Applying to NPSIA - MUNK - Fall 2020

4 hours ago, markenneman said:

Anyone know the acceptance rates of GSPIA and NPSIA? Figure the latter is a tad lower, but could be wrong. 

I would agree to that statement. Just because the size of applicants to NPSIA is a bit larger. However, I do know that GSPIA has been on the rise for a few years now and has been just as attractive to people looking to streamline into the international sphere

Got into GSPIA today! Which was awesome but does anyone know the specifics of the French requirement? Like can we write our assignments and exams in English for that one course we would have to take in french? Also it says we have to know passive french to get in but I never talked about my very rudimentary french as far as I remember so I'm confused about that.

2 hours ago, Lb1196 said:

Mine also just changed! The heavy breathing is definitely happening over here too. ?

Just an update, my carleton central now has my “specialization” listed on it. I’m curious if it did that for any of you? 

3 minutes ago, MA_more_like_no_way said:

Got into GSPIA today! Which was awesome but does anyone know the specifics of the French requirement? Like can we write our assignments and exams in English for that one course we would have to take in french? Also it says we have to know passive french to get in but I never talked about my very rudimentary french as far as I remember so I'm confused about that.

Congrats! I honestly don’t know much about the French requirement, but I remember hearing that everything has to be written in French in submission for the French class.

4 minutes ago, martlets said:

got an email earlier today from the MA Program Supervisor at NPSIA telling me that I was admitted with a scholarship, TAship, and RAship! on Carleton Central, i am still "in review by the department" and my specialization is now listed. i am assuming that first round offers should go out tomorrow or next week! 

YO! Congrats!

Which specialization did you go with?

Also, I'm assuming that's good news for @Lb1196, too, given their most recent update.

1 hour ago, MA_more_like_no_way said:

Congrats! I might see ya there!

1 hour ago, Lb1196 said:

Just an update, my carleton central now has my “specialization” listed on it. I’m curious if it did that for any of you? 

Congrats! I honestly don’t know much about the French requirement, but I remember hearing that everything has to be written in French in submission for the French class.

My specialization is now listed too ?

42 minutes ago, martlets said:

got an email earlier today from the MA Program Supervisor at NPSIA telling me that I was admitted with a scholarship, TAship, and RAship! on Carleton Central, i am still "in review by the department" and my specialization is now listed. i am assuming that first round offers should go out tomorrow or next week! 

Ok, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Now I’m panicking hardcore about getting an email hahaha ?? Forgive me feel forgetting, but are you a current Carleton student? 

38 minutes ago, theGoodGhosts said:

YO! Congrats!

Which specialization did you go with?

Also, I'm assuming that's good news for @Lb1196, too, given their most recent update.

Let’s hope it’s good news!! I’m very ready to find out ! ? I can’t wait to not be nervous anymore. 

17 minutes ago, Lb1196 said:

Ok, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Now I’m panicking hardcore about getting an email hahaha ?? Forgive me feel forgetting, but are you a current Carleton student? 

Let’s hope it’s good news!! I’m very ready to find out ! ? I can’t wait to not be nervous anymore. 

nope, i am in my last semester of undergrad at mcgill!

1 hour ago, Endzone98 said:

Anyone got their eyes set on Munk? 

im personally leaning towards npsia if i get in (great program at a more affordable cost, but if you want any info on munk, i did my undergrad with a program affiliated with the school and pretty much everyone i know has the done the mga lol. 

Edited by irnerd

51 minutes ago, irnerd said:

im personally leaning towards npsia if i get in (great program at a more affordable cost, but if you want any info on munk, i did my undergrad with a program affiliated with the school and pretty much everyone i know has the done the mga lol. 

Yea I'd love some info! I got into GSPIA and i'm on the fence about whether or not Munk is worth it (cost etc). Beside the reputation, how does the MGA compare overall with other schools in Canada. Is it better than GSPIA and NPSIA? Or is there even a "better program" lol? 

13 minutes ago, Endzone98 said:

Yea I'd love some info! I got into GSPIA and i'm on the fence about whether or not Munk is worth it (cost etc). Beside the reputation, how does the MGA compare overall with other schools in Canada. Is it better than GSPIA and NPSIA? Or is there even a "better program" lol? 

I think it really depends what you want out of the program. The MGA is incredibly expensive with very limited financial support, however u of t is the best school in the country by far and there is a lot of name recognition. the professors at u of t are leading experts  and i think the program also provides more flexibility in terms of whether you want to work in the private or public sector (I know several MGAs working in Ottawa as well as many others at deloitte, consulting agencies and so forth).

Having also attend u of t, I found there are a lot of academic enrichment opportunities too (fully funded research trips,  conferences with prominent scholars, etc). 

I think for public sector orientated people, npsia still slightly ends ahead of gpsia (although gpsia seems to have a fantastic internship/Co op program). And it's also obviously better than u of t in this respect too

I guess the one down side of npsia/gpsia though is also it's strength - it's more suited for people who want to work in the government. Happy to answer any more questions ? if money wasn't an issue for me I think the MGA wouldve been very appealing 

Edited by irnerd

hey everonye, does anyone have any opinions between the SIDGS and GSPIA program at uOttawa? The only thing that's stopping me from accepting GSPIA really is the mandatory MRP. I still can't really figure out how the two differ aside from rep maybe ..?

Hey evryone, I got into the GSPIA with funding and MIPP in BSIA.

The only thing that concerns me about GSPIA is that there is the French component; where we have to take a course in French. Do you guys have any insight on how much French we need to know for it. Do you know if they provide the aid of some form.

Edited by ElleG

Also they are already  sending acceptences to NPSIA and mine is still stuck in "Preliminary review required" even thoughI submitted everything before Jan31. Anyone in the same boat?

7 minutes ago, ElleG said:

Also they are already  sending acceptences to NPSIA and mine is still stuck in "Preliminary review required" even thoughI submitted everything before Jan31. Anyone in the same boat?

Is that on Carleton360, or in Carleton Central? Mine still says "Preliminary Review Required" on Carleton360, but when I go into Carleton Central, it shows "review in progress by department"