Georgetown MSFS 2020

MA2020

8 minutes ago, Graccce6688 said:

No I didn't. I think it's better to wait until next week probably? Did you apply early or something? 

I don't think there's anything wrong with calling now and saying that you were reading online discussions where people already heard back, so you just wanted to check if they had already issued decisions for all students or if maybe they do rolling decisions. It's a pretty neutral and valid question, I think you're within your rights to find out now lol

Edited by AONomad

14 minutes ago, AONomad said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with calling now and saying that you were reading online discussions where people already heard back, so you just wanted to check if they had already issued decisions for all students or if maybe they do rolling decisions. It's a pretty neutral and valid question, I think you're within your rights to find out now lol

@Graccce6688, agreed. It doesn't hurt to ask. Honestly, it may make you seem more impressive that you are being proactive about it.

22 minutes ago, AONomad said:

That's a good advice! I will keep you posted!

I've heard of people successfully negotiating a scholarship based on admissions to other scholarships to other institutions, any idea if that actually works ?

I was also admitted to SAIS, but at Georgetown I was admitted to the Double degree of 2. 1/2 years, so more tuition to pay. Still waiting for SIPA, but if I get the scholarship there, I must also take in account it. 

On 3/8/2020 at 10:28 AM, Chamizou said:

I've heard of people successfully negotiating a scholarship based on admissions to other scholarships to other institutions, any idea if that actually works ?

I was also admitted to SAIS, but at Georgetown I was admitted to the Double degree of 2. 1/2 years, so more tuition to pay. Still waiting for SIPA, but if I get the scholarship there, I must also take in account it. 

A friend of mine negotiated more scholarship money for herself this way last year!

I've heard that in previous years, some people were placed on a funding waitlist... was anyone told this in their admission email or in a separate email? I didn't get offered any funding, but holding out hope that I could potentially receive funding later. Just want to see if others were already notified of being on a list, that way at least I'll know it's unlikely for me to get anything later.

The initial e-mail made reference to a scholarship ("FLAS Fellowship, if received, will waive your scholarship offer" or something like that), but when I asked for more details about it, they said the e-mail was just worded poorly and there was no scholarship offer. No info about a funding waitlist was mentioned.

On 3/10/2020 at 6:49 PM, bureh said:

tried renegotiating with $27 k at SAIS / $30+ k at another but no luck

Dang. I was going to try and see if I could get something as I'll have a small gap in funding, but I was only offered $15,000 & $16,000 by other programs, so if they wouldn't consider you, they almost certainly wouldn't consider me.

2 hours ago, sare123 said:

I've heard that in previous years, some people were placed on a funding waitlist... was anyone told this in their admission email or in a separate email? I didn't get offered any funding, but holding out hope that I could potentially receive funding later. Just want to see if others were already notified of being on a list, that way at least I'll know it's unlikely for me to get anything later.

I haven't been told anything regarding a funding wait list, just that I wasn't selected to receive funding.

1 hour ago, PupCakes said:

Dang. I was going to try and see if I could get something as I'll have a small gap in funding, but I was only offered $15,000 & $16,000 by other programs, so if they wouldn't consider you, they almost certainly wouldn't consider me.

I haven't been told anything regarding a funding wait list, just that I wasn't selected to receive funding.

I'm in a very similar position. I've heard they like to counteroffer when they already offer you a decent amount, i.e. jumping from 50% funding to 75%, but it doesn't seem like they are open to matching anything if they didn't offer you funding in the first place. But I suppose you never know.

That's why I was hoping they would have a funding waitlist... but maybe they don't have one this year or the people on it have already been notified separately. 

19 hours ago, sare123 said:

They told me they have one and they could put me on it but I likely wouldn't know until after April 15th if someone declines an offer. I'll likely have to decide on others beforehand so I can't wait until then in, especially if it turns out there isn't anything available. But if you guys want to go to SFS regardless I would share your offers and ask to be put on it 

Is anyone else trying to decide between MSFS and one of the SFS regional programs? I'm focused on one region specifically and think that program would be more academically rigorous and interesting than what I've heard about MSFS classes, but am worried about getting a degree that's too specialized if we graduate during an economic recession.

7 hours ago, MA2020 said:

Is anyone else trying to decide between MSFS and one of the SFS regional programs? I'm focused on one region specifically and think that program would be more academically rigorous and interesting than what I've heard about MSFS classes, but am worried about getting a degree that's too specialized if we graduate during an economic recession.

I would think the reverse is true, that more specialized degrees have a better time in a recession than generalist ones that face competition from a greater variety of people

So I got an email at the beginning of March saying my application “couldn’t be recommended for admission” but then ultimately I was waitlisted. Confused how that works, I was denied but they changed their mind? I might ride the waitlist to see what happens in the next month or so just to keep options open, but that’s really weird to me. 

Edited by Byrek

On 3/25/2020 at 11:46 AM, dmford13 said:

Hey. Just seeing if I'm the last one who hasn't heard back yet. I submitted it in mid-February. Hope I didn't miss an email. Anyone else has yet to hear back?

Good luck! Couldn't hurt to check your spam folder/application portal, but I'm sure they're working their way through. For those of us who applied by the priority/funding consideration date, it took something like 7-8 weeks to hear back, so I'd assume it'd be about the same timeline for those being considered on a rolling basis. Fingers crossed that you hear something soon and that it's good news!

On 3/18/2020 at 4:07 PM, AONomad said:

I would think the reverse is true, that more specialized degrees have a better time in a recession than generalist ones that face competition from a greater variety of people

It can go both ways.

1. With an MSFS, you have to keep in mind the IR grad school community isn't exactly big to begin with. That being said, you have greater flexibility to pivot your career in something within IR that you know you have better job security (trade/patents, global health, and etc.). Obviously if you try to do IDEV, you probably will be struggling more because not as much IDEV opportunities going on when funding isn't there.

2. With an area studies, if you are in a hot area that all of sudden becomes popular, you do have job security. I randomly know some guy who is the expert on all things Georgia (the country), and he has job security because very few other people know about it. But... go outside your super skinny swim lane and then good luck. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

On 3/30/2020 at 1:01 AM, GradSchoolGrad said:

It can go both ways.

1. With an MSFS, you have to keep in mind the IR grad school community isn't exactly big to begin with. That being said, you have greater flexibility to pivot your career in something within IR that you know you have better job security (trade/patents, global health, and etc.). Obviously if you try to do IDEV, you probably will be struggling more because not as much IDEV opportunities going on when funding isn't there.

2. With an area studies, if you are in a hot area that all of sudden becomes popular, you do have job security. I randomly know some guy who is the expert on all things Georgia (the country), and he has job security because very few other people know about it. But... go outside your super skinny swim lane and then good luck. 

Those both make sense. I guess I'm worried the SFS prestige comes only with the MSFS program and other SFS programs (like regional programs) aren't regarded as highly in the DC professional community when you're looking for jobs....any insights on this?

59 minutes ago, MA2020 said:

Those both make sense. I guess I'm worried the SFS prestige comes only with the MSFS program and other SFS programs (like regional programs) aren't regarded as highly in the DC professional community when you're looking for jobs....any insights on this?

What I'm highlighting is that the prestige is relative the specific area and what career path you go on. Think of it like caviar. The average human being doesn't know what are the prestige brands for caviar.  However... the caviar experts do. In area studies... if you are trying to impress the experts in an area, that varies by each area studies program and the professor that runs it. As for general prestige... you got Georgetown SFS school... only a few annoying people would be really picky about it. HOWEVER... there would be something to be said about your experiences, network that you build up, and etc. may not be as high quality of MSFS. 

On 4/7/2020 at 10:30 AM, MA2020 said:

Does anyone know if there was a funding waitlist for MSFS?

Yes, you had to ask admissions if you could be reconsidered for aid and they would let you know if they could put you on a waiting list or not. I asked and was put on the list, and I just heard back on Thursday that they were able to offer me some aid!