Is Coronavirus Affecting Your Decisions?

A little far fetched, but I was wondering if this outbreak is affecting anyone's school decision? I was planning on attending UTHSC-SA open house next Friday, but was informed it is cancelled and will be live-streamed instead.  I already have a flight booked and a place to stay, so I am still planning on going to San Antonio.  Even though I'm a little nervous about flying at the moment,  I can't make a decision to move halfway across the country sight unseen! I was wondering if anyone else is feeling a little panicked about making decisions, visiting any of the schools you got admitted to prior to decision date, etc etc? 

Also if anyone has feedback for San Antonio, that would be great! 

Last night I booked a hotel in Evanston for Northwestern's open house on the 27th, and then this morning I got an email that it was cancelled and they would have a virtual session instead. I'm still planning on going to check out the area, since my hotel is non-refundable. 

I know this isn't as helpful as physically visiting the school, but some universities have virtual tours on their websites. Of course, seeing city would be harder since cities usually don't have virtual tours. But maybe having a virtual tour of the campus might work until you can physically go?

3 hours ago, sjewell said:

A little far fetched, but I was wondering if this outbreak is affecting anyone's school decision? I was planning on attending UTHSC-SA open house next Friday, but was informed it is cancelled and will be live-streamed instead.  I already have a flight booked and a place to stay, so I am still planning on going to San Antonio.  Even though I'm a little nervous about flying at the moment,  I can't make a decision to move halfway across the country sight unseen! I was wondering if anyone else is feeling a little panicked about making decisions, visiting any of the schools you got admitted to prior to decision date, etc etc? 

Also if anyone has feedback for San Antonio, that would be great! 

I am actually from San Antonio! I honestly love SA so much I am probably going to move back here after grad school. It's such a great city and such a great place to be. Great weather, amazing places to eat and shop, it's truly a wonderful city. I was born in San Antonio and then my family moved to MN. We realized we hated MN and loved SATX, so we decided to come back. My dad loves practicing medicine here. Awesome place to live!

I attended the first open house for UT Health SA, so I can provide some feedback! The professors were amazing, kind, and extremely knowledgeable, and provide lots of opportunities to participate in research with them. The current grad students kept raving about the program and how glad they were to be able to attend it. The building the SLP classrooms are in is renovated and very nice, and the campus was great as a whole. The curriculum has a strong medical focus, and the professors emphasized how they will work with you to get the internships/placements you want. I also live in San Antonio, and everything Amanda said above I agree with--- the city is great, the people are friendly, and there's lots to do.  My friends and I left the open house and immediately committed to the program because we were so blown away by everything it offers. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions!

19 hours ago, ammg21 said:

I attended the first open house for UT Health SA, so I can provide some feedback! The professors were amazing, kind, and extremely knowledgeable, and provide lots of opportunities to participate in research with them. The current grad students kept raving about the program and how glad they were to be able to attend it. The building the SLP classrooms are in is renovated and very nice, and the campus was great as a whole. The curriculum has a strong medical focus, and the professors emphasized how they will work with you to get the internships/placements you want. I also live in San Antonio, and everything Amanda said above I agree with--- the city is great, the people are friendly, and there's lots to do.  My friends and I left the open house and immediately committed to the program because we were so blown away by everything it offers. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions!

I was also there for the first open house! I committed as well after seeing and hearing everything--I was sold. Do you know if anyone has started a Facebook page for our cohort yet?

On 3/11/2020 at 11:21 AM, MadisonMachelle said:

I'm visiting Boulder April 3 so I'm just gonna look like a lunatic and wear gloves and a mask. Like you said, you can't just move to a different state without seeing the city!

I cancelled my visit this morning after learning that employees at the Denver airport were testing positive.

On 3/11/2020 at 11:21 AM, MadisonMachelle said:

I'm visiting Boulder April 3 so I'm just gonna look like a lunatic and wear gloves and a mask. Like you said, you can't just move to a different state without seeing the city!

I went to Boulder for undergrad, so if you have any questions about the area and living there, don't be afraid to ask! 

My top three choices canceled their admitted students days so I’m definitely having more trouble figuring out which program is for me. I spoke to someone from MGH and she said they’re working on either extending the final decision deadline which isnt mandated by the schools, but by a higher up. 

Does anyone think the coronavirus will effect when we hear back from schools that have not made decisions yet? For example: if universities are closing and faculty cannot meet to discuss admissions decisions.

To my knowledge, all faculty/staff are still working. At my university, while the Spring Break has been extended, faculty and staff are still working and on campus. Unless they specifically send an email out saying to expect delays, I think it won't be affected.

On 3/12/2020 at 1:33 PM, slptobe! said:

I went to Boulder for undergrad, so if you have any questions about the area and living there, don't be afraid to ask! 

Can you tell me more about the town, program, and student life? I’ve been accepted and I’m beyond bummed about not being able to learn about the city and faculty as I have never been there in person before. I would appreciate any insight that I can get! 

I'm starting to be concerned, but not panicked :) I have decided not to travel and see the school that accepted me, which is unfortunate, but doing my best to scope out others who have been there and reach out to them along with online research about the area. I am more concerned about the schools I've yet to hear from, as I want to be timely with my acceptance response to the schools that have reached out to me, but I also want to see what all my options are. The virus has kind of suspended everything for a lot of people at this time, including many faculty I'm sure, so I'm resigning to waiting this out for a while longer before I reach out. Hopefully most schools and faculty are understanding during this time as it isn't something anyone expected.

17 hours ago, Lilz said:

Can you tell me more about the town, program, and student life? I’ve been accepted and I’m beyond bummed about not being able to learn about the city and faculty as I have never been there in person before. I would appreciate any insight that I can get! 

Absolutely! I loved living in Boulder, it's a small place, but has lots of things to do. The area itself is pretty easy to get around for this reason, the weather was one of my favorites to live in (the altitude does take getting used to if you're like me and are not from a place with altitude) it snows during winter but usually not every day. The weather can change throughout the day even, but it's pretty easy to get used to especially when walking around in such a beautiful place. A lot of people go hiking often, take day trips to Denver or Estes park, go to farmer's markets, etc. There was an article from the Washington Post (linked below) that I read while still in Boulder and found it pretty funny because it was fairly accurate in describing it's uniqueness of a place. 

The campus is gorgeous, the SLHS building is pretty small though. I did not spend a lot of time in the building myself besides going to class because there wasn't a lot of space to use. I can give more detail about anything if you want it (don't be afraid to PM me as well!). The faculty are all pretty great as well. Student life is very active because Boulder is a college town, there are lots of places to eat and go out at night. Let me know if you (or anyone else reading) have more questions!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/lifestyle/vacation-ideas/things-to-do-in-boulder/

Edited by slptobe!

It wasn't until I just got into University of Oregon and I can't go visit. I've literally never even been to Oregon and now I don't know how to make an educated decision.

Congratulations to everyone that has been accepted! It's been a long time coming. I was recently accepted to many amazing programs. I was unfortunately rejected at my top 2 choices, so I'm still upset about that. I declined my offers at Tennessee and Boston University. I actually went to Boston and was impressed with the program, but did not like the hassle of commuting everywhere around the city, especially when I would be skating on their figure skating teams and coaching at rinks around the area. 

With this, I am having to make a decision on where I want to go. I am from San Antonio, Texas so I know a lot about Texas and northern Indiana, where I currently attend college. If anyone can give me any insight to the cities in which the schools I was accepted are in, any concerns or pros, cost of living, commute, etc. that would so awesome! With the coronavirus, I am unable to go and actually tour and visit campus, so I'm a little lost as to what I should do, any advice from people who are familiar with that area or even state, would be so greatly appreciated.

On 3/14/2020 at 3:00 PM, slptobe! said:

Absolutely! I loved living in Boulder, it's a small place, but has lots of things to do. The area itself is pretty easy to get around for this reason, the weather was one of my favorites to live in (the altitude does take getting used to if you're like me and are not from a place with altitude) it snows during winter but usually not every day. The weather can change throughout the day even, but it's pretty easy to get used to especially when walking around in such a beautiful place. A lot of people go hiking often, take day trips to Denver or Estes park, go to farmer's markets, etc. There was an article from the Washington Post (linked below) that I read while still in Boulder and found it pretty funny because it was fairly accurate in describing it's uniqueness of a place. 

The campus is gorgeous, the SLHS building is pretty small though. I did not spend a lot of time in the building myself besides going to class because there wasn't a lot of space to use. I can give more detail about anything if you want it (don't be afraid to PM me as well!). The faculty are all pretty great as well. Student life is very active because Boulder is a college town, there are lots of places to eat and go out at night. Let me know if you (or anyone else reading) have more questions!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/lifestyle/vacation-ideas/things-to-do-in-boulder/

Thank you so so much fir the advice! It means a lot! I am definitely thinking Boulder is gonna be my choice. You rock!

14 hours ago, Lilz said:

Thank you so so much fir the advice! It means a lot! I am definitely thinking Boulder is gonna be my choice. You rock!

Just popping in to say I finished my undergrad at Boulder in December and I honestly loved the town and the department. If they had a bilingual focus, I would do my graduate degree there in a heart beat. 

The town is super bike friendly, outdoorsy, and quirky. Plus, if you get bored of Boulder (which is hard to do), CU gives you a regional bus pass that can take you to Denver, Eldora (for skiing), Longmont, or Fort Collins. The area is great for exploring and getting outdoors - hiking, biking, climbing etc. If you need any extra tips on where to eat (and get good deals on food) or where to live in town, feel free to reach out. I also know someone who will be in your cohort (one of my very best friends) and I'd be happy to put you guys in touch so you know someone in town. I'm sure you'll be very happy in Boulder!

On 3/13/2020 at 8:58 AM, haft25 said:

Does anyone think the coronavirus will effect when we hear back from schools that have not made decisions yet? For example: if universities are closing and faculty cannot meet to discuss admissions decisions.

Hi there, I have had trouble connecting with my program at UVa as a result of the virus/people being away. I'm understanding of the circumstance for sure but it does make me nervous! I still haven't heard back from 2 schools I applied to (Boston U and Indiana U Bloomington) and I have wondered if it's for that reason.