Is there such thing as too many degrees?

GradSchoolGrad

Does having too many degrees begin to be a negative factor to employers at a certain point? or in general? Thoughts?

My situation that makes me wonder

I have a degree from undergrad and 2 different masters (fortunate enough to be sponsored for all 3).

I was thinking that after my current job now for 5 years or so (maybe more, maybe less)... to pursue another master's degree for another career pivot. I'm just one of those people likes to do new things all the time and learn new things. Funding isn't issue (at least not now)... Time, that is something I need to think about personally.

However, I have been warned that if I get more than what I have now, it becomes a negative to employers.

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

I think it depends how this could be interpreted. It may look like you do not seem to know where you're going, why you're doing the things you're doing on a resume with too many degrees. BUT, if they tend to complement one another and there's some type of link between all these degrees, this can look as an asset.

Just my two cents. But at the end of the day, you do what you want depending on what your career goals are :)

Edited by Adelaide9216

3 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

Does having too many degrees begin to be a negative factor to employers at a certain point? or in general? Thoughts?

My situation that makes me wonder

I have a degree from undergrad and 2 different masters (fortunate enough to be sponsored for all 3).

I was thinking that after my current job now for 5 years or so (maybe more, maybe less)... to pursue another master's degree for another career pivot. I'm just one of those people likes to do new things all the time and learn new things. Funding isn't issue (at least not now)... Time, that is something I need to think about personally.

However, I have been warned that if I get more than what I have now, it becomes a negative to employers.

It will depend upon the industry, the firm, and your role. If the criteria for hiring center around the ability to do the job, does a third master's send a better message than experience that demonstrates the ability to handle projects and responsibilities that are more complex over time? Are you seeking employment at a firm that has a critical mass of true believers? If so, a third degree could be used as a razor to shred you.

Are there professional certifications that you could get instead of a third master's degree? Can you take courses / gain experience that expand your skills on a personal professional level?

The pivots themselves could be problematic if they take you to different industries and/or vastly different career paths. Can you point to the pivots as part of a broader plan to provide maximum value to your employers?

• 3 weeks later...

It all depends,  if one is building up a profile for a specific purpose like; going into politics or becoming an SA for a public figure,  adding additional degrees may not be an issue. It will just be a goalless move to be adding up degrees without a specific thing to achieve with it.

• 2 months later...

I don't think the degree would be the issue, but rather the lack of consistent direction.  I think it's fine to want to do new things all the time (in fact, this is recognized as a type of vocational pattern/style- but I don't remember the model it comes from), but employers may wince at your checkered background.  For example, what's to stop them from thinking, "this person is clearly interested in this position now, but it looks like they're going to leave in a couple years for something different."  I've been on lots of search committees and I have these thoughts all the time.  

In spirit I want to say the more education the better, but it probably depends on the situation a bit. I hold a MS and a PhD and am starting my MBA next week. This degree offers me a chance to acquire skills I don't have but will want as I operationalize my PhD research. I would think more school generally won't hurt and will sometimes help. For me, I just had to decide if more class time is worth it as I have certainly had plenty of them.

1 hour ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Just because you have that many degrees doesn't mean you have to disclose all of them.  Depending on the type of job you're seeking it may not be relevant to mention all of your degrees.

That said, how do you explain those periods in your CV—it’s the first question I would be asking.

I think its really going to depend on what is being applied for that will determine what ends up being included on a CV or even a resume (the OP didn't specify which they were drafting).  If a person lists that they earned a degree in say 2010 and then there's no work activity for six years, that would definitely have to be explained.  If they weren't in the work force due to returning to school then that could be explained in a cover letter and/or by listing the current degree in progress.  If a person has earned two Master's degree's in unrelated subjects and is applying to positions in only one of those subjects, it may not be helpful to mention the other Master's.  There are endless scenarios that might make it best to tailor ones CV or resume to a specific industry or position.  

• 2 weeks later...