MPH 2021 Canada

5 minutes ago, Anon44 said:

I’ve seen people post that they got accepted to Western’s MPH... should I be worried that I haven’t heard anything from them? Hoping that doesn’t mean rejection

I’m also waiting to hear from them, I just saw one post of acceptance yesterday but I’m sure there are more people not on this forum. My application statues is still just “applied”. Hoping to hear something today. Good luck! Did you apply anywhere else? I applied to 6 program! The stress is real ?

28 minutes ago, Anon44 said:

Where did you hear that they had 800 applications? That’s so many compared to previous years!... Right?

Yeah! I'm not sure if it ended up being around 800 or more, I have a mutual connection within the program faculty who gave me this rough number. They (as well as admin assistants from both Waterloo and UVic) let me know that application numbers this year have close to doubled previous years. They assume that because of the pandemic, suddenly everyone knows what public health is! (which sucks for those of us who are *hipsters* and liked public health before it was *cool*) 

Does anyone know what the etiquette and/or answer is for requesting a faster reply due to time constraints for another school's offer? I've got ~10 days to reply to SFU's offer, but want to know my standing with UBC (no reply yet) first. 

Also, good luck to everyone! For those who got rejections, it'll be ok- I got rejected to all my programs last year and it all worked out for the best. The universe will lead you where you need to be :) 

1 hour ago, Excel725 said:

Congrats! Not too sure about the stats tbh. If you don't mind sharing, what stats and experiences did you apply to mac with? 

cGPA: 3.28 GPA of the 10 upper year courses: 3.70

8 months experience as a research assistant

1 year experience as a mentor

1 year experience with a non -profit kinda public health related that was mainly just tutoring

don't really have great stats or experience tbh

56 minutes ago, bbj said:

i think im not accepted tbh because so many people got their acceptances and people know if they're on a wait list 

Hey, I haven't heard back from UBC MPH regarding acceptance/rejection yet.

Obviously I'm sure each school's process is a bit different, but I have a feeling hearing later might mean you're a second or third round pick or higher up on the waitlist and they're waiting to see how all the spots are filling up with the applicants they've already sent acceptance letters to. They don't want to have to send out too many emails and increase the work load for their administrative staff. Just a thought! Good luck! 

1 minute ago, bc.mph.applicant said:

Hey, I haven't heard back from UBC MPH regarding acceptance/rejection yet.

Obviously I'm sure each school's process is a bit different, but I have a feeling hearing later might mean you're a second or third round pick or higher up on the waitlist and they're waiting to see how all the spots are filling up with the applicants they've already sent acceptance letters to. They don't want to have to send out too many emails and increase the work load for their administrative staff. Just a thought! Good luck! 

Ya that's a good point. But since people knew their number for waitlist for SFU and i haven't heard anything it's starting to get me worried. It's just been radio silence. But there isn't anything I can do other than wait :( Thanks for what you said tho it calmed my nerves a bit. Good luck to you too and I hope we hear back soon :)

24 minutes ago, GingerDwight said:

Yeah! I'm not sure if it ended up being around 800 or more, I have a mutual connection within the program faculty who gave me this rough number. They (as well as admin assistants from both Waterloo and UVic) let me know that application numbers this year have close to doubled previous years. They assume that because of the pandemic, suddenly everyone knows what public health is! (which sucks for those of us who are *hipsters* and liked public health before it was *cool*) 

800 applicants and 25 seats... gotta love a 3% acceptance rate if that’s the case!!! :)

3 minutes ago, gbabs said:

Got an email saying I got into western this morning. Just waiting on UofT lol they really taking their sweet time. Sorry to hear about everyone’s rejections, hoping better news for all of us in the next upcoming weeks!! ?

Congratulations! What are your stats? When is the deadline to accept? 

1 minute ago, minniexo_ said:

Congratulations! What are your stats? When is the deadline to accept? 

Thank you!! They said I need to accept/reject by April 16. I had a gpa of about 3.4 and a couple of years experience in the non-profit world. Nothing too serious lol 

Just now, gbabs said:

Thank you!! They said I need to accept/reject by April 16. I had a gpa of about 3.4 and a couple of years experience in the non-profit world. Nothing too serious lol 

Are you graduating this year or have previously graduated? Thank youuuu

Just now, gbabs said:

I’m also an international student!!

24 minutes ago, Maha M said:

cGPA: 3.28 GPA of the 10 upper year courses: 3.70

8 months experience as a research assistant

1 year experience as a mentor

1 year experience with a non -profit kinda public health related that was mainly just tutoring

don't really have great stats or experience tbh

Congrats!!! Did you provide two academic references? 

Edited by Excel725

6 minutes ago, Excel725 said:

Congrats!!! Did you provide two academic references? 

Yes they weren't profs I was super close with I took one class with both of them, so I'm not too sure how strong those references were.