2021 Application Thread

dr. t

On 3/7/2021 at 5:41 PM, TagRendar said:

Out of curiosity, what has been people's experience with waitlists?  Do you always receive word that you're waitlisted, or sometimes is there just nothing (I would imagine in some ways this is institution-dependent, but I could be mistaken)?

I received waitlist emails from U of Michigan and Indiana U at the beginning of March, both emails told me that if I didn't hear anything after a month passed that I should email X person and ask about my status. Once I did that, the DGS at IU let me know the waitlist was ranked and that he was waiting for just one person to reject their offer so he could extend one to me. U of M didn't tell me anything about their waitlist, just that I was on it and I should just hold tight.

As TMP said, it's institution dependent, I can't even guarantee that my experience was the norm, I was emailing as everyone was shutting things down due to COVID-19.

Thank you both @historyofslothsand @TMP -- these insights are super helpful.

I'm still waiting to hear back from one school (University of Illinois at Chicago) and my previous communication with the grad director for the department there indicated that their waitlist was extremely active and that they anticipated admitting students as late as mid-April.  I haven't heard anything from them one way or another, though I did spy an acceptance last week there.

Just holding tight, waiting and hoping.  I'd rather not go through another application cycle, but I will if I have to.

6 hours ago, TagRendar said:

I haven't heard anything from them one way or another, though I did spy an acceptance last week there.

I'm the UIC admit. I can't know this for sure, but from all indications you will get an email from them if you make the waitlist. Incidentally, the email containing my acceptance letter was sent by an HR official, so Google put in my "promotions" inbox and I almost missed it. 

In any case, feel free to DM me if you have questions about the details of the package they offer (hopefully for your consideration this year, but otherwise for when you're selecting schools next cycle). 

Hello, I have been lurking here for a bit, but it’s my first time actually posting a question. So I got one acceptance from my top choice, which is asking me to decide before April 15. I have been waiting for other schools for what feels like forever because I heard it is rude to accept before seeing all the results. I have two schools left, which for one of them I am pretty sure I got rejected because multiple people posted their acceptance on the results page. The other school has a pretty small program, so I have no idea when things are going to get decided (some past results from many years ago say they got their results via post in Feb). I am a bit pressured to accept my top choice soon because of the housing arrangement. So my question here is: would it be appropriate to contact the department staff to ask when I’ll get notified of my result? I tried to avoid this, but as we are approaching mid-March, I can’t help but thinking about it every day. If not, when will it be appropriate for me to ask? Thanks in advance and have a great day.

2 hours ago, Moka Pot said:

Hello, I have been lurking here for a bit, but it’s my first time actually posting a question. So I got one acceptance from my top choice, which is asking me to decide before April 15. I have been waiting for other schools for what feels like forever because I heard it is rude to accept before seeing all the results. I have two schools left, which for one of them I am pretty sure I got rejected because multiple people posted their acceptance on the results page. The other school has a pretty small program, so I have no idea when things are going to get decided (some past results from many years ago say they got their results via post in Feb). I am a bit pressured to accept my top choice soon because of the housing arrangement. So my question here is: would it be appropriate to contact the department staff to ask when I’ll get notified of my result? I tried to avoid this, but as we are approaching mid-March, I can’t help but thinking about it every day. If not, when will it be appropriate for me to ask? Thanks in advance and have a great day.

Yes because you have a funded offer in hand (I assume this is funded offer). You can simply write, 

"Dear X,

I am writing to inquire when the decisions will be released.  I have an offer from Y and your program remains of interest to me. Your response will be appreciated."

This is short and sweet and keeps the message to the point without all the unnecessary information.

18 minutes ago, TMP said:

Yes because you have a funded offer in hand (I assume this is funded offer). You can simply write, 

"Dear X,

I am writing to inquire when the decisions will be released.  I have an offer from Y and your program remains of interest to me. Your response will be appreciated."

This is short and sweet and keeps the message to the point without all the unnecessary information.

Haha I'm in the same boat.  I can do this??? I had no idea. 

5 minutes ago, CafeConGabi said:

Haha I'm in the same boat.  I can do this??? I had no idea. 

It doesn't hurt -- you need to know before making a decision and this is getting a bit late in the game for (funded) PhD programs to be sending out first-round acceptances.

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

It doesn't hurt -- you need to know before making a decision and this is getting a bit late in the game for (funded) PhD programs to be sending out first-round acceptances.

This is a valid point. Thank you! : ) 

7 hours ago, TMP said:

"Dear X,

Ah, thank you so much! I didn't know I could do that.

I'll need to write an email right away!

I know this may seem a little forward, but I was hoping: Would the folks who got into multiple (or any!) programs this year be willing to talk? I would like to discuss your process and experience and see if that can help shape my way of approaching the next cycle

Thank you!

On 2/19/2021 at 12:40 PM, HRL said:

I'm in the same boat. Two years ago when I applied to programs and didn't get in anywhere, the obvious answer to "what do I do now" was get the MA. Now that I have the MA, it's less clear to me how to proceed to best position myself for next cycle (and if I even should apply again next cycle). 

Do you already have an MA? 

No MA, though i have an MA acceptance from last year with partial funding that I deferred. I am thinking about the MA, but I'm honestly feeling incredibly disheartened at this point - I would really only want the MA as a stepping stone to a PhD. Mostly, I do not want to use my time and money on an MA that would not guarantee admission to a PhD program.

I know that's not how it goes, so I'm trying to decide if I want to stay in the field. I know it's rough for the humanities which is a a part of the rejection, but not getting in to programs has been a major blow to my self esteem and estimation of my own intelligence. I've worked my tail off thus far, and despite my love of the field and my topic, I simply find my motivation and passion being depleted. I would accept any PhD program in a heartbeat, I want to contribute, but there is something emotionally and mentally taxing getting rejected by a field that has dwindling opportunities. No matter how much I love history, I really need to consider if this is my path. 

I just wish rejection didn't make me feel stupid or lazy.

Edited by cryloren
clarification

19 minutes ago, cryloren said:

I know that's not how it goes, so I'm trying to decide if I want to stay in the field. I know it's rough for the humanities which is a a part of the rejection, but not getting in to programs has been a major blow to my self esteem and estimation of my own intelligence.

If your entire sense of self-worth is dictated by the opinions of history professors, get ready for a lifetime of psychological torment. Take it from me: that's no way to live. Constant rejection is an inherent part of grad student/academic life. There's a reason so many graduate students struggle with mental health problems.

Edited by AfricanusCrowther

1 hour ago, cryloren said:

No MA, though i have an MA acceptance from last year with partial funding that I deferred. I am thinking about the MA, but I'm honestly feeling incredibly disheartened at this point - I would really only want the MA as a stepping stone to a PhD. Mostly, I do not want to use my time and money on an MA that would not guarantee admission to a PhD program.

I know that's not how it goes, so I'm trying to decide if I want to stay in the field. I know it's rough for the humanities which is a a part of the rejection, but not getting in to programs has been a major blow to my self esteem and estimation of my own intelligence. I've worked my tail off thus far, and despite my love of the field and my topic, I simply find my motivation and passion being depleted. I would accept any PhD program in a heartbeat, I want to contribute, but there is something emotionally and mentally taxing getting rejected by a field that has dwindling opportunities. No matter how much I love history, I really need to consider if this is my path. 

Rejection blows. I’m sorry.

It's difficult, but really try to resist the urge to assign some greater personal significance or meaning to your rejections. Not getting into a graduate program doesn’t mean you’re stupid or lazy. It doesn’t mean you overestimated your intelligence or misjudged your capabilities. It doesn't mean your ideas aren't worth contributing. It just means what it says: you didn’t get into a graduate program, during a very competitive cycle.

Also, what about doing history do you love, or were you most excited to do in a PhD program? I'm talking about actual tasks and actions you do, not topics you like. Do you like writing? Research? Thinking about complicated problems? Telling stories? I bet you can find something in a not-dying-industry that scratches a similar itch and probably pays better, too.

Edited by gsc

3 hours ago, cryloren said:

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Rejection is a huge part of academia, but it doesn't mean the sting goes away. Your value isn't tied to an acceptance to a PhD program. I recognize saying that is easy, and feeling the truth of it is much harder in these moments.

It is brutal in the humanities right now. Absolutely brutal. And we haven't felt the full impact of it yet. Rejection now can be an opportunity for you to reassess if it's worth it when the number of jobs is becoming vanishingly small--and the number was small pre-covid. I started my program in 2015 fully understanding the challenges and accepting the risk. A sad realization I've had over the past year is, if I had to apply today facing the post-covid market, I wouldn't. I also wouldn't accumulate debt to get an MA when even the programs with good placement records are going to struggle to place their grads in academic jobs. But it's an individual choice. As always, each prospective and current grad student needs to assess the risks themselves.

9 hours ago, cryloren said:

I know rejection hurts. I've gone through my share of rejections during my first round of applications (100% rejection). I thought similar thoughts. 

And after all the rejections I really thought about my future in the field. I took the time to focus on other jobs in other fields but nothing gave me the same sense of fulfillment. Yes, the days are long. Yes, there is lots of reading and writing. However, at the end of the long days I felt like my work made a much needed dent in human knowledge so I continued to do research. On my own. Just for fun. (Nothing intense just lots of reading.)

So, I applied again to other programs outside of history and was happy to be accepted into a program at UCLA--in a department I never saw myself in but made sense this application cycle. 

Breathe. Give yourself time to think. Be gentle with yourself.   

Edited by CafeConGabi

9 hours ago, AfricanusCrowther said:

If your entire sense of self-worth is dictated by the opinions of history professors, get ready for a lifetime of psychological torment. Take it from me: that's no way to live. Constant rejection is an inherent part of grad student/academic life. There's a reason so many graduate students struggle with mental health problems.

Second this. While I had many supportive professors there were a few who seemed hellbent on making students feel like they were complete idiots. My historiography professor in particular seemed intent to tear down my cohort. To the point where many of us considered quitting--and one actually did. I later had another professor tell me (after I went to office hours asked for clarification on something I wasn't getting) that "well, not everyone is meant to be a grad student." Fortunately my advisor and committee were a bunch of standup fellows, so once I finished my course work I was able to go into hiding and hunker down on my thesis. That said my mental health was at the lowest its ever been during grad school. Academia is a brutal and unforgiving place.

9 hours ago, sonnybunny said:

I've been informed after emailing DGS that I am on the "extended waitlist" for the MA at CU Boulder. I've already reaffirmed my interest to DGS, but is there any point/recommendation in reaching out to my POI? This is the only school to which I applied. Thank you for any advice.

Aww that's frustrating. I hope you can get in off the waitlist!

God I'm so nervous. I thought it would be easier second time around, at first I did seem to handle the wait better, but in the last week I have just completely lost it I'm so anxious.

This time I didn't apply to US universities for a mix of professional, covid-related and personal reasons. I have applied to Oxford, UCL and European University Institute, which has invited me to interview. The interview is in front of a panel which makes me extra nervous (last year I did well in one-on-one interviews and totally bombed in a panel interview). It's especially scary because I'm not a native English speaker. Any advice would be much appreciated.

BTW I got an offer from UCL which is awesome but no answer regarding funding so far. And Oxford are taking extra long with their decisions, last year I had an offer by March 6th. Tortuous really

Edited by Manana

So EUI just informed me that in addition to the panel interview, I would have to take an oral test in Spanish. Never heard of such a requirement before. It is bizarre to me to have to go through an oral test considering that I work on early modern history- not many interviews to be conducted there