Georgetown MSFS 2020

MA2020

7 hours ago, PupCakes said:

That's what I got too. I'm assuming it's all but a formality, as far as waiting on the official letter. Like if between now and then they discover that someone lied on their applications or something, they could rescind the offer, but barring that, I think you're in!

Same here! The ambiguity is rough!

2 hours ago, Sircptpicard said:

Is also got the same “recommended” for admission” but not offical till March 23 or what not...for those that “got in” was this also the wording in your email?

irs my #1 school so the ambiguity is KILLING me!

Yes, I got the same wording as you. I am assuming that the formal letter is a formality. 

7 hours ago, kime said:

Same ? Congrats to those who got financial aid!

Also with that unofficial, heads-up email, I guess a simple thank-you email back would do for now, right? 

That's a really good question! I'm not sure of the etiquette on this. Anybody have any idea? I figured since it was essentially a form letter a reply wouldn't be expected, but I honestly don't know.

Just now, PupCakes said:

That's a really good question! I'm not sure of the etiquette on this. Anybody have any idea? I figured since it was essentially a form letter a reply wouldn't be expected, but I honestly don't know.

I think it would be appropriate. It could be short like this:

"This is wonderful news. I look forward to receiving my official offer of admission later this month and responding once I have reviewed it and all my other academic options for the upcoming academic year."

I was waitlisted, so I will probably write something similar. I wouldn't expect a reply, but it shows that you care as a candidate.

34 minutes ago, thediesel said:

I think it would be appropriate. It could be short like this:

"This is wonderful news. I look forward to receiving my official offer of admission later this month and responding once I have reviewed it and all my other academic options for the upcoming academic year."

I was waitlisted, so I will probably write something similar. I wouldn't expect a reply, but it shows that you care as a candidate.

I think that's a good idea. I've got my fingers crossed for you to get a spot!

As the notices of admission have started coming out does GTown stagger their admissions decisions based on when you submit your application or once they start releasing decisions are they randomized? I submitted my app a month ago so am very anxious about potentially getting the decision very soon. Are these decisions mainly a result of the first tranche of apps submitted in Dec/Jan? Thanks

1 hour ago, gr2020 said:

As the notices of admission have started coming out does GTown stagger their admissions decisions based on when you submit your application or once they start releasing decisions are they randomized? I submitted my app a month ago so am very anxious about potentially getting the decision very soon. Are these decisions mainly a result of the first tranche of apps submitted in Dec/Jan? Thanks

Which program did you apply to?

3 hours ago, gr2020 said:

I submitted mine by the Jan 15 deadline, and I'm assuming that's what this round of decisions is from. When I went to the info session, they said that applications submitted by that date would all be considered together and any after that would be considered on a rolling basis. 

I don't know if I should make a separate thread for this but I would love to discuss pros/cons of the MSFS. Is anyone else worried about the pressure to intern and to be a full-time student at the same time? Obviously this is a great opportunity to build your resume, but there are schools outside of DC were students also end up getting incredible jobs after graduation and they don't have to balance internships with school during the school year

2 hours ago, PupCakes said:

I submitted mine by the Jan 15 deadline, and I'm assuming that's what this round of decisions is from. When I went to the info session, they said that applications submitted by that date would all be considered together and any after that would be considered on a rolling basis. 

Ok. that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully they can turn these decisions after 1/15 around quickly but that's no guarantee. Do you suppose there is any difference in likelihood of admission if you submit after 1/15 or is it roughly the same? 

23 hours ago, QP6161 said:

Nothing on the SSP front as of yet, it seems that they're often the last of the programs to notify, though ?

I'm waiting for Security Studies too!  I was admitted for MPPs in McCourt, as well as UVA's Batten so this is my last application.

@gr2020 I'm really not sure, but I'd imagine it depends on volume. I would assume that they have a soft limit for the number of people admitted per year, so it probably depends on how many people applied after the deadline and how many spots they still have available.

34 minutes ago, Graccce6688 said:

I applied MASIA too and haven't heard anything back yet... Did you get notified by email? I'm getting nervous.....

Yes, e-mail a couple of days ago and this afternoon they updated the online portal. Maybe check there, and if there's no update, call them? Also check your spam folder, I had read one or two people say in past years' posts on this forum that the admissions decision e-mails ended up there (I think it was for SAIS, not Georgetown, but you never know).

Fingers crossed for you!! 

49 minutes ago, AONomad said:

Yes, e-mail a couple of days ago and this afternoon they updated the online portal. Maybe check there, and if there's no update, call them? Also check your spam folder, I had read one or two people say in past years' posts on this forum that the admissions decision e-mails ended up there (I think it was for SAIS, not Georgetown, but you never know).

Fingers crossed for you!! 

Thanks for sharing that!! I actually check very regularly and nothing comes up... I am not sure if MASIA is rolling based because what I heard from previous years was that people got result on the same day. I am soooo nervous because that's my top choice...

24 minutes ago, Graccce6688 said:

Thanks for sharing that!! I actually check very regularly and nothing comes up... I am not sure if MASIA is rolling based because what I heard from previous years was that people got result on the same day. I am soooo nervous because that's my top choice...

Ahhhh I hope it works out! ? Now I'm stressed for you heh-- be sure to report back once you find out.

Where else did you apply? 

5 hours ago, PupCakes said:

@gr2020 I'm really not sure, but I'd imagine it depends on volume. I would assume that they have a soft limit for the number of people admitted per year, so it probably depends on how many people applied after the deadline and how many spots they still have available.

I think that sounds pretty reasonable. much appreciated.

1 hour ago, AONomad said:

Ahhhh I hope it works out! ? Now I'm stressed for you heh-- be sure to report back once you find out.

Where else did you apply? 

Sure! I applied to Fletcher too. Did you say that you got MASIA acceptance by email directly, not an email about updates on your portal? (as you said your portal updated this afternoon

2 minutes ago, Graccce6688 said:

Sure! I applied to Fletcher too. Did you say that you got MASIA acceptance by email directly, not an email about updates on your portal? (as you said your portal updated this afternoon

Correct, I received an e-mail informing me of acceptance from Robert Lyons on Monday at 5pm, and the e-mail notifying about portal being updated today.

And nice, I applied to Fletcher too. For sure hope you get into MASIA though :( With any luck they do quasi-rolling or something.

14 hours ago, AONomad said:

Correct, I received an e-mail informing me of acceptance from Robert Lyons on Monday at 5pm, and the e-mail notifying about portal being updated today.

And nice, I applied to Fletcher too. For sure hope you get into MASIA though :( With any luck they do quasi-rolling or something.

Ok, congratulations! I will wait until I hear anything back. Thank you!!