2021 Application Thread

dr. t

5 hours ago, kchistory said:

Hi everyone. I have a few virtual recruitment events coming up in the next few weeks. I'm not even sure of what questions to ask at this point. Can any current PhD students share questions they wish they had asked or things they wish they had known before starting their program? Thanks!

I came straight out of undergrad, so I didn't really know what to ask. You should try to get a sense of your advisor's advising style (e.g. very engaged, laissez-faire, or somewhere in the middle?).

6 hours ago, kchistory said:

Hi everyone. I have a few virtual recruitment events coming up in the next few weeks. I'm not even sure of what questions to ask at this point. Can any current PhD students share questions they wish they had asked or things they wish they had known before starting their program? Thanks!

On top of what others have said, I hope I had asked more about the institutional support for professional training and development (as opposed to the intellectual training), and you can probably also gauge people's interests in/open-mindedness about those matters through the conversation. 

For instance, what if I want to learn how to do digital humanities (e.g. historical GIS, Python, or statistical analysis)? What if I want to get systematically trained in pedagogy (as in going through a program to get a certificate and create a portfolio that involves multi-year commitment and effort)? What are the opportunities and (funding and other) support if I want to propose and organize a workshop? Are there professional duties/services expected of me, e.g. chairing a graduate studies groups for a year or more, or serving on some committees?

I personally find the experience of performing professional duties/community services, such as organizing events/workshops with invited speakers, very practical and helpful, especially in terms of learning how to navigate the logistics, e.g. "oh gosh all the nitty-gritty that can possibly go wrong! (and the tax exempt forms!)" 

I heard drastically different descriptions of my advisor's mentoring style before starting my program, and ended up asking mine about it directly. It turns out my advisor is more than happy to adjust their advising style to students' different needs and styles. (I am the type of students who wants to have at least weekly discussions with their advisor; but I know my case isn't necessarily common.) So, if there are no red flags, stay a bit of open-minded until you know your advisor(s) more might not be too bad an idea!

Edited by AnUglyBoringNerd
adding comments re: asking about advising style—

1 hour ago, sonnybunny said:

Anyone else besides Quail and I still waiting on a Boulder decision?

Me! Haven't heard anything. Almost emailed the grad coordinator on Monday but then just decided to leave it be and wait until they notify us. Practicing patience :) 

On an unrelated note, I did get a personal email from the DGS at Carnegie Mellon this morning, apologizing for the delay in processing admissions decisions. Basically said due to budgeting issues (pandemic related) they can't offer any spots yet, but indicated there was strong faculty interest in my application and that they would let me know as soon as possible if they can make a funding offer. Encouraging, but we'll see.

20 minutes ago, FortifyingMind said:

Me! Haven't heard anything. Almost emailed the grad coordinator on Monday but then just decided to leave it be and wait until they notify us. Practicing patience :) 

On an unrelated note, I did get a personal email from the DGS at Carnegie Mellon this morning, apologizing for the delay in processing admissions decisions. Basically said due to budgeting issues (pandemic related) they can't offer any spots yet, but indicated there was strong faculty interest in my application and that they would let me know as soon as possible if they can make a funding offer. Encouraging, but we'll see.

2 hours ago, sonnybunny said:

Anyone else besides Quail and I still waiting on a Boulder decision?

Though I'd like to hear today, I suspect decisions we'll come out at the end of the day tomorrow. Monday at the latest.

7 minutes ago, QuarantineQuail said:

Though I'd like to hear today, I suspect decisions we'll come out at the end of the day tomorrow. Monday at the latest.

I certainly hope so! @FortifyingMind, what is your field and did you apply for the MA or PhD? The DGS told me they had a large increase in the number of applications, hence the delay. DGS said "end of February" for decisions.

Edited by sonnybunny

9 minutes ago, sonnybunny said:

I certainly hope so! @FortifyingMind, what is your field and did you apply for the MA or PhD? The DGS told me they had a large increase in the number of applications, hence the delay. DGS said "end of February" for decisions.

PhD, U.S. environmental history

Good to know! I hope they don't leave us hanging well into March ?

2 minutes ago, FortifyingMind said:

PhD, U.S. environmental history

Good to know! I hope they don't leave us hanging well into March ?

Nice, I hope you, Quail and I all receive good news! I applied for the MA, race and popular culture of modern Europe. If I hear any news from my POI or anything, I'll let you both know.

Regarding UC Merced,EECS PhD Fall 2021 admission decision

After a discussion over email, a professor encouraged me to apply and I've submitted the application by the priority deadline (15th Dec) at the UC Merced, EECS PhD program. After application submission, he interviewed me on the 2nd week of January 2021. At the end of the interview, he was positive to accept me in his lab and told me the offer will be sent by February 2nd week. However, still, I didn't receive any decision and the professor not replying my emails. What should I do in this situation? Should I approach another professor? Any suggestion?

Edited by Anonymous_PhD_Applicant

I saw a post in the decisions section from someone doing Middle Eastern History at UCSD. Regarding funding, I think we are in the same position. Could you DM me to help me get some clarity on my email (and anyone else who knows how the UCSD funding works)? Thanks :)

Edited by Mayúscula

I saw this tweet and this is a good reminder.

Folks with rejections: it sucks. I know this is not much comfort, but remember that those rejections are not about you or your scholarship, they are symptoms of a broken system. 

I see you. ?

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.54.05 PM.png

I am not sure if this thread is strictly for PhD applications, but I got an e-mail regarding my application from the Columbia-LSE double degree master that I had a hard time interpreting. Does this mean that I am waitlisted or is this something that happens to all applications that are rejected? 

''Due to the highly competitive applicant pool in this cycle, we are unable to make you an offer of admission at this time. Your application will be moved to the general review round and re-evaluated after the March 18 deadline.''

From their webpage: 

-Applicants who receive a waitlist decision during the first evaluation round will be automatically considered during the regular decision evaluation process and do not need to reapply.

- Applicants who are denied admission during the first evaluation round cannot reapply for consideration during the regular decision evaluation process, but are welcome to apply again the following year (subject to the GSAS policy on reapplying)

23 minutes ago, sonnybunny said:

Oh no, I’m so sorry! Were you notified via POI or portal? Thanks for letting me know. Best luck to you for the future. 

No worries. I've been through this enough to not be sad about it anymore. Will keep working and try again next year.

It was an email to check the portal. Did you receive a decision?

1 minute ago, QuarantineQuail said:

No worries. I've been through this enough to not be sad about it anymore. Will keep working and try again next year.

It was an email to check the portal. Did you receive a decision?

Good for you! This year was so tough. 

I do not yet have a decision in the portal. I’m assuming it’s coming out in waves or that the MA applicants are being notified at a different time than PhD. 

It was nice chatting with you this cycle. I hope you have a relaxing weekend planned!

46 minutes ago, sonnybunny said:

Good for you! This year was so tough. 

I do not yet have a decision in the portal. I’m assuming it’s coming out in waves or that the MA applicants are being notified at a different time than PhD. 

It was nice chatting with you this cycle. I hope you have a relaxing weekend planned!

It was good to talk to you too! Please don't be shy to PM in the future if you want to talk about academics. Crossing my fingers for you.

9 hours ago, Sleepless in skellefteå said:

I am not sure if this thread is strictly for PhD applications, but I got an e-mail regarding my application from the Columbia-LSE double degree master that I had a hard time interpreting. Does this mean that I am waitlisted or is this something that happens to all applications that are rejected? 

''Due to the highly competitive applicant pool in this cycle, we are unable to make you an offer of admission at this time. Your application will be moved to the general review round and re-evaluated after the March 18 deadline.''

From their webpage: 

-Applicants who receive a waitlist decision during the first evaluation round will be automatically considered during the regular decision evaluation process and do not need to reapply.

- Applicants who are denied admission during the first evaluation round cannot reapply for consideration during the regular decision evaluation process, but are welcome to apply again the following year (subject to the GSAS policy on reapplying)

It means that your application is rejected in the first round (early review), and they will re-evaluate your application in the second round (general review).