2020 Interview Thread

MtnDuck

One school has released interview invitations today and several schools have switched to using interviews in recent years (Baylor, Boston, DePaul, Penn State, Chicago, Iowa, UC Irvine, Villanova).  

Since last year folks wanted to talk with one another about what questions to ask and get advice, here is a thread for that! See also this post from @directingdirections(who in turn was sharing information from a previous year) with potential questions to ask.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, shazad said:

Will be interviewing at UC Irvine (LPS). Can anyone shed light on what to expect? I'm not sure how serious it will be or what level of technical interview to expect. Thanks!

Same, and I have all of the same questions. Although I’ve heard (from a very reliable source) that the interview invitation is more or less an acceptance, and that the interviews are just mandated by the university as part of the applicant screening process. Will update the thread if/when I hear more. 

On 1/29/2020 at 2:23 PM, Eheydon said:

Same, and I have all of the same questions. Although I’ve heard (from a very reliable source) that the interview invitation is more or less an acceptance, and that the interviews are just mandated by the university as part of the applicant screening process. Will update the thread if/when I hear more. 

Well that is comforting to hear. Please do post an update if you hear anything!

22 minutes ago, THSRPPhD said:

Hello!

Will be interviewing at Iowa, please what should I be expecting? Has anyone interviewed there?

I believe you're in the wrong section. This is for Philosophy programs, not Health Policy.

9 hours ago, shazad said:

Well that is comforting to hear. Please do post an update if you hear anything!

I’ve received confirmation that this event is more of a meet-and-greet, and any questions asked will just be to get to know us. We don’t need to show up expecting to get grilled....

Also, they are expecting about ten students to show at this event, and they typically enroll about 8 a year.  

11 hours ago, THSRPPhD said:

Hello!

Will be interviewing at Iowa, please what should I be expecting? Has anyone interviewed there?

Congrats!

Edited by KarlX

7 hours ago, Eheydon said:

I’ve received confirmation that this event is more of a meet-and-greet, and any questions asked will just be to get to know us. We don’t need to show up expecting to get grilled....

Also, they are expecting about ten students to show at this event, and they typically enroll about 8 a year.  

Fantastic (and relieving) news. I suppose I'll see you there!

2 hours ago, shazad said:

Fantastic (and relieving) news. I suppose I'll see you there!

Same! Feel free to send me a DM if you’d like. 

On 1/31/2020 at 10:50 PM, platonetsocrate said:

Received an interview invitation from DePaul today. Interviews to take place over the first part of the week (Mon/Tues/Wed), then decisions on the 7th.

Anyone have any idea what to expect? How to prepare?

As far as I understand, Continental interviews are usually about fit with the program more than anything. Its usually some time devoted to your interests, your writing sample, and why you think it would be a good match. And my discussions with a few of the DePaul PhDs generally seem to confirm this as being true there as well.

So prep is largely having some questions prepared for them about how DePaul Specifically could help YOU, as well as taking some time to review the faculty/their research interests/the interests of the other grad students, etc.

On 2/3/2020 at 6:23 AM, SmugSnugInARug said:

As far as I understand, Continental interviews are usually about fit with the program more than anything. Its usually some time devoted to your interests, your writing sample, and why you think it would be a good match. And my discussions with a few of the DePaul PhDs generally seem to confirm this as being true there as well.

So prep is largely having some questions prepared for them about how DePaul Specifically could help YOU, as well as taking some time to review the faculty/their research interests/the interests of the other grad students, etc.

It was indeed quite like you suggest here - focus on fit, etc. Thanks!

On 2/3/2020 at 10:32 AM, UndergradDad said:

Hey platonetsocrate were you the one who already had a fellowship offer? If so you should have a good shot at this.

Good Luck!

Yes I was. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...