Georgetown MSFS 2020

MA2020

• 2 weeks later...

After looking at previous years’ admissions threads, it seems like decisions will probably be released around March 9-13. Hopefully it’s the week before that, though. I’ve been accepted to two schools so far, but Georgetown is my top choice. I’m so excited to hear back. 

58 minutes ago, Chamizou said:

Same here! Apparently, there's some cases of early phone calls made prior to the date. Like early March or end of February ??? Good luck to everyone!!

Did you hear that from someone who applied in the past? Or is this a new practice?

1 minute ago, AONomad said:

Oh nice! Where were you accepted, if you don't mind sharing? Is Walsh your top choice?

I got an official acceptance letter from SIS at American, and yesterday I got an email from the program director at GWU Elliott offering congratulations and saying that an official letter of acceptance/fellowship info will follow. Walsh is my top choice, and I'd be disappointed if I weren't to get in, but I have to say, Elliott wouldn't be so bad of a consolation prize! 

Yeah honestly I can't believe I didn't think of it, I'm figuratively smacking myself. I even did 2 years of undergrad at GW! The only other places I applied were SAIS and Fletcher-- but honestly despite Fletcher's slightly better ranking, I think being in DC is a huge advantage for networking, at least for what I'm interested in I can see Elliott being way better. I'm not even sure I'd go to Fletcher if I'm accepted there, I'd probably just prefer to get a job instead.

Ahhh oh well lol. I'd be curious what the fellowship/scholarship situation is like at Elliott. Keep us posted!

23 minutes ago, AONomad said:

Yeah honestly I can't believe I didn't think of it, I'm figuratively smacking myself. I even did 2 years of undergrad at GW! The only other places I applied were SAIS and Fletcher-- but honestly despite Fletcher's slightly better ranking, I think being in DC is a huge advantage for networking, at least for what I'm interested in I can see Elliott being way better. I'm not even sure I'd go to Fletcher if I'm accepted there, I'd probably just prefer to get a job instead.

Ahhh oh well lol. I'd be curious what the fellowship/scholarship situation is like at Elliott. Keep us posted!

It might be worth looking into next year/semester if SAIS doesn't work out! I think they do Spring admissions. I applied to SAIS as well and am still waiting on a decision from them as well, but I'm not super hopeful. I don't really have a strong econ/quant background and they seem to focus pretty heavily in that area. 

And will do! 

10 minutes ago, PupCakes said:

It might be worth looking into next year/semester if SAIS doesn't work out! I think they do Spring admissions. I applied to SAIS as well and am still waiting on a decision from them as well, but I'm not super hopeful. I don't really have a strong econ/quant background and they seem to focus pretty heavily in that area. 

And will do! 

Replied on the SAIS thread since it's more relevant over there: 

I recently switched jobs and submitted an updated resume to my application today. An hour later I received an email thanking me for the updated information but that it won't be considered because they are interviewing. Here's what I received:

"Thank you for sharing this! However, we are in the final round of interviews and will not be able to upload your updated resume."

It's my understanding that MSFS doesn't do interviews, so what could they mean by this?

Hm, they probably just used the wrong word, or had a template already saved from a past year when they did conduct interviews. Or maybe they interview admissions officers to ask for their opinions? Might be plausible if they borrow officers from undergrad admissions or something like that instead of having a full time admissions team.

46 minutes ago, MA2020 said:

Did anyone else do the video essay for MSFS? I know it was optional, but I didn't know if that meant it was encouraged or really just optional...

I spoke with the director of admissions and asked if it was “‘optional’ optional” or “actually optional” and she laughed and said “yes, very much optional. We judge you on the basis of what you submit”.  I don’t have consistent internet which would allow me to upload a video like that so I didn’t do one. 

1 hour ago, MA2020 said:

Did anyone else do the video essay for MSFS? I know it was optional, but I didn't know if that meant it was encouraged or really just optional...

I did. Mine was right at 2 minutes and I feel like I sounded so dumb, lol. But I'm hoping the content was helpful to the strength of my application. I went to one of their info sessions and they said that it really was completely optional and that it could really only help if you decided to do it, but it wouldn't count against you if you didn't.