MPH 2021 Canada

28 minutes ago, bc.mph.applicant said:

Just got into SFU's MPH program today today too! Still waiting to hear back from UBC.

Fingers crossed for everyone who is waiting to hear. Also my stats weren't crazy high - I had a 78% average for SFU's application (last 2 years of study), 1.5 years work experience in public health non-profit as an admin, and volunteering when I could make time (due to a chronic health condition). So really don't count yourself short! 

Thank you for sharing your stats and congrats on your admission!

31 minutes ago, MPH_Hopeful_2020 said:

Hi everyone, I'm a current first year MPH student at SFU, so feel free to hit me up if you have any questions about the program :) 

Hi, I just received my acceptance letter today from SFU! I am currently trying to decide between SFU MPH and UofA MPH Global Health. How has your experience been in the MPH program at SFU? 

20 hours ago, pandab3ar said:

I'm currently debating between Columbia, Johns Hopkins, and Tufts (joint Nutrition masters). What about you? 
I was worried I wouldn't hear from McGill by then, but I literally just found out today so I wouldn't lose hope just yet! Also, it seems Canadian schools want an answer sooner than US schools, so maybe the later the notification the better lol

Hi there! I'm considering JHU MSPH in nutrition while I wait for Canadian schools as well :) 

52 minutes ago, logan1508 said:

Hi, I just received my acceptance letter today from SFU! I am currently trying to decide between SFU MPH and UofA MPH Global Health. How has your experience been in the MPH program at SFU? 

Congrats on your acceptance to SFU!!! Have you heard back from UofA?

3 hours ago, cryingstudent said:

hi guys i just wanted to come and say i got an offer from uofa for health policy!!! best of luck to everyone!!

Congratulations!! Did you get that email today?

3 hours ago, logan1508 said:

Wait UofA Global health stream already released admission decisions? Are you domestic or international?

Did any international student receive admission from UofA and SFU

Hi! New to this forum :)

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted so far and best of luck to those still waiting. 

I was wondering if anyone has any tips. I’ve been accepted to one program, but am still waiting to hear back from another. What do I do if I don’t hear back from the other program before the deadline to accept the first? I’m still undecided on which program I’d prefer. 

If I decide I like the other program better, I don’t want to accept this program in case I get accepted to the other. But on the other hand. If I don’t get accepted to the other I don’t want to reject the first !

This is all hypothetical because I don’t even know which program I’d prefer at this point, but am getting worried.  What do I do?? Any suggestions or people in similar situations ?

Thank you in advance :)

2 minutes ago, Confusedfrog said:

Hi! New to this forum :)

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted so far and best of luck to those still waiting. 

I was wondering if anyone has any tips. I’ve been accepted to one program, but am still waiting to hear back from another. What do I do if I don’t hear back from the other program before the deadline to accept the first? I’m still undecided on which program I’d prefer. 

If I decide I like the other program better, I don’t want to accept this program in case I get accepted to the other. But on the other hand. If I don’t get accepted to the other I don’t want to reject the first !

This is all hypothetical because I don’t even know which program I’d prefer at this point, but am getting worried.  What do I do?? Any suggestions or people in similar situations ?

Thank you in advance :)

Hello and welcome! What schools did you  apply to (and what streams, if applicable)?

So the very first thing you should check is whether that first offer requires a deposit to accept. Not all schools do (U of A, for example), so you should check on that. From there, you have a couple of options (and if someone notices I'm missing something, then do add on!).

If they don't require a deposit, you can either accept right away or wait until the offer deadline just to guarantee that you have somewhere to go. And if you get accepted somewhere else and choose there, you can contact the first school and let them know you no longer wish to attend the program/want to turn down the offer now. They can't really hold you to it if you haven't made any deposit. If you decide you do indeed want to go to the first school or you don't get other offers, you're already set and have a spot!

If they do require a deposit, your first step should probably be to email and see if they're willing to extend the offer deadline (until a specific date, if you know when you can anticipate hearing from other schools, or just extend by a week or two, maybe). Some schools may be willing, especially if they are big, and are confident they could fill the spot later pulling from the waitlist. Smaller schools might not be so willing, but you'll never know unless you ask! If they're willing to give you an extension, that gives you a bit more time, but you still might end up in the same situation if you haven't heard anything still. If they're not willing to give an extension, then you'll just have to weigh your options.

You could accept now (or right before the offer deadline) and pay the deposit, because you aren't sure about the other program(s) and don't want to risk not having a spot. If you get accepted elsewhere and decide that's where you'd prefer, you'd have to just suck up the deposit, they won't return it to you. If you don't get offers elsewhere or decide the first school is where you want to go, then you're all set and accepted and paid! However, if you decide you don't want to risk losing the deposit, then you could choose not to accept the offer and hope that you get another offer. Alternatively, if you decide to reject the offer/let the deadline pass, but then decide soon after the deadline that you would actually still like to go there, you could try emailing and asking if they would still honour the offer. This is probably the least likely option, though. 

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!

16 minutes ago, bg3 said:

Hello and welcome! What schools did you  apply to (and what streams, if applicable)?

So the very first thing you should check is whether that first offer requires a deposit to accept. Not all schools do (U of A, for example), so you should check on that. From there, you have a couple of options (and if someone notices I'm missing something, then do add on!).

If they don't require a deposit, you can either accept right away or wait until the offer deadline just to guarantee that you have somewhere to go. And if you get accepted somewhere else and choose there, you can contact the first school and let them know you no longer wish to attend the program/want to turn down the offer now. They can't really hold you to it if you haven't made any deposit. If you decide you do indeed want to go to the first school or you don't get other offers, you're already set and have a spot!

If they do require a deposit, your first step should probably be to email and see if they're willing to extend the offer deadline (until a specific date, if you know when you can anticipate hearing from other schools, or just extend by a week or two, maybe). Some schools may be willing, especially if they are big, and are confident they could fill the spot later pulling from the waitlist. Smaller schools might not be so willing, but you'll never know unless you ask! If they're willing to give you an extension, that gives you a bit more time, but you still might end up in the same situation if you haven't heard anything still. If they're not willing to give an extension, then you'll just have to weigh your options.

You could accept now (or right before the offer deadline) and pay the deposit, because you aren't sure about the other program(s) and don't want to risk not having a spot. If you get accepted elsewhere and decide that's where you'd prefer, you'd have to just suck up the deposit, they won't return it to you. If you don't get offers elsewhere or decide the first school is where you want to go, then you're all set and accepted and paid! However, if you decide you don't want to risk losing the deposit, then you could choose not to accept the offer and hope that you get another offer. Alternatively, if you decide to reject the offer/let the deadline pass, but then decide soon after the deadline that you would actually still like to go there, you could try emailing and asking if they would still honour the offer. This is probably the least likely option, though. 

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Thank you so much for the helpful comment :) (hopefully I’m replying in the right way. Still not sure about how this forum works!)

I heard back from McMaster today (yesterday technically since it’s past midnight. ) The email said I should receive an official offer in 1-2 weeks once approved by SGS. 

I am waiting to hear back from UofT for epidemiology  

Edited by Confusedfrog

9 minutes ago, Confusedfrog said:

Thank you so much for the helpful comment :) (hopefully I’m replying in the right way. Still not sure about how this forum works!)

I heard back from McMaster today (yesterday technically since it’s past midnight. ) The email said I should receive an official offer in 1-2 weeks once approved by SGS. 

I am waiting to hear back from UofT for epidemiology  

Hey what stats and experience did you apply with? 

11 hours ago, bc.mph.applicant said:

For anyone offered admission to SFU, did the letter mention anything about a "funding package"? 

Hi! 

I got accepted to SFU MPH yesterday (?), and yes, my offer letter mentioned a funding package. Still haven't had time to look into what it means though - I might reach out to them soon. 

Hi everyone,

I applied to McMaster's MPH program. I recently logged into the Mosaic portal and I see my status as 'pending', however, I also see additional boxes (letter, response due date, supp app) that wasn't there before. For anyone who applied to McMaster's MPH program, did you notice this change too?

On 3/17/2021 at 11:50 AM, Excel725 said:

That's so amazing!!! What stats and experiences did you apply with if you don't mind sharing :)

Thank you so much! :) My apologies for the delay in response.

In June 2019, I graduated with from Ryerson University with a Bachelor of Applied Science in Public Health and Safety. The program is recognized by the Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors. In the final semester of the 4 year program, my GPA was 3.92.

I gained some research experience through an undergraduate thesis project that I conducted under the supervision of a professor. My poster presentation for the research project I did was judged as 3rd best representing public health at the School of Occupational and Public Health (SOPHe) Student Research Symposium in April 2019. 

I presently work as COVID-19 Contact Tracer with the Ontario Ministry of Health - my first role in Public Health! My role primarily entails providing public health education to individuals who are identified as close contacts of people diagnosed with COVID-19. I also have some experience as a COVID-19 Case Investigator from when I assisted with Toronto Public Health Health's surge cases. 

I volunteered with Peel Public Health's Needle Exchange Program on a weekly basis for a few months. As a volunteer for this program, I was assembling "Quick Packs" with the goal of preventing the spread of blood-borne disease among drug users and self-piercers. 

So, nothing really exceptional in terms of public health experience. 

Both of my references were academic (a preference from MPH programs). A strong Letter of Intent is also super important for MPH applications! 

Wishing you all the best, 

Kelly