Share your victories!

Hey all!

I thought I would start a thread for people to share their victories, big or small! Brag on yourself a little and give some support and congratulations to the wonderful people in the SLP (to be) community ?

I was pretty much rejected across the board last year (1 wait-list, 3 rejections) and this year I actually have some options already. :) So there's that. 

Are you planning on attending PDX's open houses? I'm waiting to hear back from everyone before I jump any guns, but I'm probably going to go if I can figure it out with work. 

--

Undergraduate major: Anthropology (emphasis on sociolinguistics and psychology)

GPA: Undergrad: 3.62, Post-Bacc: 3.93

GRE: V157, Q151, AW 5.0

Research & work experience (education, exceptional needs, and healthcare)

University of Washington - Portland State University - Vanderbilt - Northwestern - Louisiana State University Health New Orleans - CSU Los Angeles

Applied - Accepted - Wait-listed - Rejected

8 hours ago, meadymalarkey said:

I was pretty much rejected across the board last year (1 wait-list, 3 rejections) and this year I actually have some options already. :) So there's that. 

Are you planning on attending PDX's open houses? I'm waiting to hear back from everyone before I jump any guns, but I'm probably going to go if I can figure it out with work. 

--

University of Washington - Portland State University - Vanderbilt - Northwestern - Louisiana State University Health New Orleans - CSU Los Angeles

That's so awesome that you've already gotten accepted! And congrats on PDX! 

PDX was my first choice for a long time because of their bilingual program, but after seeing the cost of tuition I might need to go somewhere a little cheaper. When I looked at tuition there originally I didn't realize it was a quarter system, so I thought it would be closer to 30K and not 60K ? I would love to go to the open house, but I'm not sure I'll be able to make it happen with my work schedule and flights. I might do the google hangouts option!

Congrats again!

On 2/26/2020 at 6:29 AM, lifeispeachy said:

PDX was my first choice for a long time because of their bilingual program, but after seeing the cost of tuition I might need to go somewhere a little cheaper. When I looked at tuition there originally I didn't realize it was a quarter system, so I thought it would be closer to 30K and not 60K ? I would love to go to the open house, but I'm not sure I'll be able to make it happen with my work schedule and flights. I might do the google hangouts option!

Congrats again!

Ah, yes... the cost is definitely deterring. Hard to make those tough decisions. Looks like you have some options too, though. Congrats! 

22 minutes ago, laurelstock said:

I applied to 10 schools and have gotten accepted into 3 so far! Biola, University of Redlands, and Salus University!

That's awesome! Congratulations! Are you leaning towards any of those programs right now? 

I applied as an out of field applicant without leveling courses completed so really didn't know what would happen. I was super nervous about how things would turn out but just got into my top choice program (& several others) and am so so so over the moon. Still waiting on financial details and a couple other schools but am really honored to even have a difficult decision to make - congrats to everyone else as well!! 

I have applied to 16 schools, heard back from 10 so far. Accepted at 8, waitlisted at 1, and rejected at 1 as well! 

Still waiting on some of my big ones, so I'm still very on edge. Good luck to everyone! I love hearing when y'all get into your top schools.

I got into 1 of my top schools!! A little sad I was waitlisted to my 2 other ones but there is still hope with a waitlist!! I did decline my offer to Saint Mary's already , so whoever is on the waitlist for that program I hope this helps you!!

I got into one of my top choices that I completely was not expecting to get into! This is my first year applying and I'm a partial out of field applicant (don't have all of my prerequisites completed). Also I have potential for some funding at a few of my schools, so hopefully I can even get a Master's without a mountain of debt! Congratulations to everybody on their successes! 

I got into Northwestern today!! I've been so nervous that I wouldn't get in anywhere, especially since my first three decisions were rejections, and then I was waitlisted from another. I'm so so proud of myself and thankful. A big weight has been lifted!

I also got into Northwestern this morning! Really eager to see the results for the last two. 

--

On 2/26/2020 at 6:29 AM, lifeispeachy said:

Congrats again!

Hi @lifeispeachy and @meadymalarkey!! Congratulations on your acceptances! I also got into PDX (only acceptance so far) and it was also my first choice because of their bilingual program. But just like you @lifeispeachy the cost of tuition is scaring me haha. I will be attending the open house because I really want to get to know the department before I make any decision. 

I'm in my last semester of grad school and way past the point of applying, but I had a great week that's worth sharing: I took the Praxis, got my 375th clinical hour, and set up an appointment to fill out hiring paperwork for a long-term SLP sub position that will run from May to mid-June. It's been a looong time coming, but there is finally a light at the end of the tunnel! 

On 3/4/2020 at 1:26 PM, eh1998 said:

Out of field applicant! Still in the middle of my post-bacc and was really stressed about acceptances this year. Got accepted into 2 schools so far! So extremely thankful!!! 

That's awesome congratulations!! Where are you doing your post-bacc?

On 3/7/2020 at 11:42 PM, Atari said:

Hi @lifeispeachy and @meadymalarkey!! Congratulations on your acceptances! I also got into PDX (only acceptance so far) and it was also my first choice because of their bilingual program. But just like you @lifeispeachy the cost of tuition is scaring me haha. I will be attending the open house because I really want to get to know the department before I make any decision. 

I’m still considering it, but I’m going to apply to the GRA position and see how it goes! If I don’t get that, I’ll likely be attending SDSU since the program is cheaper. I think PDX has a great program though, so you probably can’t go wrong?