Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

14 minutes ago, kch16 said:

I do see a rejection for ASU now, though it's one person and I, personally have not yet received an email. Seems conveniently timed to this conversation (if the poster sees this and you are telling the truth I'm sorry, I'm suspicious of trolling on the results page).

Also wondering if that's a troll. Interview invites go out "by the end of January", so I'm assuming sometime this week. Doubt they sent out a solitary rejection.

On 1/17/2021 at 5:31 PM, anairakk said:

Has anyone heard back from East Tennessee State or Colorado State University for their clinical psych programs? 

Still waiting to hear back from Colorado State University (Counseling Ph.D.)...

A poster in the results section said they e-mailed the CSU admissions officers on 1/8, who told them that the official interview date had not been set yet (and that invites would be sent 3rd and 4th week of Jan). As of now, their website said their interview date for 2021 is 2/5. Any idea if that has been posted on their website since before 1/8? Wondering if it's accurate or just an arbitrary date they put on their site. 

28 minutes ago, ResilientQueen said:

Has *anyone* heard from AT at University of Southern California, PK at University of Denver, or TM at Duke? My anxiety is through the roof because I’m assuming rejection but want to know if these PIs have sent invites :( 

Hi! I applied to work with PK at DU and haven't heard anything at all yet, nor have I seen anyone post about this POI. Not sure what to think because it looks like most of the DU invites have been sent out but I am really interested in this program so don't want to give up all hope yet ?  

2 minutes ago, radpsych03 said:

Hi! I applied to work with PK at DU and haven't heard anything at all yet, nor have I seen anyone post about this POI. Not sure what to think because it looks like most of the DU invites have been sent out but I am really interested in this program so don't want to give up all hope yet ?  

Same!! It’s one of my favorites. Fingers crossed for us both :) 

4 hours ago, kch16 said:

Before things on the forum get too hectic I wanted to bring this back around. As a first-time applicant I am extremely disheartened by the way the field handles admissions. Have things only recently gotten this bad, or have they always been this way? Is there anything we could possibly do to address it as a concerned group (e.g. open letter)?

This is my third time applying and for me it has always been this bad (hence why I applied to so many schools). For my current PI who applied over 30 years ago, it sounds as if it was slightly less competitive but still pretty tough. I wish there were solutions we could suggest if forming an open letter, but at this point it has to do with # of people able to take students and funding affecting that greatly. I wish PIs in other departments would regularly take clinical students and advertise as such on the main websites (psychiatry and neuroscience PIs take people but not often and sometimes not specified on website). And I wish that clinical psych would be prioritized more when it comes to funding, imagine if we were like Bio PhDs who takes classes of 20-50 every year and have students do rotations before finalizing their lab. That would be an ultimate goal for clinical psych, but I don't know that the field/institutions are even considering moving that way.

4 minutes ago, NervousNelly12 said:

This is my third time applying and for me it has always been this bad (hence why I applied to so many schools). For my current PI who applied over 30 years ago, it sounds as if it was slightly less competitive but still pretty tough. I wish there were solutions we could suggest if forming an open letter, but at this point it has to do with # of people able to take students and funding affecting that greatly. I wish PIs in other departments would regularly take clinical students and advertise as such on the main websites (psychiatry and neuroscience PIs take people but not often and sometimes not specified on website). And I wish that clinical psych would be prioritized more when it comes to funding, imagine if we were like Bio PhDs who takes classes of 20-50 every year and have students do rotations before finalizing their lab. That would be an ultimate goal for clinical psych, but I don't know that the field/institutions are even considering moving that way.

UGH rotations would be AMAZING! Even med school does them. Why do we have to figure out what interests we’re committing to before we even get there??? 

53 minutes ago, kch16 said:

I do see a rejection for ASU now, though it's one person and I, personally have not yet received an email. Seems conveniently timed to this conversation (if the poster sees this and you are telling the truth I'm sorry, I'm suspicious of trolling on the results page).

Hello, no i'm not a troll. I received the rejection this morning. PI: RC. 

Good luck to you! 

14 minutes ago, NervousNelly12 said:

Rotations would be a dream. I know we're supposed to have a general idea of our research interests, but rotations would make it so much easier for students. 

On 9/21/2020 at 2:39 PM, ssg said:

Hi everyone!! Just posting because I'm getting nervous about my application stats.. I'm applying to a PhD in clinical psychology, and I'm only applying to schools that I feel are a direct match to my research interests (which have SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the amount of schools i'm applying to.. which is also making me nervous lol).

At this point i'm mostly concerned about my GPA. in undergrad I had a 3.45 overall, but a 3.7 psych GPA. I recently completed a Masters but due to some ~mental health issues~ and taking very difficult research/stats heavy classes I didn't do as well as I would have liked (I finished with a 3.58, and most of the research/stats heavy classes I took had a B average anyways). I feel like my Masters GPA might screw me over... because grades in some programs can be inflated. I do not want to address my 'challenges' during my masters in my statement, because I know that's a red flag for schools/advisors. I do, however, have a very strong cv with posters and two pubs so i'm hoping this will be my saving grace. I guess I just want to know if anyone else is feeling the same way? If I'm over thinking or if this is something I do legitimately need to be concerned about?

My advisor says they weigh 3.5+ GPA similarly. 

42 minutes ago, EyelandPychePhD said:

Still waiting to hear back from Colorado State University (Counseling Ph.D.)...

A poster in the results section said they e-mailed the CSU admissions officers on 1/8, who told them that the official interview date had not been set yet (and that invites would be sent 3rd and 4th week of Jan). As of now, their website said their interview date for 2021 is 2/5. Any idea if that has been posted on their website since before 1/8? Wondering if it's accurate or just an arbitrary date they put on their site. 

Hi there, I actually emailed them after I posted that and the admissions office said “the Counseling Admissions office is still reviewing applications. I anticipate offers will be sent out very soon in the coming weeks.” That was sent on last Tuesday. Hope this helps :) 

1 minute ago, anairakk said:

Hi there, I actually emailed them after I posted that and the admissions office said “the Counseling Admissions office is still reviewing applications. I anticipate offers will be sent out very soon in the coming weeks.” That was sent on last Tuesday. Hope this helps :) 

Hey- Thank you, That does help! The fact that the interview invite date says 2/5 is making me nervous because it's getting to be short notice if that date is correct! However, since interviews are virtual, maybe short notice is the norm because applicants aren't flying in from other locations.... 

Edited by EyelandPychePhD

3 minutes ago, EyelandPychePhD said:

Hey- Thank you, That does help! The fact that the interview invite date says 2/5 is making me nervous because it's getting to be short notice if that date is correct! However, since interviews are virtual, maybe short notice is the norm because applicants aren't flying in from other locations.... 

I agree!! I think it is really weird, I also saw the 2/5 interview on their website and was super anxious and decided to email them. Hopefully we hear something soon!  

34 minutes ago, psicologa said:

Hello, no i'm not a troll. I received the rejection this morning. PI: RC. 

Good luck to you! 

Hi! Would you mind letting me know if it was a generic/mass email or directly from PI? 

14 minutes ago, anairakk said:

I agree!! I think it is really weird, I also saw the 2/5 interview on their website and was super anxious and decided to email them. Hopefully we hear something soon!  

I will let you know/Post about it ASAP if I hear anything! Do you remember if that 2/5 date has been on their site for several months? I wonder if it's incorrect (like if it's outdated even though is says 2021)

Edited by EyelandPychePhD

Excuse the repeated question - but has anyone heard from UH Counseling Psychology and/or know the program coordinator/advisor contact information? There remains only one entry on the results page and yet the interview date is supposedly on February 12. TIA!

Edited by Zoecc

14 minutes ago, EyelandPychePhD said:

I will let you know/Post about it ASAP if I hear anything! Do you remember if that 2/5 date has been on their site for several months? I wonder if it's incorrect (like if it's outdated even though is says 2021)

I remember looking at it early December and it was like that I can’t remember if it was like that months in advance though I applied mid November :). Thank you though I will also post if I hear anything!!