of the discrepancy between the two pages, i didn't know when i was recommended for assessment. i dont know if i'd take this as a good sign though - plus ive read some peoples status didnt change right till they got accepted so nothing to worry about :) the system seems a bit glitchy

id also recommend actually going into carleton central rather than relying on the first page when you log in; i believe it said on the site completed apps will be reviewed starting feb 15, although no date was given for when admission decisions would be sent out

Edited by irnerd

8 hours ago, Endzone98 said:

Hey all! I got into GSPIA just a few days ago as well! I didn't receive any funding info which is odd, but wanted to know what the pros and cons of both schools were (GSPIA vs Munk)?

Congrats!

13 hours ago, Endzone98 said:

Hey all! I got into GSPIA just a few days ago as well! I didn't receive any funding info which is odd, but wanted to know what the pros and cons of both schools were (GSPIA vs Munk)?

hey! i also applied to GSPIA but haven't heard back yet - when did you apply?

8 hours ago, Hawkmoon said:

Congrats!

Thanks!

3 hours ago, martlets said:

hey! i also applied to GSPIA but haven't heard back yet - when did you apply?

Hey, I sent my main application out quite early, but the transcripts, letter of reference and letter of intent was not fully submitted until a few days before the deadline! so i guess my full application wasn't done till a few days before! I'm not sure if this is considered early? Also did not receive any scholarship info so it could be they are rolling out stuff on the fly? Hope you hear back soon tho with good news!

Have you applied to any other schools btw?

4 hours ago, Endzone98 said:

Thanks!

Hey, I sent my main application out quite early, but the transcripts, letter of reference and letter of intent was not fully submitted until a few days before the deadline! so i guess my full application wasn't done till a few days before! I'm not sure if this is considered early? Also did not receive any scholarship info so it could be they are rolling out stuff on the fly? Hope you hear back soon tho with good news!

Have you applied to any other schools btw?

do you remember how long your file was "under evaluation" for gpsia? and congrats btw!

i also applied to npsia! hopefully will hear back soon from both schools 

4 minutes ago, martlets said:

do you remember how long your file was "under evaluation" for gpsia? and congrats btw!

i also applied to npsia! hopefully will hear back soon from both schools 

Thank You! I believe around 16 days or so! I heard some people got accepted much earlier as well tho! Hopefully everyone hears back soon!