NIH PREP 2020-2021 Applicants unite

MarxistHegelian

14 hours ago, ThisUserNameIsAlreadyTaken said:

Update: MS Just sent the interview invite!!

Yes, I got it :)

On a side note, one of the things I have not enjoyed about this process is TIMING! It should be more like the PhD process in which all the schools are timed similarly and they all give until April 15th to accept. 

12 minutes ago, GolgiGirl_ said:

Just got waitlisted for JH       XP

Wohoo, congrats! Just got their rejection letter on Tuesday. Hope someone drops so you can get the spot! It would be a dream if all of us get into our top choice programs :)

3 minutes ago, renj22 said:

I got waitlisted to JH and I unofficially got into MUSC (I think) they want to wait for my MCAT score to come back on April 14th. I'm honestly scared because I don't feel good about that MCAT score to begin with and I don't solely want to apply to PhD programs in the long run. Any advice? 

Don't worry about that. If you are doing PREP towards an MD/PhD, a not-so-good MCAT is not going to keep you from getting into PREP as they can help you to retake it and get a better score. 

Dear all. Thanks for your continued support! I received and e-mail from MIT saying I was selected for their interview stage, but they could not conduct them due to MIT's campus closure. They will be cancelling MIT BCS postbac because their start date was June 1st, and they cannot accommodate a later start date. If you were hopeful, like me, to hear from them, it sounds like they will not be having postbac or summer program this year due to COVID-19. Best of luck to you all! I have committed to UChicago, and will keep you updated if I hear back from anybody else in my list ?

Edited by MarxistHegelian

On 3/26/2020 at 12:26 PM, Neuro123 said:

@ThisUserNameIsAlreadyTaken sorry to hear that! Was this the first time you heard from them or were you offered an interview first?

Has anyone else heard from Brown??

first time I heard. No interview offered for them. Hope you hear back soon!

Edited by ThisUserNameIsAlreadyTaken

On 3/27/2020 at 11:30 AM, misterbob19 said:

Don't worry about that. If you are doing PREP towards an MD/PhD, a not-so-good MCAT is not going to keep you from getting into PREP as they can help you to retake it and get a better score. 

Anecdotal and is not true for all PREP programs. The primary goal of PREP is to get students into a PhD program and so the NIH grant fully supports GRE prep course work but not MCAT course work. I know for a fact that if you show interest into and MD-PhD program for Tufts PREP, they will put a red flag on you. 

19 hours ago, Eva91 said:

Guys, do you think its wise ( or recommended) to email programs and ask for status update? 

Depends. If the program is getting near their decision deadline, I would go ahead. 

If the program is just reviewing applications, your email might be ignored and the silence will cause you lots of anxiety. 

If they provide a phone number, I would go that way. It seems that people in this forum have had more luck contacting PREP programs via phone than e-mail. 

Good luck! 

Edited by MarxistHegelian

1 hour ago, James/Jason said:

Just found this forum, noticed that none of the PREP programs I've applied to have been mentioned anywhere on here. Don't know if thats good or bad....But hopefully its good. 

You apply where you think you might want to go ? So no worries!  Mind sharing the institutions and any updates with the community? 

19 hours ago, MarxistHegelian said:

You apply where you think you might want to go ? So no worries!  Mind sharing the institutions and any updates with the community? 

I've applied to UAB, UGA, UCSC, KSU, VT, and Univ. of Michigan

No updates with any, I believe most just hit their deadlines. I don't think I got the UGA one because I've heard others getting interviews and such already.

Edited by James/Jason

On 3/30/2020 at 3:58 PM, Eva91 said:

Guys, do you think its wise ( or recommended) to email programs and ask for status update? 

I have the same question. I emailed a school on the 18th asking if admissions were delayed because of COVID since I was told I would hear back by the 13th. They responded saying they hope to send out updates that day or by the end of that week (the 20th). Its now been a week and a half since then and I still haven't heard anything. I don't want to annoy them but I am worried I missed an email or something ?

3 hours ago, Neuro123 said:

I have the same question. I emailed a school on the 18th asking if admissions were delayed because of COVID since I was told I would hear back by the 13th. They responded saying they hope to send out updates that day or by the end of that week (the 20th). Its now been a week and a half since then and I still haven't heard anything. I don't want to annoy them but I am worried I missed an email or something ?

answered above

18 hours ago, Eva91 said:

Same, I emailed Harvard in middle of March and they said nothing is changed at that time.. So i wondering if I should email them again and ask ..

Were you supposed to get a response by Mid March?

1 hour ago, Neuro123 said:

Were you supposed to get a response by Mid March?

From my understanding, they start the interview process in Mid to end of March and the decisions are made in April - but this is a speculation , I read some post online. There website says that decisions are made in March/April. I think I will email them again, just so I know if I was rejected 

1 hour ago, Eva91 said:

From my understanding, they start the interview process in Mid to end of March and the decisions are made in April - but this is a speculation , I read some post online. There website says that decisions are made in March/April. I think I will email them again, just so I know if I was rejected 

I see. Ya I mean I think the worst that will happen is that they won't respond! And in that case we'll just have to continue waiting. I think I'm going to wait until Monday to email again just to give it another day or two.