Was it a bad move to submit a controversial writing sample?

StarkDark1

I submitted a writing sample on Israel-Palestine and I took a strong stance.  I used that article because it's my strongest piece, and it connects with what I want to study in grad school.  Was submitting it a bad move?  I can't help but wonder how objective ad coms are, especially about incendiary subjects.  

Well...  I submitted a paper that compares Israel and South African apartheid.  I argue that Israel is an apartheid state (with some qualifications).  There are a couple of profs in the program who support/sympathize with Palestine.  The program seems more left-wing than most.  But I still think maybe it was a bad move to submit this paper...  Too controversial.  I'm probably doomed.

Edited by StarkDark1

Mine was pretty controversial, too. I’m not sure if it was as controversial as the Israel-Palestine issue, but it’s still pretty controversial. I think that some professors might even have said “this is a BS” as they read my writing sample.. lol. I’ve been seriously worried and depressed because of my writing sample, too. But I got admission from one of my top choices, so good luck to you, too!

Nah, you'll be fine. I just wanted to use that meme. 

As you say, there are some sympathetic to Palestine in the department and that sounds like an interesting comparison to me. 

I was more guessing you were saying like "Israel should take the West Bank" and I was thinking ... yikes.

Perhaps this is the wrong mentality but I like to swing for the fences. Some people will hate it, but the people who don't usually think its brilliant. I'd rather be brash than boring. Hopefully it will work for you and you'll go into the fall with a reputation as an all-star.

Can you reveal which program you submitted it to? Programs are interested in attracting students of high caliber and I am convinced that no one would reject your application because they happened to disagree with your argument. If your paper is of a high academic standard you will do well. Your paper may however serve against you if you take a strong stance but without simultaneously making a strong argument. And except if you are versed in normative theory it is hard for me to see how you can actually produce a convincing argument. So there is a risk that you may look like an ideologue.

My point is that if you are rejected on the basis of your writing sample it must be cause the paper is of subpar quality, i.e. because the argument is poor, not due to the subject of your argument per se. I'm crossing my fingers for you!

I highly doubt that the position itself would be an issue, but if your writing sample is overly polemical it may hurt you by raising other red flags for committees. A lot of programs get applicants who really should be applying to policy or law schools and don't know what a PhD program is all about, so if you submit something written in a measured, academic tone it sends a stronger signal that you know what you're getting into. Secondly, if it the paper comes off as abrasive, it may raise questions about what kind of person you are. That might be an unfair assumption to make, but departments are generally quite small and committees are looking for people who will be able to get along with others. 

Admissions decisions sometimes seem really random because there are so many qualified applicants, but even if they don't like the tone of your paper I'm sure if the rest of your application is strong you will be fine! :)

Edited by sobomobo

Generally speaking, there is a big difference between "sympathizing with Palestine" and downright suggesting that Israel an "apartheid state." I mean, there are pro-Israelis who sympathize with Palestinian, just as there are pro-Palestinians who would not classify Israel as an apartheid state. Having said that, you're entitled to your opinion and so long as your arguments are well established and you've got a strong academic paper, you should be fine. To my knowledge, the writing sample is meant to evaluate your analytical writing skills and they couldn't care less about the topic. I could be wrong, but I heard this from a few grad students. 

Either way, there's nothing you can do about it now. Just wait it out and hope for the best (easier said than done, I know). Also, I'd be interested in reading this paper of yours if you have it published somewhere/have a public summary of it. Genuinely curious about your arguments.      

After you press submit and are waiting to hear back while others are receiving acceptances, it’s really easy to find things that you may have done wrong on your application. Don’t do this until you’ve received all of your decisions or you will drive yourself mad. There’s nothing you can do about it now. 

That said, be confident in your strongest writing sample. The topic isn’t important, how you write and how you arrive at conclusions is. As long as long as you maintained objectivity, avoided unsubstantiated claims, and refrained from proposing a radical solution, you should be fine. 

• 1 month later...