Georgetown MSFS 2020

MA2020

2 hours ago, AONomad said:

I just got my admission notification... I got in to MASIA! :D:D:D

Ahh! Congratulations!! Do you think you'll go or are you still waiting on SAIS?

Almost certainly will go there unless SAIS gives me lots of cashdollas. I'd rather be in DC two years than one year at HNC, since my end goal is to get a job in DC rather than China. If I wanted a fancy expat package at a multinational doing business in China, SAIS would probably be the better choice, but I'm probably aiming for government policy work.

The main "drawback" of the MASIA program is that it's small, only around 35 students per year, so compared to SAIS the alumni network is pretty small. But that may also be a plus in some ways, so not too concerned about that.

1 minute ago, AONomad said:

Almost certainly will go there unless SAIS gives me lots of cashdollas. I'd rather be in DC two years than one year at HNC, since my end goal is to get a job in DC rather than China. If I wanted a fancy expat package at a multinational doing business in China, SAIS would probably be the better choice, but I'm probably aiming for government policy work.

The main "drawback" of the MASIA program is that it's small, only around 35 students per year, so compared to SAIS the alumni network is pretty small. But that may also be a plus in some ways, so not too concerned about that.

Awesome! That makes a lot of sense. Hopefully with some of the regional studies programs sending out decisions, MSFS will send something out soon. I know it's a long shot, but I want it so bad. lol.

2 minutes ago, thediesel said:

I haven't received any information yet, and my portal still shows all the check marks.

I recieved my acceptance as an email. They will be updating the status portal in the coming weeks. 

Just now, mpp2020- said:

I recieved my acceptance as an email. They will be updating the status portal in the coming weeks. 

Nothing on the SSP front as of yet, it seems that they're often the last of the programs to notify, though :/

Just now, mpp2020- said:

Just got the email. On the waitlist. At least I'm in at SAIS and SIS. Only slightly disappointed. Congrats to everyone in though!

26 minutes ago, PupCakes said:

I'M IN!!!! AH!!! I'm not crying, you're crying!! ?

Yay PupCakes!! :D Was this your top choice or still hoping for SAIS?

12 minutes ago, thediesel said:

Just got the email. On the waitlist. At least I'm in at SAIS and SIS. Only slightly disappointed. Congrats to everyone in though!

Congrats! Considering Walsh and SAIS basically trade places for #1 every year, I think you're in a good spot!

11 minutes ago, AaBbAa said:

Got in to the program, but no funding at all. Quite disappointing since I wont ever be able to fund my studies.

Those admitted- have any of you received financial aid?

I'm in the same boat. I'm applying to a foreign language fellowship which should help... but I'd still have to borrow wayyyy too much money. I think I'll do it because working at a dream job with some financial stress is probably better than at a job I don't want with financial security... but ugh.

23 minutes ago, AONomad said:

Yay PupCakes!! :D Was this your top choice or still hoping for SAIS?

This is my #1!! It'd be cool to go 4/4, but even if I get into SAIS at this point, Georgetown is where I'll be! 

38 minutes ago, AaBbAa said:

Got in to the program, but no funding at all. Quite disappointing since I wont ever be able to fund my studies.

I didn't get a financial aid offer either, unfortunately.  A bit of bummer, to be sure.

Congrats everyone !! 

I got "After a thorough review of your application, the MSFS Admissions Committee is recommended to the Georgetown University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences your admission to the Master of Science in Foreign Service program for fall of 2020." Does this mean I got in ???

Also - I'm very excited to also be one of the rare double degree MSFS and Global History MA (MAGIC)!! No funding but big degrees!!

45 minutes ago, Chamizou said:

Congrats everyone !! 

I got "After a thorough review of your application, the MSFS Admissions Committee is recommended to the Georgetown University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences your admission to the Master of Science in Foreign Service program for fall of 2020." Does this mean I got in ???

Also - I'm very excited to also be one of the rare double degree MSFS and Global History MA (MAGIC)!! No funding but big degrees!!

That's what I got too. I'm assuming it's all but a formality, as far as waiting on the official letter. Like if between now and then they discover that someone lied on their applications or something, they could rescind the offer, but barring that, I think you're in!

2 hours ago, AONomad said:

I wonder if it's like law schools where if we receive aid elsewhere we can haggle a bit.

Couldn't hurt to try, I guess? I've read about people negotiating with other programs, so it's possible.

3 hours ago, AaBbAa said:

yeah i got my financial aid in this email. so sorry that you didn’t get any. are there external fellowships you’re eligible for?