2021 Application Thread

dr. t

4 hours ago, Manana said:

So EUI just informed me that in addition to the panel interview, I would have to take an oral test in Spanish. Never heard of such a requirement before. It is bizarre to me to have to go through an oral test considering that I work on early modern history- not many interviews to be conducted there

Do they actually email the right applicant?? Can you ask about the purpose of this Spanish oral exam?

2 hours ago, CafeConGabi said:

Wait-listed at UIC. 

Was it the email I sent the other day? Hahaha I doubt it.

What the heck is the point of a wait-list? Grrr. Can you tell I'm upset? This does not make life easier. ?

Arghhhh! 

I mean, when I emailed back in February, they said that the wait-list is SUPER ACTIVE, so there's still a chance to be admitted.  I was told they routinely admit into April.

On the advice of my advisor (also one of my recommendation writers), I'm going to wait until the 22nd to reach out to them--going to kind of chill until then and see what happens.

1 hour ago, TagRendar said:

I mean, when I emailed back in February, they said that the wait-list is SUPER ACTIVE, so there's still a chance to be admitted.  I was told they routinely admit into April.

On the advice of my advisor (also one of my recommendation writers), I'm going to wait until the 22nd to reach out to them--going to kind of chill until then and see what happens.

I have never seen a school be so deliberate in announcing decisions. One wonders what their process is like.

I'm thinking there will be at least some turnover with the admits. There is a lot that's attractive about the program, but they provide only four years of guaranteed funding, which will be a significant consideration for people considering multiple offers (presumably including five years' funding).

5 hours ago, TagRendar said:

So, they're having a Visiting Day on 03/19. IDK if that's for the admitted students and they're just squeezing me in or if it's just for folks on the waitlist...? I'm not familiar with how much in-depth info wait-listed students get (funding package, assigned advisors, etc.) but they're giving me detailed info and it feels weird. ? Congrats! Here's detailed info but you're not in and we don't know if you will be. We'll just tease you with all the offerings that you might not get. Whaaat??? ? Brutal.

3 hours ago, generalstrike said:

I have never seen a school be so deliberate in announcing decisions. One wonders what their process is like.

I'm thinking there will be at least some turnover with the admits. There is a lot that's attractive about the program, but they provide only four years of guaranteed funding, which will be a significant consideration for people considering multiple offers (presumably including five years' funding).

I emailed them asking where I am on the list but they weren't able to tell me.  

It's not a linear process. It's a tiered system and I genuinely do not understand it. ? Whaaat???

But thankfully they'll let me know before April 19. ?

8 hours ago, CafeConGabi said:

So, they're having a Visiting Day on 03/19. IDK if that's for the admitted students and they're just squeezing me in or if it's just for folks on the waitlist...? I'm not familiar with how much in-depth info wait-listed students get (funding package, assigned advisors, etc.) but they're giving me detailed info and it feels weird. ? Congrats! Here's detailed info but you're not in and we don't know if you will be. We'll just tease you with all the offerings that you might not get. Whaaat??? ? Brutal.

So they’re having a visiting day this coming Friday or April 19? I’m confused now.

15 hours ago, TMP said:

Do they actually email the right applicant?? Can you ask about the purpose of this Spanish oral exam?

I mean I think so, it was a personalized email. So weird. I'm not sure about asking them, I don't want to seem disrespectful or anything like that, but it is so weird and makes me really nervous

4 hours ago, TagRendar said:

So they’re having a visiting day this coming Friday or April 19? I’m confused now.

From the email: 

Visiting Day for Prospective History Graduate Students 

Friday, March 19, 2021 

9:00 AM – 2:30 PM 

So, I guess it's an info session? But aren't these info sessions usually in the fall right before applications? I checked the itinerary but it's different from the admit day I got at UCLA (no breakout session with assigned advisor or funding package).

IDK anymore, but I'll hold out for one more week. Anything can change.   

1 minute ago, CafeConGabi said:

From the email: 

Friday, March 19, 2021 

So, I guess it's an info session? But aren't these info sessions usually in the fall right before applications? I checked the itinerary but it's different from the admit day I got at UCLA (no breakout session with assigned advisor or funding package).

Oh! Sorry, and the initial alternate for admission email they sent me: 

We will notify you as soon as possible, and in any case no later than April 18, 2021 if we are able to admit you to our program.

5 hours ago, Manana said:

I'm not sure about asking them, I don't want to seem disrespectful or anything like that

Just my 2 cents from afar: I don't think it's disrespectful at all to ask about the purpose of the test. If this is a component of what's expected of you as part of the program, they should have no problem telling you about it.

4 hours ago, CafeConGabi said:

From the email: 

Friday, March 19, 2021 

That's odd.  It sounds a lot more like something pre-application to me.  Sounds like that's your read on it, too, unless I'm mistaken.

20 minutes ago, TagRendar said:

That's odd.  It sounds a lot more like something pre-application to me.  Sounds like that's your read on it, too, unless I'm mistaken.

That's exactly what my take is. I've managed to talk to the assigned advisor and we're going to talk about in greater detail. He echoes the active wait-list comment from earlier in the thread. 

I hope you have better results. : ) 

Just now, CafeConGabi said:

That's exactly what my take is. I've managed to talk to the assigned advisor and we're going to talk about in greater detail. He echoes the active wait-list comment from earlier in the thread. 

I hope you have better results. : ) 

My fingers are definitely crossed and I'm still hopeful for both of us.

I've been in touch with my advisor at my current institution (I'm finishing up a second bachelor's degree but in a different discipline right now but have contacts in the history department) about future plans if this cycle doesn't pan out for me.  He reaffirmed the exceptionally brutal nature of this year's cycle overall and does have suggestions for additional programs for me if this year doesn't pan out (there were some in our initial conversations that we knocked off my list at the outset because we already knew they weren't/probably weren't going to be accepting candidates).

2 minutes ago, TagRendar said:

My fingers are definitely crossed and I'm still hopeful for both of us.

I've been in touch with my advisor at my current institution (I'm finishing up a second bachelor's degree but in a different discipline right now but have contacts in the history department) about future plans if this cycle doesn't pan out for me.  He reaffirmed the exceptionally brutal nature of this year's cycle overall and does have suggestions for additional programs for me if this year doesn't pan out (there were some in our initial conversations that we knocked off my list at the outset because we already knew they weren't/probably weren't going to be accepting candidates).

Oh dang. I mean, yeah, that sounds about right. I had some programs on my list that I crossed off for the same reason. It's been a brutal application cycle. And applying through different programs def helped me get through the cycle. 

Thank you. I can def see myself at UIC and I'm sure everything will turn out the way it needs to. I'm crossing my fingers for you too! ^_^  

Hey did anyone apply for Georgetown’s Masters in Global International Comparative History? I haven’t heard a single thing lol and although I was expecting a rejection I thought it would come sooner rather than this late?

17 hours ago, Lily98 said:

Hey did anyone apply for Georgetown’s Masters in Global International Comparative History? I haven’t heard a single thing lol and although I was expecting a rejection I thought it would come sooner rather than this late?

I applied for Georgetown's phd program, but was not admitted. I didn't recieve an offical rejection but got one letter last week saying that they could offer me a spot in Magic master program. I'm not going to accept it since I got a phd offer though. Hope this helps.

Edited by PurpleLight
typo and added some information

5 minutes ago, PurpleLight said:

I applied for Georgetown's phd program, but was not admitted. I didn't recieve an offical rejection but got one letter last week saying that they could offer me a spot in Magic master program. I'm not going to accept it since I got a phd offer though. Hope this helps.

Yes that helps thanks! Think I’m in wait list limbo atm and that’s why I haven’t been contacted - at least that’s what I’m hoping!

16 minutes ago, Lily98 said:

Yes that helps thanks! Think I’m in wait list limbo atm and that’s why I haven’t been contacted - at least that’s what I’m hoping!

This happened to me at CU Boulder--radio silence, then I contacted DGS last week who told me I was waitlisted. Different schools, but I'm thinking this is the situation you may be in as well.

30 minutes ago, sonnybunny said:

This happened to me at CU Boulder--radio silence, then I contacted DGS last week who told me I was waitlisted. Different schools, but I'm thinking this is the situation you may be in as well.

Yikes, such a weird spot to be in hey 

19 hours ago, klynn said:

Has anyone heard anything about the IU History Masters??  I know PHD offers were already made.  Have not heard anything-- acceptance or rejection.

I haven't heard anything about MA students yet, but if I do, I'll keep you posted!

ETA: Of course, as soon as I hit send, I get an answer. Looks like the vast majority of acceptances for the History MA have already gone out. IU doesn't waitlist the MAs, but they do tend to hold onto rejections until the end of March. If you haven't heard anything either way, it's more likely to be a rejection. Sorry, @klynn

Edited by historyofsloths

Hi everyone! I've been reading for a while but this is my first comment.  Has anyone heard anything recently from/have any experiences with the wait list at IU or UCSD?  Especially curious about UCSD given that someone posted that they got rejected today?

Edited by Redsfan98

31 minutes ago, Redsfan98 said:

Hi everyone! I've been reading for a while but this is my first comment.  Has anyone heard anything recently from/have any experiences with the wait list at IU or UCSD?  Especially curious about UCSD given that someone posted that they got rejected today?

Yup, I just got my rejection from UCSD. It hurts because I communicated so actively with so many people there. I got an acceptance from my first choice though, so that softens the blow...