2021 Application Thread

dr. t

21 hours ago, CafeConGabi said:

Oh! Whoops! 

I was accepted to Univ of Denver for Religious Studies and UCLA for Chicanx Studies. 

I committed to UCLA ? 

That’s awesome!  Congratulations and best of luck in SoCal.

Did anyone applying to any of the history MSt programs at Oxford? They said decisions would be released in 8-10 weeks, and I'm being interviewed for a fellowship that would fund my graduate study there, but I haven't even heard a decision on my application yet. I haven't seen anything on the results page either, but I wasn't sure if anyone else knows anything about when to expect those results. 

Does anyone have any thoughts about an Oxford MSt vs. Cambridge MPhil (both one year MAs) in terms of competitiveness for later US PhD admissions? Is either considered more prestigious or rigorous, or are they generally considered equal? I've been lucky enough to have been admitted to both and am not sure how to think about the two choices :)

On 3/12/2021 at 2:06 PM, TMP said:

Do they actually email the right applicant?? Can you ask about the purpose of this Spanish oral exam?

On 3/13/2021 at 5:21 AM, Manana said:

I mean I think so, it was a personalized email. So weird. I'm not sure about asking them, I don't want to seem disrespectful or anything like that, but it is so weird and makes me really nervous

On 3/13/2021 at 10:48 AM, generalstrike said:

Just my 2 cents from afar: I don't think it's disrespectful at all to ask about the purpose of the test. If this is a component of what's expected of you as part of the program, they should have no problem telling you about it.

Late to the dance. In circumstances like this one, I recommend asking about the parameters of the exam rather than the purpose.

IME weirdness and anxiety can combine to set the stage for asking questions about purpose with an odd tone.

Conversely, questions about parameters of a task provide opportunities to appear calm and engaged and to receive information that can be used to answer the "why" question. 

On 3/29/2021 at 2:14 PM, flowersandcoffee said:

Oxford is very delayed this year! I believe MSt students are still waiting on acceptances/rejections. I only got my DPhil offer on Friday. 

here’s the discord for Oxford History applicants: 

hey come check out Discord with me https://discord.gg/zDZtCazj

Hiya I also received my DPhil offer very late this year compared to last year (which was  March 6th). Fingers crossed this time I get funding, because otherwise I will have to give up the dream once again. Hope to be classmates this fall!

2 hours ago, Sigaba said:

Late to the dance. In circumstances like this one, I recommend asking about the parameters of the exam rather than the purpose.

IME weirdness and anxiety can combine to set the stage for asking questions about purpose with an odd tone.

Conversely, questions about parameters of a task provide opportunities to appear calm and engaged and to receive information that can be used to answer the "why" question. 

Thank you! I have indeed asked for the parameters, was answered kindly. It was basically a 15 minute conversation. Not really sure how it went, I forgot a ton of words but managed to keep up with the conversation. I'm supposed to be notified soon if I had been accepted to the program, and I heard that they sometimes actually give feedback if you hadn't been accepted, we'll see.

Edited by Manana

On 3/27/2021 at 8:34 PM, bakeseal said:

Did anyone applying to any of the history MSt programs at Oxford? They said decisions would be released in 8-10 weeks, and I'm being interviewed for a fellowship that would fund my graduate study there, but I haven't even heard a decision on my application yet. I haven't seen anything on the results page either, but I wasn't sure if anyone else knows anything about when to expect those results. 

I assume you have already been notified, but anyway, from what I've heard, being interviewd for Ox-related funding means you have been accepted and shortlisted for funding by your department, which means they have been very impressed with your application. Well done!!

On 3/21/2021 at 3:05 PM, AfricanusCrowther said:

In my department, advisors are publicly assigned to students upon entry and in practice it is regarded as a sign of a serious problem if you have to change your advisor. In one's first year the advisor plays important roles in shaping the course of study for the student. I recognize that other history programs are more flexible, but I'm not sure what you mean by "no one owes you an explanation." Surely if the program has given this person an "interim advisor" they can ask what this term signifies.

Of course they can ask. My point was that the program will not give those explanations unless you ask for them. 

12 hours ago, flowersandcoffee said:

Has anyone had any luck getting off a waitlist? I’m on the Harvard waitlist and I have no idea how it’s composed or if there is any hope ... 

No idea- sitting on the Michigan waitlist and haven't heard anything. Anyone with insight, please feel free to share! Would be great to know how much to hope as I start to plan for other options.

2 hours ago, boydivision said:

No idea- sitting on the Michigan waitlist and haven't heard anything. Anyone with insight, please feel free to share! Would be great to know how much to hope as I start to plan for other options.

I'm on the waitlist at CU Boulder--I've contacted the DGS once and I've been chatting with my potential advisor throughout this period. They said there was a "distinct possibility" that they could make me an offer, so I am crossing my fingers!

Have you checked in with DGS or your potential advisor? Good luck!

On 4/5/2021 at 9:45 PM, flowersandcoffee said:

Has anyone had any luck getting off a waitlist? I’m on the Harvard waitlist and I have no idea how it’s composed or if there is any hope ... 

I got off the William & Mary waitlist today. Best of luck to you with the Harvard waitlist, and to all of the waitlisted folks out there! ?

Edited by cakeandcats

I was just waitlisted by EUI. Actually received a bit of a weird, convuluted email, saying tat I had been accepted but due to the low amount of international student grants I had been placed on the reserve list. So essentially waitlisted

I'm still technically on Berkeley's waitlist, but I received word that they don't expect to be taking anyone off this year (one more spot til they hit their target cohort size with several offers still out). Definitely disappointed as I really enjoyed all of the conversations I had in the department, but I unexpectedly received full funding to go to Oxford for my masters (after applying mostly as a joke, because I know masters funding is so rare). I'm waiting to see whether some outside funding I received makes any difference for Berkeley (though I don't expect it will). Hopefully having a masters and not applying in the middle of a global pandemic will make for a better application cycle next year? 

1 hour ago, bakeseal said:

but I unexpectedly received full funding to go to Oxford for my masters (after applying mostly as a joke, because I know masters funding is so rare).

This is bodes *really* well for your next cycle. Head up.

Hi all, wondering if it's appropriate to send an inquiry to DGS at this point about my waitlist status. I sent an email to DGS in March when first waitlisted, reaffirming my interest (got a very positive response, he said there was a "distinct possibility" they could make me an offer.) Sent an inquiry 10 days ago, but received no response. Is it appropriate to send an email now with the April 15th deadline looming? Thanks for the advice.