Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering Fall 2021 Admission Results

Bioenglover

On 2/24/2021 at 6:59 AM, idklol said:

Just wanted to hear some words from the reject side of things...I applied for BME schools and I've been rejected by 5 schools (including my own), and had a PI interview that was then rejected (so basically a 6th reject), and the 2 schools I'm waiting on are Georgia Tech and CMU but it seems late now to receive an interview request. Any general advice for a sadboi reject? What should I do next year? How do people come back strong from complete rejection during the next cycle? I don't have anything lined up for next year yet but my ultimate goal is a PhD

I was in the same boat last year (got rejected by all 8 I applied to) and ended up applying to some of the masters programs that had later deadlines. Don't think I was able to strengthen my CV enough though seeing that I'm getting all rejects again this year... Can't speak for post-baccs but in my opinion lab technician/industry positions would really help building your technical repertoire (I've learnt that lab technicians aren't always openly advertised either, so to second heistotron, worth asking around your school/home department labs). 

1 hour ago, bunsenburn said:

I was in the same boat last year (got rejected by all 8 I applied to) and ended up applying to some of the masters programs that had later deadlines.

Hi, I am considering the masters route as I haven't gotten an acceptance for PhD programs yet. Did you do a 1 year MS or M.Eng? Would you say it's worth it to do a Masters and were you able to do research during the program?

On 2/23/2021 at 10:58 PM, bmephdapplicant said:

Got an email from a current student at Virginia Tech asking if I have any questions about the school/program, and saying "if you have any questions about accepting your admittance" to email the graduate director. But I haven't been accepted yet. Mistake or spoiler?

I got the same email today and got a VT engineering tote bag, pin, and phone wallet in the mail. I don't have an acceptance letter either but my friend got an acceptance letter and an invite to the recruitment weekend which starts today. I have no idea what is going on and I'm doing the NIH PREP program here.

25 minutes ago, gummybears said:

I got the same email today and got a VT engineering tote bag, pin, and phone wallet in the mail. I don't have an acceptance letter either but my friend got an acceptance letter and an invite to the recruitment weekend which starts today. I have no idea what is going on and I'm doing the NIH PREP program here.

i just got the same package today. have you answered the email or reached out to the graduate director? 

18 minutes ago, bmephdapplicant said:

i just got the same package today. have you answered the email or reached out to the graduate director? 

I responded to the student that emailed me asking if this was a mistake and to see if this was supposed to be sent to my cohort member who is in the same NIH PREP program as me.

On 2/25/2021 at 4:02 PM, adrf8 said:

Hi, I am considering the masters route as I haven't gotten an acceptance for PhD programs yet. Did you do a 1 year MS or M.Eng? Would you say it's worth it to do a Masters and were you able to do research during the program?

I'm doing an master of research across the pond, a heavily research focused degree so yeah definitely get to do research. Personally I am enjoying it despite it not really helping (the outcome of) my applications this year. I think it's worth it as a step towards PhD although sometimes I think if I had taken a technician position, 1. I would be payed instead of paying and 2. get to develop more solid technical skills (perhaps also a better chance to get name on a paper? Depending on the lab).

Hi everyone. Just checking with you all that UCLA is not a rotation-based BE program. It admits people directly into labs, right? Because the lack of decisions on Gradcafe is confusing me. If it was direct admission, shouldn't some people have been accepted by now? So weird.

Edited by Maaa

On 2/25/2021 at 1:36 PM, gummybears said:

I responded to the student that emailed me asking if this was a mistake and to see if this was supposed to be sent to my cohort member who is in the same NIH PREP program as me.

did you get a response from this yet? i reached out to the graduate coordinator

13 minutes ago, bmephdapplicant said:

I have a zoom meeting with the student on Wednesday. I have no idea what to expect, but she told me to reach out to the graduate coordinator in my department for specific details about my decision. The email and mailed package was supposed to be sent to me though. If I were to make a guess, I think we're waitlisted, but I don't know. Honestly, I'm not gonna reach out to the graduate coordinator because I like my other options. 

13 hours ago, jienigui said:

Will all BU offers come out? Anyone still waiting for the decisions?

According to results page it's been more than a couple weeks since their last PhD offers went out, and it looks like the number of acceptance posts are comparable/if not exceeding previous years. There were people who heard back today from the PhD program and they were wait-listed. However, it looks like they're still releasing Masters offers. Sorry not to have better news ?

Did anyone else get the email from UMichigan BME about a "Michigan Engineering Virtual Visit Graduate Student Society Event"? Is this a mass email sent to all the applicants to their grad programs? I'm a little confused.

1 hour ago, biomedhopeful said:

Did anyone else get the email from UMichigan BME about a "Michigan Engineering Virtual Visit Graduate Student Society Event"? Is this a mass email sent to all the applicants to their grad programs? I'm a little confused.

I didn't get that so I think it's a good sign for you

Got an email that CMU BME decision notifications will be out by the end of March. I never got an interview, but is it too late to reach out to PIs about the program? I can't tell if this means the decision is a reject if we haven't gotten interviews yer

7 hours ago, idklol said:

Got an email that CMU BME decision notifications will be out by the end of March. I never got an interview, but is it too late to reach out to PIs about the program? I can't tell if this means the decision is a reject if we haven't gotten interviews yer

Looking at their past timeline and this year's "accepted" posts for their PhD program, I think the odds of getting an acceptance at this point aren't too high. Maybe they're selecting to whom they should offer entry into master's programs? All guess work, of course.

As for your question, I don't think it would hurt to try contacting professors you're interested in even if it might be too late. I don't think CMU BME is rotation-based, so there might be professors who just haven't accepted anyone yet because they were busy or something.

I'm not planning on reaching out to anyone because I'm not planning on choosing CMU. They're not really a good fit for me - I wouldn't be surprised at all if they thought the same and rejected me. I only applied because my POI had said he will recruit only one student if his funding situation allows and that I seem like a good fit for his lab. Chances were slim and I wasn't too interested in other labs but I applied anyway. I've also already been accepted into one of my top choice programs. Still, I'm curious about how their application process goes (for my friends who plan on applying in 1~2 years), so please let us know if any of your POIs get back to you and mention anything about what's going on!

Edited by Maaa

1 hour ago, Hisky said:

For people who got JHU BME offers, do you get an admission to a specific track or is it just broad BME? Also, do any of you know if all admissions have been sent out?

I believe only part of the offers have been sent. None of international students around me (or on gradcafe) has received any decisions yet.

On 2/28/2021 at 12:40 AM, bmephdapplicant said:

It was basically a chat to see if I had any questions about Virginia Tech. I'm on campus so I didn't have much to say. Virginia Tech admissions are rolling, so you can still get in without being invited to the interview weekend. Sometimes you can get in after the April 15th deadline. 

As far as I know, JHU BME has sent out (most) rotation offers. But the RA offers are sent saperately from the POIs, maybe some of the POIs haven't sent out their offer. Most international students will receive the RA offer but not rotation offer.

ps. To the folks who received the rotation offer in IMAGING TRACK and get any better offers: Pleaseeeeee reject it (no need to do that asap, just before April). I am a current student at JHU BME, and it is my top choice. I want this offer sooooo bad. Please ? 

1 hour ago, GIAO said:

As far as I know, JHU BME has sent out (most) rotation offers. But the RA offers are sent saperately from the POIs, maybe some of the POIs haven't sent out their offer. Most international students will receive the RA offer but not rotation offer.

ps. To the folks who received the rotation offer in IMAGING TRACK and get any better offers: Pleaseeeeee reject it (no need to do that asap, just before April). I am a current student at JHU BME, and it is my top choice. I want this offer sooooo bad. Please ? 

do you mean RA offers are sent 'FROM POIs'? Are POIs the people that will send intl students offers? Just out of curiosity, did coordinator or who sent the rotation offers?

7 minutes ago, offercome said:

do you mean RA offers are sent 'FROM POIs'? Are POIs the people that will send intl students offers? Just out of curiosity, did coordinator or who sent the rotation offers?

I'm not sure if the RA offers are literally sent from the POIs.

The BME commitee has finished the meeting and sent out most of the rotation offers. But the RA offers are determined by the POIs, so there is more flexibility on the time. Maybe some POIs haven't made his/her decision.

I think you could reach out directly to the POIs you mentioned in your application to inquire. Good luck!

Just curious but how many people will get rejection after interview for JHU BME? I check yr 2020 and yr 2019 and there is no PhD rejection posted on the cafe after the interview, which is pretty weird. Is that because people simply don't care anymore at that time point? Sorry I am new to this forum...