'20 EAS | EALC | EALAC (PLEASE COME IN!!)

Hey folks,

Seems nobody opens the '20 EAS topic - hah, let me be the beginner!!
If you have also applied for the similar discipline(s), have a shout and support each other!
Studying postgrad isn't an easy decision - that's why I open this topic hahahaha~

----------------

Anyway, a short bio about me - gimme some time to say: (not for solicitation!! Apology~)

This is Christian from HK. I've applied for my second MA in East Asian Studies, the following 2 are the "uniss" that I've applied:

1) The University of Alberta (Edmonton >>> not "Deadmonton") - with the RP topic regarding Derivative Music in Hong Kong (very new topic!!)
2) The University of Toronto (Toronto) - with the RP topic regarding Premodern Literature (Six Dynasties)

Yes, I am mainly focus on Canada... because I did not have enough time to prepare for my IELTS and GRE! (Plus I completed my first MA at the CityU, both universities exempt the demonstration of the English proficiency... ahhhhha~~)

With GPA 3.14, Christian will be turned down by UToronto (120% sure) but Christian still wanna try! Christian may also be turned down by UAlberta too!
Because Christian knows his research interests, and what he wants to pursue in these 2 years clearly, (perhaps his research proposal for 5-6 pages, and SoP (fulfilled the general requirement) can demonstrate how much he wants to study? hahaha)

Err... work experience, serving at the Chinese University as a Project Coordinator, coordinating editing matters... yes, I am helping my boss to edit a book about NLP (google it by yourself) and eLearning! Christian did also teach at the university in Canada during his working holiday time!... the course was about Chinese etymology.

Christian did also contact the PoI ("professor of interests")... still not sure if he could enroll in the programme successfully...

A hiccup for Christian is that he is too worried!!
What does he need? YOUR SUPPORT!!! hahahaha

Serious: how much chance could I enroll to the UAlberta? Any past experience? Anyone can share your experience?

Research interests: (if we have similarities, write me, reply this topic, and we can share!!)
Hong Kong Studies, Premodern literature (esp. Six dynasties), Sinophone Literature, Sinitic languages and linguistics.

Languages:
Cantonese, English, Mandarin, Hokkien (they are all "from fluent to native")
some Teochew, some Finnish, and some French!! 

"Sorry for 1999" <<<< the typical Cantonese slang means "sorry for explaining with unclear words..." (bad translation)
Honestly, at the moment, I feel calm and released after sharing this... If you stay at the end, thanks a lot for listening to me! 
As I've written at the beginning, this role has never been easy! Hope we could support each other!!

NICE MEETING YOU ALL~

I'm in the EAS MA program at UofT right now. They don't need IELTS but they do need TOEFL. And you'll want to cut your research proposal down, UofT gives you 500 words (a good time to work on being concise in your writing haha). If you have any other questions about the program you can PM me!

edit: The advice one of my LOR writers gave me for the statement of purpose was, with only 500 words, absolutely no fluff. Get straight to the point. 

Edited by laine

Hi Christian, I am from Hong Kong as well. Good to know that you are applying for EALC-related programs. 

I am applying for PhD in EALC in different schools this year. My focus is in pre-modern Korean history, which is more of a rare field I guess. Anyways, I am also nervously waiting for results back. 

Canadian schools are great for Asian studies. You may also want to look into UCLA? I heard they have just started a Hong Kong Studies Program (the first in American academia!). Also, I am glad to know that someone is doing Hong Kong-related matter because we have a city to save. 

Hi Christian, I hope you hear some good news soon! UBC also has a Hong Kong Studies initiative and there have been some exciting events going on. UAlberta's MA program is pretty great because their students are generally well-funded, plus it is an MA-only program so you'd probably get more faculty attention. I am less familiar with U of T and not sure if anyone there is interested in Hong Kong or Sinophone studies. Best of luck! 

On 1/14/2020 at 2:43 AM, idoitchicagostyle said:

Hi Christian, I am from Hong Kong as well. Good to know that you are applying for EALC-related programs. 

I am applying for PhD in EALC in different schools this year. My focus is in pre-modern Korean history, which is more of a rare field I guess. Anyways, I am also nervously waiting for results back. 

Canadian schools are great for Asian studies. You may also want to look into UCLA? I heard they have just started a Hong Kong Studies Program (the first in American academia!). Also, I am glad to know that someone is doing Hong Kong-related matter because we have a city to save. 

hey sorry for the late reply due to departmental conference for 350.

Thanks for your info. That's neat :)
I applied for Uppsala PhD (Sinology) last year but it was not successful, the chance was given to the local Swedish. Anyway, finger-cross~

By the way, I feel the same that Canadian schools are good fits for me. I will check out UCLA later for PhD perhaps? hehe
I think this is one of the ways to share the values of Hong Kong!!

On 1/13/2020 at 10:25 PM, laine said:

I'm in the EAS MA program at UofT right now. They don't need IELTS but they do need TOEFL. And you'll want to cut your research proposal down, UofT gives you 500 words (a good time to work on being concise in your writing haha). If you have any other questions about the program you can PM me!

edit: The advice one of my LOR writers gave me for the statement of purpose was, with only 500 words, absolutely no fluff. Get straight to the point. 

haha thanks for your info - I have submitted an extra SoP + Research Proposal.
I guess I wrote around 2000 words but I can confirm what I would want to pursue in these 1-2 years, so I prepared for a long research proposal hahaha (amyway I am very sure I won't be accepted by UToronto because of my GPA...) I also did find my PoI but he gonna be unavailable with sabbatical leave.

On 1/17/2020 at 2:35 AM, nnchay said:

Oh my research focuses on HK (at least for now). Currently at USC for my masters and applied to a few cultural/ethnic studies programs, in addition to visual studies and art history (I focus on political visual culture and contemporary art). Not EALC/EALAC, but its really interesting to hear that UCLA has a program. 

Oh yeah glad to hear that. happy for you that you enroled in USC :D
I find Hong Kong Studies is an interesting topic. The cross-culture has many things to explore! Please feel free to share. I am addicted to this cartoon recently - a very meaningful icon about LIHKG, the local forum of Hong Kong!

image.png.a32f0809e4481960abf343578372f63b.png

Best of Luck!!

On 1/14/2020 at 12:01 PM, asdf1123 said:

Hi Christian, I hope you hear some good news soon! UBC also has a Hong Kong Studies initiative and there have been some exciting events going on. UAlberta's MA program is pretty great because their students are generally well-funded, plus it is an MA-only program so you'd probably get more faculty attention. I am less familiar with U of T and not sure if anyone there is interested in Hong Kong or Sinophone studies. Best of luck! 

I hope I can enrol in UAlberta too (It is my dream school). I realise that UBC has something like this and would like to apply too but GPA is my barriers.
I consulted with the graduate director, he said only 2-3 pages of research proposal is allowed. I did it with a clear RP plan, whom the graduate chair said my RP is allowed because it serves the right purposes. (lucky me)!!

And I also realise such an advantage of UAlberta, that's why it's my dream uni haha. Thanks~~~

3 hours ago, ChristianP said:

I hope I can enrol in UAlberta too (It is my dream school). I realise that UBC has something like this and would like to apply too but GPA is my barriers.
I consulted with the graduate director, he said only 2-3 pages of research proposal is allowed. I did it with a clear RP plan, whom the graduate chair said my RP is allowed because it serves the right purposes. (lucky me)!!

And I also realise such an advantage of UAlberta, that's why it's my dream uni haha. Thanks~~~

Best of luck and please feel free to PM me for more info about the city, the programme, etc. if you were to come to Edmonton :)

15 hours ago, asdf1123 said:

Best of luck and please feel free to PM me for more info about the city, the programme, etc. if you were to come to Edmonton :)

Thanks! I also hope that I can enrol in my dream school.
By the way, the graduate advisor of the department is very nice and patient - did ask him about the research proposal, and see if I can submit my full research proposal (bit long), he said it's long but serve the purpose!!
They recently hire a very new about East Asian Music - and he seems interested in my research proposal. I am sure it gonna be fun if I can successfully enrol in.

Best of luck to you and wish you can find the PhD position which suits you!

4 hours ago, ChristianP said:

Thanks! I also hope that I can enrol in my dream school.
By the way, the graduate advisor of the department is very nice and patient - did ask him about the research proposal, and see if I can submit my full research proposal (bit long), he said it's long but serve the purpose!!
They recently hire a very new about East Asian Music - and he seems interested in my research proposal. I am sure it gonna be fun if I can successfully enrol in.

Best of luck to you and wish you can find the PhD position which suits you!

They are indeed very nice people. Thank you for wishing me good luck and I have been feeling so anxious. Had two interviews and it just seems brutally competitive. I guess more news will come in February xD  

On 1/21/2020 at 10:25 PM, asdf1123 said:

They are indeed very nice people. Thank you for wishing me good luck and I have been feeling so anxious. Had two interviews and it just seems brutally competitive. I guess more news will come in February xD  

Am sure you can find the one that you like it!!

Hey Christian :) 

A fellow EALC-candidate from Bulgaria here. I graduated my BA in Seoul National University in Korean Literature and Language and now I am finishing up my MA with focus on Modern Korean Literature at the same uni.

I bombed my GRE pretty bad, like real bad, so I don't think I am getting into any of the schools I applied to (UCLA, USC, Harvard) but good luck to you, hopefully you get in your dream program ^^ 

20 hours ago, elerryn said:

A fellow EALC-candidate from Bulgaria here. I graduated my BA in Seoul National University in Korean Literature and Language and now I am finishing up my MA with focus on Modern Korean Literature at the same uni.

I bombed my GRE pretty bad, like real bad, so I don't think I am getting into any of the schools I applied to (UCLA, USC, Harvard) but good luck to you, hopefully you get in your dream program ^^ 

Hey friend there,

Its good to see a fellow Koreanist. I am applying to EALC PhD this year as well. My focus is in pre-modern Korean history, so I am applying to UCLA, Harvard, UPenn and Columbia in particular. I hope you hear good news back!

Hello! Another EALC applicant here. My field is Japanese literature and film.

I noticed two entries on the result page, for the ALC program at UCLA. Does anyone here want to claim that? I applied to the Japanese literature and film track and wonder if either of those two people also applied to the same track.

Nervously waiting for results and refreshing my mailbox everyday...

On 1/23/2020 at 1:53 AM, elerryn said:

Helloooo!!

I believe that GRE is not the only standard to measure your performance. So stay hoped and find out the next step(s)!!
I am applying for Lund PhD, Sweden (global studies regarding Sinophone queer/trans), and Gothenburg PhD in Social Anthropology (about Sinophone migrants).
Wish we all the best!!

7 hours ago, idoitchicagostyle said:

Hey friend there,

Its good to see a fellow Koreanist. I am applying to EALC PhD this year as well. My focus is in pre-modern Korean history, so I am applying to UCLA, Harvard, UPenn and Columbia in particular. I hope you hear good news back!

Good lucccccccck!!!! I am sure you can go to your dream school! :)

3 hours ago, Tanatsu said:

I noticed two entries on the result page, for the ALC program at UCLA. Does anyone here want to claim that? I applied to the Japanese literature and film track and wonder if either of those two people also applied to the same track.

hahaha I wonder why many people wanna go to UCLA? I have no research about the schools in the States.
I did research in Canada, Sweden and Germany haha... perhaps I am afraid of the GRE exam? haha

6 hours ago, ChristianP said:

hahaha I wonder why many people wanna go to UCLA? I have no research about the schools in the States.
I did research in Canada, Sweden and Germany haha... perhaps I am afraid of the GRE exam? haha

UCLA has a really robust Asian studies program and it is now in a very good shape. It just received $25 million from Uniqlo founder for Japan studies, hired two new faculty members for Korean studies, and has influential figures on the China/Sinophone side as well. The problem is, as a public university, they might be a bit short of funding to take in international applicants. We'll see what happens this year, I'm hoping for the best...

On 1/24/2020 at 1:50 AM, Tanatsu said:

Hi Tanatsu! The two interviews for UCLA on the result page were posted by me. I'm an international student studying outside the US so I mark my entries with an "I." There's an acceptance there too and it's not me.

I applied to the China subfield and neither of my POIs is on admission committee. They told me that they make recommendations; the rest depends on the committee; and the competition is fierce (as always). 

I am not sure about the Japanese literature and film track. At this point there's nothing we can do, unless if you have external funding sources which would highly likely increase your chance. 

@asdf1123 Thanks for the info!! And I didn't notice that there was an acceptance already.

I didn't apply to Chicago EALC or Columbia EALAC, but I think you should still wait and see! I think it depends a lot on poi whether they interview prospective students or not before admitting them, so I think it's possible that you might get in without interviews. I wish the admissions process was more open and straightforward, but all we can do is just wait and see... 

But still, congrats on getting admitted to the Penn State program! At least you have been accepted to a great program!! (I have none yet)

Let's keep our fingers crossed!